Plastic bullets?

JHZR2

Staff member
Found some low recoil plastic training ammo in 7.62x51 for cheap. It says it’s good for 150 yards, low recoil, etc.

Anyone ever use the stuff? Seems like it might be an interesting option for those of us with bolt rifles in that caliber.

I've seen it sold for years on sites that sell surplus ammo. Back when I last saw it, the price made no sense since real ammo could be purchased for slightly more.. nowadays... maybe worth a shot?

Found some low recoil plastic training ammo in 7.62x51 for cheap. It says it’s good for 150 yards, low recoil, etc.

Anyone ever use the stuff? Seems like it might be an interesting option for those of us with bolt rifles in that caliber.
What the bargain price for this stuff may I ask?

I've seen it sold for years on sites that sell surplus ammo. Back when I last saw it, the price made no sense since real ammo could be purchased for slightly more.. nowadays... maybe worth a shot?

Exactly. Might be...

Yeah, I have some, made in Germany 7.62X49. It was originally sold as low penetration for indoor assault etc. (Way back then)
Anyway, I've had that stuff for about 15 years, and originally it shot well and worked the action of my SKS. Shot a little bit last year and it no longer operates the action of that same gun. I know my storage wasn't the best, but it was in the original plastic bubble packs of about 10 rounds each.
It originally was not "weak" at all and had good terminal expansion at 100+ yds.

Yeah, I have some, made in Germany 7.62X49. It was originally sold as low penetration for indoor assault etc. (Way back then)
Anyway, I've had that stuff for about 15 years, and originally it shot well and worked the action of my SKS. Shot a little bit last year and it no longer operates the action of that same gun. I know my storage wasn't the best, but it was in the original plastic bubble packs of about 10 rounds each.
It originally was not "weak" at all and had good terminal expansion at 100+ yds.
The stuff I’ve seen says it won’t operate the action on a SA, but is good to ~150yd. Not an issue if shooting at a 200yd range with a BA rifle.

half the price of the best I ever did for real (not steel) 7.62 or 308. In a way it’s appealing regardless due to the cost of Cu and the health considerations of Pb... and the fact that I don’t care to shoot steel bullets in anything that I care about.

Wood/plastic are fine for training/plinking rounds. Just note the limitations of the plastic/wood and that your sight/scope settings will be off a little when moving back to JHP/FMJ/ball ammo.

If you shoot often, and don't want to waste the hunting ammo, then the training rounds are good too go.

Is the brass reloadable? then even better!

Interesting...

I have some 38 Special plastic bullets. They are small enough in diameter that they just touch the rifling and aren't engraved when fired. They are handpushed into special plastic cartridges in which you also hand-insert a large pistol primer. I use to shoot them in the garage against cardboard with a loosely draped sheet behind it-not unlike what you'd use for indoor BB gun or low-powered air rifle shooting. I'd load up 40 or so, shoot them, and then collect the bullets and prep them again for another day.

I'm guessing from the description of these, they wouldn't be suitable for use indoors at all.

The US military has been using plastic training bullets for decades now. I was involved in the development for some types for the military at one time.

What's the bullet weight on those rounds?
I think 10 grain. Theyre plastic. I know it will affect scope zero and whatnot, but for something shootable, its better than nothing.

Or maybe one goes to laser to preserve ammo and get more practice?

These must be a totally different type than I had. I doubt 10 gr would work the action of any semi auto. The stuff I had was plastic CORE stuff, metal outer skin and steel, (non-re loadable) cases.

These must be a totally different type than I had. I doubt 10 gr would work the action of any semi auto. The stuff I had was plastic CORE stuff, metal outer skin and steel, (non-re loadable) cases.
These that I’m looking at explicitly say that they will not work the action of a SA. That’s fine by me running a bolt rifle.

Back