I bought my first TPMS tool

Because @Trav was right, once you get going with tools, it doesn't stop
It's an Autel TS508WF, which is just a 508 with WiFi added for easier updating
Those updates are free for life, respectively
It does OBD relearns, which I need with several Toyota products wandering around
PXL_20220624_205504446.jpg

Comes in an agreeable fabric bag with mini USB charger cable and OBD2 cable
PXL_20220624_211403079.jpg

Once out the box, had to get it registered and updated
PXL_20220624_211249544.jpg

Then I charged it, then I took it outside for a try on some cars
PXL_20220624_212322036.jpg

Checked all the sensors on the Milan fine 👍
PXL_20220624_212553934.jpg

Did OBD comparison check on Project xB just fine
PXL_20220625_201732432.jpg

Struck out on my dad's work issued 2010 Prius, the RF doesn't have a sensor, just a rubber stem
Both front tires are down to the cords, so when it goes in for maintenance, I'll see if I can talk them into swapping on a rim with TPMS sensor
They're usually amicable to my requests (they thought I was Moses when I introduced them to the spill free funnel)

Now this demonstration was on a vehicle with fully functional TPMS, but I might have a vehicle drop in with a malfunctioning TPMS as a real test
I posted about that Avalon I had in for maintenance a few weeks ago
A tire shop failed twice to put the light out, perhaps I will succeed 💪
If I can fix it, I could charge 😮
Imagine that, profit 🥰
I never profit 😭
This is a full sensor ID capture, and OBD relearn on a 2009 xB, which has no on board programming capabilities

Fairly responsive
PXL_20220626_022038161.jpg

Capturing the data
PXL_20220626_022047520.jpg

Looking at the data captured
PXL_20220626_022116591.jpg

Following the wizard
PXL_20220626_022232356.jpg

Writing the sensor IDs
Apparently some Toyota vehicles need the TPMS system "unlocked", to accept new data
Apparently Autel has baked that into the process, but it makes the dash really confused for 30 seconds or so

PXL_20220626_022307259.jpg

Success 🤌
PXL_20220626_022313337.jpg

If you have TPMS DTCs, it'll show them to you, also if the light is currently on or not
This screen with it's green indicators is showing the OBD data is jiving with the stored data
PXL_20220626_022327458.jpg

Comparing captured data vs OBD data
"Before and after" if you will
PXL_20220626_022341512.jpg

Concluding with applicable notes

Overall, a fairly intuitive and speedy way to deal with TPMS
Granted, I didn't really fix anything, as nothing was broken, but proof of concept 🤷‍♂️

So far, I've tried it on

xB, Milan, XT4, Prius, and it's always given usable data

I don't know much about Autels proprietary branded MX universal sensors, as I don't plan to use them

If one needed service, I usually would have my tire shop swap in the correct OEM (Schrader/Denso/TRW/Pacific) sensor as needed

I'll update the post if I truly manage to solve anything with it

I triple dog dare you to get the HF tire changer so you can break beads and sneak new sensors in.

If you don't break the inboard bead, you won't move the tire on the rim, and won't have to rebalance anything.

I've got the same sans WF and used it on an '11 Camry when swapping wheels from alloys to steelies (all seasons vs snows). It worked.

If you get the HF tire changer go ahead and pick up a hood, gloves, grinder and their highest-reviewed welder on YT. Then go to HD and get a hammer drill, SDS bit, drop-in concrete anchors and the appropriate driver. Trust me. Mine gets more use than it should but it needs improvements to be truly useful (including the bead breaker fo sho)

The Autel MX sensors work well. I have been using them for years. I have a bunch of ts508s because our vendors usually kick a deal around with a free ts508 with the purchase of a brick of sensors (20 sensors). I prefer the TS608 personally because the screen is much larger but the 508 gets the job done.

I triple dog dare you to get the HF tire changer so you can break beads and sneak new sensors in.

If you don't break the inboard bead, you won't move the tire on the rim, and won't have to rebalance anything.
STOP MAKING ME SPEND MONEY 😭
THIS FORUM IS TRYING TO BANKRUPT ME 💳
I thought I drew a line at the $20 PTFE silicone and the $30 Shin Etsu grease, but you all find new ways to make my mailman suffer 🥵

I've got the same sans WF and used it on an '11 Camry when swapping wheels from alloys to steelies (all seasons vs snows). It worked.

If you get the HF tire changer go ahead and pick up a hood, gloves, grinder and their highest-reviewed welder on YT. Then go to HD and get a hammer drill, SDS bit, drop-in concrete anchors and the appropriate driver. Trust me. Mine gets more use than it should but it needs improvements to be truly useful (including the bead breaker fo sho)
I don't have the space 😒

But it would be nice

You can't go wrong with the Autel TS508WF. My workplace uses a TS508 (same tool minus Wi-Fi updating capabilities) to perform TPMS service and repairs on a variety of makes and models. With those tools, they can batch program up to 16 Autel MX-Sensors at the same time. Useful if you have a fleet of four cars of the same make, model, and year. Typically, programming four of those is plenty enough. You won't believe how a box of 20 were sold out instantly when we first used them. I was impressed with the TS508, I actually bought one myself.

Back