Please Help Me Pick An OIL !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, hi I'm new here.

I have a Vette with a 416 cubic inch stroked LS3 motor with almost 5K miles on it. It is my daily driver (at least 400 miles per week) and it is my track car. It gets severe open track racing at least 10 times a year.

I was using Mobil 15-50 until it recently got cold. Then on cold starts 40-50* my oil pressure was taking a few second to build and I was getting a low oil pressure warning indicator for a couple of seconds. During warm weather this is not a problem.

So I decided after a week of this to get a thinner oil. I got Mobil1 0-40. The cold startup problem is gone. It is actually very smooth and quiet (no valve train noise) now. I also seem to feel an increase in throttle response...quicker rpm's...less friction??? I do see a decrease in oil pressure when engine is fully warm. Idle is down from 30 to 25-26. Cruising at 2500 rpm is down from 42 to 37. At 3000 rpm it is at 40 psi.

The engine builder recommends synthetic with ZDDP for the life of the car. The Mobil1 15-50 has the right levels. I don't think the 0-40 does. I am OK with adding the ZDDP to the right oil that doesn't have it. I am also OK getting expensive oil like Redline that I believe already has high levels of ZDDP.

So is there an oil that will allow me to have easy cold starts but drive to the track and run at extreme oil temps????????????????????????????????

Thanks in advance for any advise or help!!!!

DH

Schaeffers full syn 5W-50. This is a "series 9000" racing oil and would surely work well in your application. I would contact the Schaeffers site rep and see what he says. One drawback may be that possibly it is still only avaiable in 5 gal container, which could last you awhile. But the price/performance is right, I can assure you.

I don't know what oil filters you are using, but I would consider the Amsoil EaO series for flow and efficiency. Expensive, but certainly well-made. My second choices are Mobil 1 and Wix/NAPA Gold. What oil filter are you using now?

Another possibility would be to contact Pablo another site supporter and quality Amsoil rep. He may recommend Amsoil S2000 racing oil, a 20W-50. IIRC someone said awhile back that it has better cold temp properties than some 15W-50 oils like Redline or M1.

I am using the Baldwin filter. I have been advised that it is a good flowing one.

I will check your links on the Shafers oil. I want to stay with full synthetic.

I saw Castrol full synthetic has a 5-50wt also. How do I determine if this stuff is good. I have read that such a large range in the weight means excessive modifiers.

DH

Yes I have a cooler. Actually I have a new one that I am trying since my temps last summer were 310. The new one has only been tried recently when ambients were 55* and the oil got to 255 ...... obviously the oil will be hotter in the summer !!!

DH

Okay I read their MSD and looks like it has Zinc .116-.139 % and Moly in their general description.

So this is considered a GOOD oil ???? No negative attributes.

5 gal drums are fine I change my own oil frequently.

DH

You can also try M1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40, it has a high amount of phosphorus (1300 ppm) at least until it is reformulated into a CJ-4 oil and is currently SL rated. According to their data M1 15w-50 only has 1200 ppm phosphorus. Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I would use:

Amsoil ACD SAE30/10W-30

or

Amsoil AMO 10W-40

Or

Amsoil AME 15W-40

or

Amsoil TRO 20W-50

They all have plenty of ZDDP and are full synthetics. Depending where you are in Calif, you could use any of the 4 year around.

I am glad to hear the Amsoil has good levels of ZDDP

Wouldn't their 20w-50 be as thick or thicker than Mobil1 15w-50

Wouldn't the 15-40 be similar

How much better would the cold flow be and how much less protection would the 10-40 provide compared to the Mobil1 15w-50

Thanks

DH

Originally Posted By: Dirty_Howie

I am glad to hear the Amsoil has good levels of ZDDP

Wouldn't their 20w-50 be as thick or thicker than Mobil1 15w-50

Wouldn't the 15-40 be similar

How much better would the cold flow be and how much less protection would the 10-40 provide compared to the Mobil1 15w-50

Thanks

DH

I'm not sure what the cold cranking viscosity of M1 15W-50 is, but it's probably pretty close to Amsoil 20W-50, which technically could qualify to be a 15W.

http://www.infineum.com/information/api-viscosity-2004.html

I've used the 20W-50 up here in the winter and it flowed fine, but if you are in mountains in Ca, or just want a lower cold viscosity then the 10W-40 or the 10W-30 will protect as well, and probably better than the 15W-50. The beauty of the ACD 10W-30/SAE 30 is that it contains no viscosity index improver (VII) -which very basically means it's all base oil and additives - no thickeners or pour point agents. This oil protects amazingly well. Maybe the 10W-30 for winter and 10W-40 for summer.

Yes a concern with a wide viscosity spread would be that large amounts of viscosity index improver (VII) are used. The concern then becomes that the VII can break down and shear over time and leave you with a much lower viscosity oil to protect your engine. That is one way to formulate an oil. I am not sure about the Castrol, but the Schaeffers would surely be a better oil for less or equal money. Their oils have been known to shear very little if at all under harsh conditions. When VII are used in their oil it is always a very shear-resistant type (higher quality and more expensive I would assume.) In addition, by using a better base oil mix, less VII needs to be used to get the larger spread in viscosity.

Schaeffers 5-40 or 5-50 as bmwtechguy suggests.
Our 15-40 or 20-50 blend would work well also.
Great fits for you application.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Schaeffers 5-40 or 5-50 as bmwtechguy suggests.
Our 15-40 or 20-50 blend would work well also.
Great fits for you application.

Can you PM me some prices to 91320

DH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back