Plastic bags slowly going away

Thankfully, plastic not going away here, at least not yet. Funny the dog clean up mentioned because that's exactly what our plastic grocery bags serve as for second use. That's all the ones with no holes in them, which is most. All remaining extra get returned for recycling at grocery store.

I'm pretty sure the amount of plastic used for groceries had gone up a lot in my state since the do-gooders got plastic bags banned. Now bags have to be reusable by law, and have to be at least a certain thickness (8 mils I think) and cost at least 8 cents. So now everyone just pays for new "reusable" bags every time they go to the store but at least they never break anymore.

There has been a plastic bag fee "tax" in Chicago for like 7 or more years. It has helped limit the plastic bags flying everywhere in the streets. There's no fee like that out by me but I usually buy so little that I'll either carry it out with no bags or they're all shoved into the fewest bags possible, then I reuse those bags for trash.

I live in a tiny town that's between two larger towns. The one to our north has a 10¢ bag fee, while the one to our south doesn't.

The grocery store in the town to our north for a while was selling decent quality reusable bags that you could use a bunch, but now have regressed to standard bags.

A lot of times I'll find myself skipping bagging things entirely if I can avoid it, although sometimes it's hard to not. We still grocery shop a lot in the town that doesn't have the bag fee...

A steady supply of grocery bags keeps me from having to buy the special purpose dog bags...

I've always believed that dog owners use them to pick up....how is it done post plastic bags...
I used to live in a state that did away with the plastic bags at most retail stores. I ordered a box or two with 1,000 plastic bags each from a commercial plastics place in the South. They cost about $15 for the box of bags with a $15 delivery charge added. Comes out to about 3 cents each bag.

The nice thing about those bags is that they were brand spanking new. The bags used to carry home groceries sometimes get holes in the bottom which is nasty for dog pick ups.

I hate plastic grocery bags. Might as well dump your groceries into big mixing bowl and stir them up and dump them into your trunk in a big heap. Of course if you try to get the bagger to fit stuff into paper its like you asked them to speak Martian.

I went to the Asian market yesterday. They put everything I bought into a empty box their goods came in. I took the cardboard box to recycling this AM.
I do the same thing at Aldi.

Now I have to BUY plastic bags with the pure intent of throwing them out.

Shopping bags got used two or three times before finally lining the kitchen bin and going to the dump.
We were doing that in Korea years ago - you bought the shopping bags with the expectation they’d become trash bags - I just assumed they were formulated to break down like Mobil’s Hefty bags in the 80’s …

I'm for incineration of plastic, if they could develop decent scrubbers for the effluent
I could go for that. No idea what the energy content is, but if you can't make something better of it... we sure could use the BTU's to make electricity.

I do the same thing at Aldi.
I have an Aldi story. One of my major annoyances anywhere, especially at Costco, is to come back and find a cart against or obstructing my vehicle. So we go to Aldi and a man has finished loading his Pilot. My wife asks if we can take his cart, she has a quarter in hand. He grunts something which we took to be negatory. Come back and the cart is against our car. It dawned on me some people could care less about the quarter, and it may very well be they enjoy leaving the cart like that. Kinda like those folks in the 80's who got caught on purpose squeezing bread to ruin it at a store. Or maybe the meat flippers lol So why not make it $1 at first, and slowly go up to $5 and $10, if you want a cart at Aldi? I know, likely cause an uproar that people who drive fancy 2006 cars are trying to drive away customers haha

"...What do you folks think?..."
One of the guys that brought this to my twn (6, 8 yrs ago). It is a 'thought invoker'
for the public. Yeah, sure, U can C alot of them flappin in the trees around here BUT
that's not it. Plastic, left to degrade on the ground (anywhere) is toxic (mutnigenic,
cancer causing). Only 1 & 2 R recyclable. Amer Chem Assoc (loby arm of plastics industry)
got the other 5 #s on there. There is nowhere w/o plastic around now (water, field, mt. top, ocean).
We process a crd crd sz thru our body. Time to reduce it in packaging and other uses.
Many co send it back to where it was created rather than pay all the costs (more than financial) included w/its use.
I have enuff plastic bags I use them for the required containment of my trash (will not take it w/o).

If we got a handel on plastics and got the compost outta our trash we would do a huge 1/2 planet repair. 20 - 40%
of the trash is actually garbage. Removing it saves $ on the haul, can create 'black gold' (good dirt). Just like the earth it's best to have our 'products' not reach 'end use' but flow back into the next use.

Paper bags are better. Hate this stupid government of fools w open borders allowing millions of deadly drugs in. The push to leftie ideas never works out well.

I remember a store called Sack and Save back in the mid 80s. You had to bag and provide your own containers to put your items in while the cashier was checking you out.

Back