LG 77 inch OLED review (Costco purchase)

I recently purchased an LG 77CX 4K OLED (self lit LED pixels) (it's not a backlit TV) .

The LG replaces a 65 inch Sharp HD LCD display, which in it's day was superb and has always been quite pleasant and clear.

As many are now aware, OLED displays can produce perfect blacks, as the pixels are simply off to represent black. This leads to dramatically better picture quality in some conditions. Examples might include a star field with bright and dim stars and a bright looming planet, while watching a Science Fiction movie at night in a dark room. Absolute and utter perfection, and the letterbox "bars" on the top and bottom don't show up at all, nice.

Unfortunately, those perfect blacks translate over to a person's black hair on normal TV shows, and instead of seeing a hairstyle, one sees a black area, devoid of detail. Yes, one can adjust brightness and contrast (and other stuff too) to get back the detail, but it's just not really as good as a backlit LCD tv with regard to this. This is called "Crushed Black"

The colors are spectacular, the response time is good, and the picture does not have the digital artifacts of motion processing that some lesser TV's do.

So, there is much good, and some downside. Overall, since I'm a space movie nut, it was a perfect purchase.

Here is an enhanced example of a backlit LCD vs OLED for perfect blacks.

lcd-vs-oled-590x393.png

The pic below does "kind of" display the apparent lack of detail in the blacks that is so common on OLED tv's. It's not this bad, but it's there.

crushed.png

Interestingly, there is also more detail visible in many scenes, on OLED tv's, as the contrast is infinite. Look at the tree on the left.

gdleb3ox.4i5.jpg

Congrats! Nice TV! I have a 55" B8 LG Oled and yes the contrast is pretty incredible. I just returned a Sony 65"
A8H (which had a slight reddish/pinkish tint to the left side of the screen) but I did notice a better out-of-the-box picture. Much better shadow detail than the B8. Colors more accurate. A professional calibration can take care of those issues just never wanted to dish out the money for one. Mostly used for gaming now anyway.
Just don't run 5% gray uniformity test. You may not like what you see.:cautious:

I don't see a tree.
It's over the word "use" in the text on the pic. If it's not a tree, maybe it's a structure. Surface has a pineapple appearance.

In any case, I watched the latest episode of "The Expanse" last night. WOW, that was fantastic. I've got the TV close enough in my media room that the picture is nearly 4 fists wide (arm extended) . 4 fists is the width of a movie theater screen from the back of the theater.

Thank you for the review and I'm glad that you are pleased with your LG. When the time comes, I'll give LG serious consideration. Until then, my (2) 2010 Samsung LCDs still work as when new...have never needed repair...and there is nothing about them that makes me dissatisfied in any way. Then as now, all I will have (at least in the near term) is 720p/1080i with Spectrum cable as a source so...it is what it is.

Great post, most dont know the difference, there is LGs OLED and then there is EVERYONE else, no matter what name they give it such as Samsungs QLED which was actually developed by Sony, they are still all regular LED or hybrid LED except OLED.

OLED is as you described, great post, thanks. I went with Sonys X series (which has local dimming) because the LED will be brighter then OLED and we have 16 feet west facing windows in the room so brighter was key over black level..

The key with OLED and LED for many people is the up conversion quality which is lacking on many cheaper sets. But as we know even in some of these replies that doesnt matter to many/most people, except for us with perfection in mind.

Back