OBD Relearn Tool

Vehicle in question is a 2018 Pajero/Montero. Got some new Yokohama shoes put on, and the TPMS light appeared straightaway after installation; I was told I need do a "relearn" and performed the procedure outlined under "TPMS Reset" in the owner's manual. Unfortunately, that hasn't done anything, if at all, and I know they did not damage the sensors during installation.

I did notice these 433MHz sensors have a serviceable battery, albeit a very weird CR2050 battery I've never seen before. The part number is 4250C275, which is used across many different applications, such as the Outlander and Eclipse Cross.

That said, that light is annoying the heck out of me and an OBD relearn might need to be done. I'm looking at three different tools, and wondering if anybody has any experience with any of them on a Mitsubishi vehicle in particular; the ATEQ VT36, the Autel MaxiTPMS TS501 and the Autel MaxiTPMS TS508. Thank you!

I’ve used an Autel MaxiSys MK808 with OE replacement sensors - I used the OE menus to do the relearn.

If I had to get a dedicated TPMS tool, I’d get the Autel TS508. Keep in mind, it can do a relearn of OEM sensor IDs; but the only aftermarket sensors it will program is Autel MX-Sensors - this prevents you from using BH/Schrader/Dill programmable sensors. Supposedly one of the Autels can unlock VDO Redi-Sensors. The ATEQ doesn’t do OBD relearns. The VT56 does. Except for the most recent Tundra/Sequoia and all the new TNGA-based Toyota models, all Japanese cars must be OBD relearned. The ATEQ VT36 says it does relearns - but only for American/European cars where a sensor can be waken up and the car put in learn mode.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation! I ended up going with an Autel MaxiTPMS TS601, which is an upgrade to the TS508 minus the Quick Mode & Advance Mode, but with the Read TPMS Live Data feature. Not a huge fan of TPMS, but considering I got two vehicles with TPMS monitors, this should save a lot of headaches in the future.

Back