Please recommend portable GPS for auto use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of these do traffic-jam avoidance? I was looking forward to the Dash Express for just this feature but it looks like they died before getting to market.

I was looking forward to Dash Express, too. I though they did, actually, get to market, then faltered shortly thereafter...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I have a garmin, just the cheapest wide screen...

The key IMO, is to get the biggest screen, widescreen preferable.

Smart comment of the day.

The big, wide screen is essential, particularly when you're suddenly off-course in the middle of nowhere.

I have a Garmin 255W and it works well. I am a truck driver and have been using GPS for about 6 months now. It really makes my job easier. I have noticed that sometimes it can't find a specific address, esp in industrial parks.

Another for Garmin Nuvi. After going through many GPS reviews ended up with Garmin nuvi 780. I also think that Garmin GPS makes some of the best units in the industry. So for me it was a matter of one of the best brands, plus all the great features.

Originally Posted By: calvin1
Do any of these do traffic-jam avoidance? I was looking forward to the Dash Express for just this feature but it looks like they died before getting to market.

The higher end Garmins do and they work very reliably IMO.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: calvin1

Yes my Garmin does but you have to subscribe and pay a fee.

Go here...

http://forums.gpsreview.net

Do some reading... ask some questions.

I have the Garmin 255W that I picked up on sale.

Sometimes I simply drive around town with the map up but no programming for it to take me to a destinating. It is very interesting to get the "big picture" via the wide-screen to see where you are. As well, I have learned new shorter routes around town and gotten un-lost a few times with it.

The big test will be a trip from Ottawa, Ontario Canada to San Antonio, Texas USA... although I don't plan on relying solely on the Garmin unit... will still be using good old paper maps alongside the Garmin.

Technology is great... but sometimes it does break at the most inopportune of moments... so I want my backup paper maps on a long trip.

What kind of man are you... Maps? You are supposed to drive around endlessly while your wife/partner hassles you to stop and ask for directions!
LOL.gif

On a trip to the Toronto area last year, I relied on a GPS unit and online mapping (yahoo, google), and they had problems locating some addresses in some small city. Neither could find the addresses. It took me an hour of researching large streets and landmarks and using long/lat positioning to find the freaking address. If i had a paper map it would have taken 2 minutes.

Technology sometimes fails miserably

Originally Posted By: StevieC
What kind of man are you... Maps? You are supposed to drive around endlessly while your wife/partner hassles you to stop and ask for directions!
LOL.gif

LOL...

I'm a former long haul transport driver... never went anywhere without a truckers road atlas, pile of city maps, mountain guides... and left the wife at home.
LOL.gif

Good Advice
thumbsup2.gif
LOL.gif

I have my AZ (Candian Truck License) too... I got it for the fun of it and to have as a backup in case I'm ever unemployed!
grin2.gif

Count me as another Garmin advocate. I absolutely love mine. My first unit was a Magellan, that I received as a promo, and it was enough to swear me off of the brand. To say that is sucked would be a gross understatement.

Garmin 255W now on sale for $149.99 at Best Buy. If it's out of stock in store, don't bother ordering online, they're backordered (Thankfully my order wasn't backordered).

I have a Garmin 755t. I don't know if it's just mine or if it's a common issue with all Garmins, but it seems to take forever to find anything... like when you type a name of a store or restaurant, you're going to see the hour glass symbol forever. It won't even tell you that it was not found... sometimes it does find it, but then it takes ages to do that.

Also, th internal speaker volume could be louder. And the built-in FM transmitter is a joke - very poor reception... maybe because I have a rear-window built-in antenna, I'm not sure.

I used to have TomTom on my phone before. Granted, the screen size was a downside, but everything else seems more intuitive and better thought-out there compared to Garmin.

I bought a refurbished Tom Tom 1. It is my first GPS. I use it to navigate around greater Boston on a daily basis. I have also used it on trips to NC and Toronto and points in between. It did get a bit flummoxed down in Barnstable last Saturday, but I figured it out.

tigerdirect.com has refurbished Garmin NUVI's on for $99 I just got the e-mail.

Check it out... I have 2 refurb units in my Garmin collection and they work perfect!

I've never used a tomtom, but newegg has TomTom One 130 refurb for $69 + 20 MIR, for $49 after rebate.

(link)

Sony. The NVU-73t is the shiznit. Widescreen, fast route processing, accurate to a fault. Best window mount IMO. I had a Garmin, thought it was great, hope the punk that stole it is having a ball with it. Thanking him though, cause I find the Sony a better unit. Cheap at Sams Club, less than 150.00

Originally Posted By: StevieC
tigerdirect.com has refurbished Garmin NUVI's on for $99 I just got the e-mail.

I have been getting stuff from them for many years. Good to see the Garmin getting good reviews. My Sister is looking for a GPS.

I will get one at some point. I have my laptop and Microsoft streets/GPS receiver until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back