Platinum vs. Iridium Spark plugs for non turbo 2.0 L engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
my OEM spark plugs are copper as my 2.0 L Non turbo engine designed in 2006.
I've decided to try more longer life span plugs.

my original copper plugs were Bosch FR7DTC with 0.8mm Gap & 7 heat range (Bosch standard).

my question is: is it suitable for my engine to use iridium plugs with same heat range (7 for Bosch or 6 for NGK) with modifying gap to 0.8mm
or be safe and try the platinum plugs?

I heard that iridium is suitable for turbo/ super charger engines not for traditional engines. is it correct??

Iridiums have been factory installed in some non turbo, non supercharged engines for a least the last 12 years. GM LS engines get them. I would not modify the gap on an Iridium plug. They use fine-wire technology and are not meant to be adjusted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Iridiums have been factory installed in some non turbo, non supercharged engines for a least the last 12 years. GM LS engines get them. I would not modify the gap on an Iridium plug. They use fine-wire technology and are not meant to be adjusted.

thank you for reply,

for engines whose OEM plugs are copper, is it safe to use iridium considering heat range??

both platinum & iridium use fine wire technology. but do you think installing 1.1mm or 1.0mm gap plugs will not cause misfire as originals plugs is 0.8mm ??

what's the damage could happen if fine wire plugs got gap adjusted??

Originally Posted by Omar_Eltahan

thank you for reply,

for engines whose OEM plugs are copper, is it safe to use iridium considering heat range??

both platinum & iridium use fine wire technology. but do you think installing 1.1mm or 1.0mm gap plugs will not cause misfire as originals plugs is 0.8mm ??

Both mine and my parents Caliber's came with copper plugs, we put iridium plugs in both and they are still running great. The finer point or iridium and platinum plugs make them easier to fire, so a 0.2 to 0.3mm difference is negated by that.

My 2011 Durango with the 5.7 HEMI, which uses 2 plugs per cylinder, came with copper plugs. I put platinum plugs in that and it always ran great.

You risk breaking the fine points of the iridium or platinum plugs by adjusting them, which is why they say not to gap them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Olas
the gap, thread, heat range and reach determine operational capabilities. the brand does not.

i just gave examples, my question is which is more suitable platinum or iridium? considering gap, thread, heat range and reach.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

thank you for reply,

Both mine and my parents Caliber's came with copper plugs, we put iridium plugs in both and they are still running great. The finer point or iridium and platinum plugs make them easier to fire, so a 0.2 to 0.3mm difference is negated by that.

My 2011 Durango with the 5.7 HEMI, which uses 2 plugs per cylinder, came with copper plugs. I put platinum plugs in that and it always ran great.

You risk breaking the fine points of the iridium or platinum plugs by adjusting them, which is why they say not to gap them.

so i just have to consider thread, heat range and reach for the chosen plugs and ignore gap difference as it would be 0.3mm maximum??

do you have any reference regarding fine wire technology proofing minor gap differences can be neglected?

Most importantly, look up the manufacturers recommendation for the car in question.

manufacturer recommendation was only one plug model Bosch FR7DTC witch is copper. is that means i can't use any other plugs (platinum-iridium)??

also would you reply these:

Sorry, I meant the spark plug manufacturers. You need to find out if anyone makes an Iridium plug for you car. The North American lists typically don't cover Chery. Some of the UK lists do.

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant the spark plug manufacturers. You need to find out if anyone makes an Iridium plug for you car. The North American lists typically don't cover Chery. Some of the UK lists do.

will try to check, but from myt previous check, no results

would you help replying these questions?

I can offer you this. On the left is an Iridium plug I pulled with 180,000 miles on it. On the right is it's replacement about to be put in. It's hard to tell in the photo but the gap opened up a bit on the old plug. It still functioned fine with no misfire. I have found Iridium plugs are not very sensitive regarding the actual gap. The physics involved in jumping a spark from a fine wire center electrode to the ground electrode vs a broad faced conventional plug center electrode to the ground electrode are different and so the gaps wouldn't necessarily have to be the same.

46CCBE40-B47C-4097-B3D5-001507276DB8.jpeg

Last edited:
I will jump in here, I was a master engine mechanic and built a few race cars and did performance tunes

in the 70's and 80's

The fine wire technology only allows the plugs to be easier to fire and
have less chance of misfire.

They are better than Nickel-copper plugs for all concerns

As they are easier to fire, the gap can be a bit larger without misfire (than a copper-nickel sparkplug)

The Iridium is just a much tougher metal that will wear less over time, thus the tip can be made fine compared to a copper-nickel
plug

Damage due to changing gap depends more on HOW you try to change the gap

the Iridium tip is easily broken, so you do not want to gap the plug by prying between the centre and ground electrodes.

You should never adjust the gap this way on any type plug anyhow.**

Gap is adjusted by bending the GROUND side electrode.

My rule is only tighten don't enlarge where the ground electrode is pointing UP wards of 0 degrees plane.

**The ramp-type champion is a gauge to CHECK the gap, not to force it open.
The GND electrode adjuster is the little hole - like a miniaturised bottle opener

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I can offer you this. On the left is an Iridium plug I pulled with 180,000 miles on it. On the right is it's replacement about to be put in. It's hard to tell in the photo but the gap opened up a bit on the old plug. It still functioned fine with no misfire. I have found Iridium plugs are not very sensitive regarding the actual gap. The physics involved in jumping a spark from a fine wire center electrode to the ground electrode vs a broad faced conventional plug center electrode to the ground electrode are different and so the gaps wouldn't necessarily have to be the same.

I have found Iridium plugs are not very sensitive regarding the actual gap. The physics involved in jumping a spark from a fine wire center electrode to the ground electrode vs a broad faced conventional plug center electrode to the ground electrode are different and so the gaps wouldn't necessarily have to be the same.

is same rule applied for platinum plugs (regarding Gap Adjusting)?

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I will jump in here, I was a master engine mechanic and built a few race cars and did performance tunes

in the 70's and 80's

As they are easier to fire, the gap can be a bit larger without misfire (than a copper-nickel sparkplug)

The Iridium is just a much tougher metal that will wear less over time, thus the tip can be made fine compared to a copper-nickel
plug

Damage due to changing gap depends more on HOW you try to change the gap

the Iridium tip is easily broken, so you do not want to gap the plug by prying between the centre and ground electrodes.

You should never adjust the gap this way on any type plug anyhow.**

My rule is only tighten don't enlarge where the ground electrode is pointing UP wards of 0 degrees plane.

**The ramp-type champion is a gauge to CHECK the gap, not to force it open.
The GND electrode adjuster is the little hole - like a miniaturised bottle opener

[Linked Image]

plug

is platinum the same as iridium regarding toughness & low chances of missfire with larger gap?

platinum plugs i found match copper parameters with same heat range from Bosch are 1.1mm gap & from NGK are 1.0mm (comparing to 0.8mm gap in original copper plugs)
so is it safe to tighten the gap from the ground (upper 90 degree bend tip) or just use it as it is?? and why?

Last edited:
The Iris tips last so long where you have to remove them they are not welded in there, or the outer insulator ( or inner impedance has lowered towards a misfire point), I see no need for an even tougher electrode - but Ir and Rh are rare elements - likely from previous extinction-event large Meteorites

Now Subaru uses a Russky element fingernail GND electrode special design for even LOWER quenching and misfire counts - esp on cold start. with the PZEV models. I was supposed to change them at 60K .

No way subaru service manual writers! - you are morons.

[Linked Image]

platinum plugs i found match copper parameters with same heat range from Bosch are 1.1mm gap & from NGK are 1.0mm (comparing to 0.8mm gap in original copper plugs)
so is it safe to tighten the gap from the ground (upper 90 degree bend tip) or just use it as it is?? and why?

Tighten= OK.

Loosen ? NEVER ! as it ruins flame kernal propagation and increases quenching.

It always best to leave parallel if possible.

Any good working modern Ignition should be able to fire a 1.1mm gap - if the engine is not turbosupercharged.

Fun note and trade secret:

On our race cars with nickel-copper plugs, we used to snip back the GND electrodes to side fire the center electrodes.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
pardon my lack of deep knowledge, but i think i didn't get a solid answer.

is it safe to me to use the 1.1mm gap platinum plugs or i should tighten the gap to 0.8mm as original copper plugs as the heat range is identical??

pardon my lack of deep knowledge, but i think i didn't get a solid answer.

is it safe to me to use the 1.1mm gap platinum plugs or i should tighten the gap to 0.8mm as original copper plugs as the heat range is identical??

I'd use the 1.1mm gap. The finer electrode will make the spark plug easier to fire, negating the slightly larger gap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back