GPS uses other than point-to-point navigation

The GPS allows me to see the layout of unfamiliar roads I'm on. I can see what curves are coming up, and where intersections are. That's very useful when driving winding mountain roads, especially at night. I can also at a glance see alternative routes. Often I display nearby landmarks and decide on the fly which ones to visit. Other useful-to-me features are the speed warning feature, traffic alerts, and trip data. I also can turn on the backup camera for a better rear view. I do use the GPS to take me to unfamiliar addresses but I don't use it for city-to-city navigation. I prefer a small dash-mounted GPS unit over an integrated screen because I can place the device where I can easily see it without taking my eyes completely off the road. I had a Gamin that looked like an alarm clock back in the late '90s. How do you use your GPS?

Sometimes use it to see what altitude I'm at. On orange disc Acura navis you can get altitude if you press the sprite that represents your current location on the map if you have 3 or more satellites in range. Do this sometimes just 'cause. Also use the calculator in the 04' sometimes to calculate mpg. Never have used the calendar though. Might try that next.

The GPS allows me to see the layout of unfamiliar roads I'm on. I can see what curves are coming up, and where intersections are. That's very useful when driving winding mountain roads, especially at night. I can also at a glance see alternative routes. Often I display nearby landmarks and decide on the fly which ones to visit. Other useful-to-me features are the speed warning feature, traffic alerts, and trip data.

I use google maps for all of those. I 'study' my route and will memorize it as much as I can before setting off.

I use google maps for all of those. I 'study' my route and will memorize it as much as I can before setting off.
Same here. Will use street view to make sure I know how some parts I'm not familiar with so I don't screw up when driving there. Not the best driver in the world.

Reactions: Pew
Keep in my car. ;)
1705176884140.jpg

I find that corners look seriously less dramatic on a GPS screen, so it can cause to carry too much speed into them. Obviously not an issue on a hairpin. I prefer to look ahead, and keep distance so I can drive actively rather than reactively.

I find that corners look seriously less dramatic on a GPS screen, so it can cause to carry too much speed into them. Obviously not an issue on a hairpin. I prefer to look ahead, and keep distance so I can drive actively rather than reactively.
It's not the same as having a navigator sound out upcoming curves but I still find the (near) real-time display useful. The magnified view helps with showing the curve radius more realistically.

Sometimes use it to see what altitude I'm at. On orange disc Acura navis you can get altitude if you press the sprite that represents your current location on the map if you have 3 or more satellites in range. Do this sometimes just 'cause. Also use the calculator in the 04' sometimes to calculate mpg. Never have used the calendar though. Might try that next.
Knowing altitude can be useful when driving in areas like the Sierra Foothills where snow occurs above a certain level. I was recently dodging more severe snowfall by not driving up into the mountains too far.

It's not the same as having a navigator sound out upcoming curves but I still find the (near) real-time display useful. The magnified view helps with showing the curve radius more realistically.

"Left turn 40 into small jump. Hill crest into right 10." - every rental car gps ;)

Back