Please clarify...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the base stock of Mobil 1 is now predominantly group III, and the base stock of PP also apparently is going to be or is already group III, and the base stock of the cheapest "fully Syn" oil (Walmart) also a group III, why should anyone spend close to $6.00 per quart of Mobil 1, or $4.00 per quart for PP, when Walmart sells their elixir for around $2.00 per quart?
I have used several different syn's over the years, but always came back to Mobil 1. My Corvette specifies Mobile 1 5w-30 as the oil to use. Heat tolerance of the oil is critical 'vettes due to the high engine temps. But if the $6.00/qt stuff is no better than the $2.00/qt stuff why waste my money? Or, perhaps it's time to return to using Amsoil.
Personally, I am dismayed that XOM would switch their base stock without notifying the public. Most people wouldn't care. But I do.
Glen

Quote:

My Corvette specifies Mobile 1 5w-30 as the oil to use.

This is a common mistake that Corvette owners make, they assume that their oil fill cap says that they have to use Mobil 1. Look at it closely and what it actually says is Mobil 1 is the factory fill. The owner's manual does not mention Mobil 1 at all, it only mentions that you need to use an oil with the GM 4718M rating on it. There are a lot of 5w30 synthetics which pass this requirement.

My 98 Corvette is out of the warranty period so I can use whatever I want, and I'm running Castrol 0w30 (German version) with excellent results.

If I bought a new one, I think I would probably use Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 in it for the warranty period.

Patman is correct.

I would add that some Mobil 1 grades are still majority PAO, others are Group III and some a mix of PAO/Group III and V. The market has the influence over the price of a product and with the current revelation that M1 now is Group III in some grades, I would sugggest you look at other options if that is of a concern to you. I would also say that if M1 sales decline, so will the price of M1.

Last edited:
Before we start all going cheap here, let's remember group III's can vary in quality just like anything else.

That being said, I guess there's no way to know how Supertech performs in a vette until someone tries.....

Quote:

Just how tough is it to meet the GM 4718M spec ?

I honestly don't think it's too tough, even the Tech 2000 Synthetic sold in Walmart up here in Canada passes that requirement.

Quote:

Quote:

Just how tough is it to meet the GM 4718M spec ?

I honestly don't think it's too tough, even the Tech 2000 Synthetic sold in Walmart up here in Canada passes that requirement.

At least Ron would be pleased to know that.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back