Please recommend portable GPS for auto use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a tomtom one.

It works ok, the user interface is not as good as some other ones I have used, but miles better than the generic ones.

I do not like the fact that I have to pay for map upgrades, and tomtom is very expensive.

I end up going to torrent sites, I refuse to pay more for maps thatn the device itself cost ($89)..

What I like about Garmin is you can buy a "life-time" updates subscription for $120, and update your GPS up to 4 times per year for life! Great deal IMO!

I bought a Garmin 260w based on people's recommendations and used it during a vacation (about 200mi total).

Pros:
1. Fast recalculation
2. Easy to follow spoken directions
3. Quick at synching to satellites on subsequent uses
4. Easy to learn and use.

Cons:
1. Bad route guidance. Although I set for "Fastest route" it constantly gave me the slow way, sometimes twice as slow as the optimal (25 min instead of 12). It got to the point I would use google maps beforehand because I didn't trust Garmin's routing at all. Google always gets it right

2. Out of date database for Points of Interest, even though mine is 2009 edition.

All in all a decent unit, but route guidance is the most important feature in a GPS and it does it poorly.

Make sure your traffic avoidance feature is turned-off unless you need it on at the time as this will make a difference. My sisters had this "issue" and would make her take certain routes based on the time of day. We turned it off and it was fine!

Don't know where it is in yours as Garmins can have slightly different user interfaces from model to model.

I've noticed a few little problems with map accuracy in my 255W. I should probably write them down and forward them to Garmin. It's stuff like misspelled street names, incorrect speed limits, stuff like that. In Montana, we have different night and day speed limits for highways, and it only displays the daytime speed limit. I'm sure they could find a way to make it display the night time limit, since the screen will dim itself based on the time of day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back