Plasma or LED (LCD).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not going to spend top dollar this time around on television. Just looking at the 700 Dollar Range. I like the Panasonic 50 Inch Plasma 1080P, But I also like LED based televisions: Samsung, LG with 120Hz. I want a dumb television, don't need smart television. So what is other peoples like. I don't have bright room, easily control lights. I like rich and true colors and dark blacks. I like the LED for the very vibrant and bright look. It's really a toss up for me.

Last edited:
I have 3 LCD's since summer 2007, they still working great and consume little power. The main advantage of LCD/LED is low power consumption, for this reason I would go with LCD.

Power consumption won't deter me, I'm already have energy efficient washer and dishwasher. I did some studying and they say about 10cents per day more for having Plasma over LCD..

Plasma.
If IQ is your top priority (it's a TV, lets be honest) then plasma is the way to go.

I have a 550 series Samsung plasma and I absolutely love it. Great set.

Panasonic is my top choice but I got mine huge on sale so I was OK with the Samsung.

They make 90" LED's now.
crazy2.gif
happy2.gif

I have 2 2010 Samsung LCDs (a 46 in 1080p and a 32 in 720p). Maybe a plasma is better...but you couldn't prove it to me. I have yet to see anything that looks better than what I have no matter the size or price. I have seen a few that are as good, but none better. YMMV.

I have both. The LCD gives less reflection in a brighter room, but the plasma has a brighter, vibrant, clearer picture. The plasma also has less pixelation on fast moving video. New technology in the past couple years gives the modern plasma a rating over 60,000 hours. Burning is no more an issue than any other tv now. So I watch sports, movies, gaming on the Plasma. Use the LCD in the bedroom for regular channel surfing.

Plasma is good for dark TV rooms. Plasma is cheaper and looks better then a cheap LCD. But thats where comparisons end.

Plasmas burn in. They get dim from use. They wear out with age. If you want a cheap TV that you'll eventually have to chuck out go for it, but buying a decent LCD will last you a long time.

ALL PLASMA TVS BURN IN AND WEAR OUT. Period. They use more power and put out more heat. They started doing "pixel orbiting" to avoid serious burn in but it still happens. Anyone claiming plasma's don't burn in "anymore" and don't lose brightness anymore are believing marketing. Plasma is still a relatively mediocre technology for the long term.

More size for the money, plasma wins in that regard. Also you said you care about natural colors and deep blacks. LEDs do blacks every bit as well as a Plasma for that price range but only with head on viewing. A plasma will have better viewing angles overall where the LED colors and blacks will suffer once you beging to view the screen at certain angles. Plasmas generally deliver more realistic colors out of the box in that price range.

New plasmas are pretty darn energy efficient but the screens do get warm after heavy use. Better than the older plasmas but still warm.

I am a big fan of Panasonic but I feel Samsung offers a better TV for the $ when shopping in the 500-700 range.

Plasma is on the way out, LED backlit LCD on the way in. My 2008 viera plasma is still set for about 50% brightness. I haven't changed it since new.

Maybe those tens of thousands of hours make the different negligible between the two. Make your pick based upon viewing habits and energy concerns. As already noted plasma is great for sports and movies while LCD is a penny pincher. Pick the right LCD, and you might not notice the black level and response shortcomings.

I bought a Haier 42" 480i plasma in 2005. This TV is used about 12 hours a day. Still his a very good picture.

one thing that turned me away from plasmas is the long break in period, burn in retention (still happens), and all kinds of preparing before one can 'let it loose'...

no such with LCD..and LCDs are better in most light conditions, and newer LCDs are equal/better to plasma PQ, if one sticks with high(er) end brands/models...

If there will be any kind of viewing angle involved other than straight on, I would go with plasma. All this burn in issues and "huge" energy consumption talk is nonsense. Sure that burn in can happen, but you really have to try, like leave a DVD on the main menu for hours on end.

My main TV is a very basic 60HZ, 46' LCD Samsung. It is a great TV set for the purpose I bought it for with very good PQ. It sits in the living room and is turned on almost all day whether kids watch it or not. But if you watch it on an angle, the loss of contrast and color vibrance is very noticeable.

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
I have 2 2010 Samsung LCDs (a 46 in 1080p and a 32 in 720p). Maybe a plasma is better...but you couldn't prove it to me. I have yet to see anything that looks better than what I have no matter the size or price. I have seen a few that are as good, but none better. YMMV.

When the set is properly calibrated, or at least set to someone else's calibration settings for the same model, like in my case, I don't see any difference either, except when looking at LCD from an angle. People swearing up and down on particular technology usually have no clue what calibration is and watch their TV on over saturated factory settings.

Last edited:
If price is the main buying point, size really matters. So, buying a larger plasma over a smaller LCD/LED would be my recommendation. But if you can, try to look for financing. I got my 55inch Samsung LED for a steep price but Best Buy had two years 0% financing. 700 cash out of pocket or 1700 financed for two years. Two totally different buying options, but your going to be getting two TOTALLY different TVs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back