Please explain this behavior to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
wait wait what the driver of the white car is the boorish, inconsiderate, selfish one? You can't park inside a designated space next to another car cause that's "mentally ill?"

As small as the regular spaces are, who would want a "compact" one?

It's the same here. I can see a half dozen other spots. WHY, WHY pick the one "snugged up" next to OP? It would have to be illegal to get closer to him... What's the purpose? Oblivious mental illness, perpetuating thru society.
Can we stop with the mental illness thing please? That’s the second time you’ve done that.

“Jerks”, “idiot”, “***”, “jackwad”, you’ve got them all. I don’t think I’ve ever resorted to such language on here.

Do you have a better suggestion/diagnosis when people either cannot observe social norms, or they purposefully violate them?
Aloof at worst and simply had some thought process that made sense to them that you don't understand at best.

Perhaps a calm and reasoned thought process that you can effectively put into words.
Sorry but the DSM-5 disagrees. Violating social norms is a sign of a anti-social abnormal behavior. In lay terms, a mental illness. One either sees and ignores social norms, or is oblivious. Many examples have been given in this thread. And we could conjure endless examples of the violation of social norms, small and large.

https://www.theravive.com/therapedia/antisocial-personality-disorder-dsm--5-301.7-(f60.2)
"DSM-5 Category: Personality Disorders: Introduction
APD (Antisocial Personality Disord
er) is a DSM-5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fifth edition), diagnosis assigned to individuals who habitually and pervasively disregard or violate the rights and considerations of others without remorse. People with Antisocial Personality Disorder may be habitual criminals, or engage in behavior which would be grounds for criminal arrest and prosecution, or they may engage in behaviors which skirt the edges of the law, or manipulate and hurt others in non-criminal ways which are widely regarded as unethical, immoral, irresponsible, or in violation of social norms and expectations. Those with APD often possess an impaired moral conscience and make decisions driven purely by their own desires without considering the needs or negative effects of their actions on others. Impulsive and criminal behavior is common. The terms psychopathy or sociopathy are also used, in some contexts synonymously, in others, sociopath is differentiated from a psychopath, in that a sociopathy is rooted in environmental causes, while psychopathy is genetically based."
----

This parking situation is common. It's a sign of an oblivious thoughtless person, violating a clear social norm, and a sign of a mental illness. It's rather insignificant but it is a sign and in the aggregate it is problematic. It could be passive-aggressive, or narcisstic, or etc. etc. etc.

As far as a suggestion I am unable to put a calm and reasoned thought process into words, it again seems the professional on mental health disagree with you. Suggest your read into the DSM-5. It seems you could benefit for a greater understanding of this topic.

ETA: And FYI, I said twice that I would leave a note on the other persons' window. I don't know what other clear calm concise response I am required to provide here when someone violates social norms.

Last edited:
Sorry but the DSM-5 disagrees. Violating social norms is a sign of a anti-social abnormal behavior. In lay terms, a mental illness. One either sees and ignores social norms, or is oblivious. Many examples have been given in this thread. And we could conjure endless examples of the violation of social norms, small and large.

https://www.theravive.com/therapedia/antisocial-personality-disorder-dsm--5-301.7-(f60.2)
er) is a DSM-5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fifth edition), diagnosis assigned to individuals who habitually and pervasively disregard or violate the rights and considerations of others without remorse. People with Antisocial Personality Disorder may be habitual criminals, or engage in behavior which would be grounds for criminal arrest and prosecution, or they may engage in behaviors which skirt the edges of the law, or manipulate and hurt others in non-criminal ways which are widely regarded as unethical, immoral, irresponsible, or in violation of social norms and expectations. Those with APD often possess an impaired moral conscience and make decisions driven purely by their own desires without considering the needs or negative effects of their actions on others. Impulsive and criminal behavior is common. The terms psychopathy or sociopathy are also used, in some contexts synonymously, in others, sociopath is differentiated from a psychopath, in that a sociopathy is rooted in environmental causes, while psychopathy is genetically based."
----

This parking situation is common. It's a sign of an oblivious thoughtless person, violating a clear social norm, and a sign of a mental illness.

As far as a suggestion I am unable to put a calm and reasoned thought process into words, it again seems the professional on mental health disagree with you. Suggest your read into the DSM-5. It seems you could benefit for a greater understanding of this topic.
You assume they willfully violated a social norm and haven't considered they had their reason or simply they were thinking about something else when they parked. Maybe their mother just passed away or they had a big report due today or any one of a billion other possibilities that resulted in them innocently parking their car in that spot.

You assume they willfully violated a social norm and haven't considered they had their reason or simply they were thinking about something else when they parked. Maybe their mother just passed away or they had a big report due today or any one of a billion other possibilities that resulted in them innocently parking their car in that spot.
Given the proliferation of this and similar self-absorbed behavior in society, a lot of moms are passing away every day. We'll be de-populated in a few weeks at this rate.

No, I reject such an excuse as improbable speculation. For the Lexus driver, s/he parked in literally the least convenient spot in the garage, and would have had to carefully navigate into that spot and open the car door and contort to get out. And walk farther to the building entry, than parking up close.

Far easier, by a large margin, to just zip into a spot vacant on all sides and hop out without additional obstacles. Nobody with a death in the family or studying for an exam, wants the ADDITIONAL (albeit small) burden/distraction of making parking more difficult.

No, this parking spot was picked on purpose - whether malicious or oblivious it's unknown.

----

This parking situation is common. It's a sign of an oblivious thoughtless person, violating a clear social norm, and a sign of a mental illness. It's rather insignificant but it is a sign and in the aggregate it is problematic. It could be passive-aggressive, or narcisstic, or etc. etc. etc.

ETA: And FYI, I said twice that I would leave a note on the other persons' window. I don't know what other clear calm concise response I am required to provide here when someone violates social norms.
Yeah okay.

Snugged up, as in, while it's legal you're needlessly violating my unwritten social cue of personal space.

As mentioned, when a man enters the empty latrine and uses urinal #5, it would be socially bizarre for the next man to come over and stand at urinal #4. Legal, sure. Mental illness, probably. A sign of a person's lack of ability to learn social norms. There's 3 other perfectly good urinals not next to me, and I picked #5 because I didn't want someone "snugged up next to" me.
There is a circle dirt track that i attend upon occasion that has just a 15' single troth to pee in. It is a riot if ya just watch all the people making decisions on where to line up at the troth. Most just bisect the space between when its not buzy. During intermission it gets crazy and some wall hang instead of just gettin on with it. We all have a different comfort space..maybe thats the case here..look at it this way..they cant be fat..thats good..right?

Given the proliferation of this and similar self-absorbed behavior in society, a lot of moms are passing away every day. We'll be de-populated in a few weeks at this rate.

No, I reject such an excuse as improbable speculation. For the Lexus driver, s/he parked in literally the least convenient spot in the garage, and would have had to carefully navigate into that spot and open the car door and contort to get out.

Far easier, by a large margin, to just zip into a spot vacant on all sides and hop out without additional obstacles. Nobody with a death in the family or studying for an exam, wants the ADDITIONAL (albeit small) burden/distraction of making parking more difficult.

No, this parking spot was picked on purpose - whether malicious or oblivious it's unknown.
You can reject it all you want but the fact remains YOU have NO idea the specific circumstances that led that person to park there. So, I reject your rejection, because mine is based in reality (neither of us has a complete understanding of the facts) and yours is a sophomoric attempt to dismiss the fact that you have no idea what the specific set of circumstances are here.

As for the first bold statement, be careful applying generalizations to individuals, especially individuals you know NOTHING about - it's pure nonsense to do so. This person could be the most self-absorbed or the most thoughtful person on the planet or something in between - you simply do not know.

There is a circle dirt track that i attend upon occasion that has just a 15' single troth to pee in. It is a riot if ya just watch all the people making decisions on where to line up at the troth. Most just bisect the space between when its not buzy. During intermission it gets crazy and some wall hang instead of just gettin on with it. We all have a different comfort space..maybe thats the case here..look at it this way..they cant be fat..thats good..right?

Well you know that saying "rubbing is racing?" That also applies at the race track trough urinal. If you're not rubbing shoulders against the guy beside you, you're not trying hard enough.

You can reject it all you want but the fact remains YOU have NO idea the specific circumstances that led that person to park there. So, I reject your rejection, because mine is based in reality (neither of us has a complete understanding of the facts) and yours is a sophomoric attempt to dismiss the fact that you have no idea what the specific set of circumstances are here.
Actually, I do. Because it is common. And because I have degrees in studying human behavior, and significant professional experience in this field, actually.

It is entirely irrelevant in THIS exact situation the reasons why. The fact is, I all-but guarantee this person didn't park there because of some altruistic or externally stressful reason. S/he parked there because that person is 100% self-absorbed. And as I stated, this Lexus driver parked in the LEAST convenient way imaginable without violating the law. Not the behavior of a grieving person, who would logically park in the MOST convenient way possible.

People in society behave this way. One only need to spend 1 day out and about in western society to experience it. Every time I go out in society at large, I experience it. It would be a stretch to say everyone doing this lost a family member that day.

Actually, I do. Because it is common. And because I have degrees in studying human behavior, and significant professional experience in this field, actually.

It is entirely irrelevant in THIS exact situation the reasons why. The fact is, I all-but guarantee this person didn't park there because of some altruistic or externally stressful reason. S/he parked there because that person is 100% self-absorbed. And as I stated, this Lexus driver parked in the LEAST convenient way imaginable without violating the law. Not the behavior of a grieving person, who would logically park in the MOST convenient way possible.

People in society behave this way. One only need to spend 1 day out and about in western society to experience it. Every time I go out in society at large, I experience it. It would be a stretch to say everyone doing this lost a family member that day.
And I say, regardless of your claim to know better, that to actually know what you claim to know here, is to claim you know the unknowable. So, you are either an omniscient God-like person or full of poop. I'm going with the latter.

Last edited:
Someone parked next to me in a parking lot and I can't handle it.
Talk about the self absorbed who "violate" social norm by wanting to damage property for an IMAGINARY slight.

It's an unmarked spot in a public garage. They can park their white car in whatever the hockey stick unrestricted spot they choose. Social norm.

I'm going to start searching out Mustangs when I park and do my utmost to park my far more expensive and elite Mercedes next to them. :ROFLMAO:

IBTL because that's where this ridiculous thread is headed.

Last edited:
And I say, regardless of your claim to know better, that to actually know what you claim to know here, is to claim you know the unknowable. So, you are either an omniscient God-like person or full of poop. I'm going with the latter.
Sure thing. It seems you have an important exam to study for as well.

As for the first bold statement, be careful applying generalizations to individuals, especially individuals you know NOTHING about - it's pure nonsense to do so. This person could be the most self-absorbed or the most thoughtful person on the planet or something in between - you simply do not know.
You bring up a good point. My son was having another seizure and had to get him to the hospital..now. I was not polite on my way..

Many folx look to be annoyed at something every day. It seems as though they enjoy it..

Which would require the person to first KNOW this is a social norm which I argue, for many folks is not the case. So until they know it, hard to expect them to abide by it.

Because it is common. And because I have degrees in studying human behavior,

This is the equivalent of saying because you know a population mean, what happens on average, you can say none of the data points are significantly different than the mean. People on average MAY behave the way you claim but that gives you NO insight into how each individual person that makes up that mean behaves. It's why we have statistical measures of dispersion. Did they teach you that when you obtained your degrees in human behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back