Decided on a Sony LED

Last year I was going to replace my 12 year old 47" Toshiba Regza because the screen started getting dirty looking in spots but just couldn't decide on one but now it's has almost covered the screen. It's been a great TV but it's time. So I started off where I left off last year a few weeks ago looking at Samsung's Q70R 55" or the Q80R 55" to get ready for Black Friday. First was size, 55" or 65", I wanted to make sure so I actually found some card board and taped together what would be a 65" TV and decided it may be a little big but then I folded it down to 55" and while that looked ok I do remember when I first hooked up the Toshiba I wished I would of went up one size so 65" it is. I sit about 9 ft from the TV and can only move closer due to my office desk and reloading bench right behind the couch, the reloading bench is anchored to the concrete floor plus all my surround speakers would have to be moved if I wanted to move my couch back.

When I started looking at Samsung I seen they are now Q80T, after watching a video from rtings.com they were comparing some of the Q80T's features as being similar to last years Q70R but still say it's one of the best 65" TV's, while you can still get the Q80R it's actually went up in price since last year sitting at $1,847.99 about $350 more, the 2020 model is $1,497.99 but if they haven't improved on last years model I need to look at something else. The only other LCD that came close was a Sony as LG's best seems to be all OLED which is more than my $1500 limit, just can't justify spending more.

After comparing the Sony's I went with the X950H. I don't game and don't care about the viewing angles. When I first looked at this one it was $1599.99 which was only $100 more then they dropped it down to $1,398.00. Ordered with my Prime card so I get $75 back in points plus free shipping.

A couple other things that rtings.com mentioned about the Sony panels that helped me decide is they are good for dark room viewing and color accuracy is excellent right out of the box.

From a previous post I seen some have a Sony so any settings you changed after setting it up would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
My 2015 75" Samsung is developing purple blotches. Been looking at the 85" Sony 900H and 950H.
If the 900H comes back into stock at Costco, will probably pull the trigger. Can't beat the 2 year warranty and an extra 3 years for $99.
The 950H is nice but a $1400 extra over the 900H is pretty steep.

Reactions: JC1
My 2015 75" Samsung is developing purple blotches. Been looking at the 85" Sony 900H and 950H.
If the 900H comes back into stock at Costco, will probably pull the trigger. Can't beat the 2 year warranty and an extra 3 years for $99.
The 950H is nice but a $1400 extra over the 900H is pretty steep.

I bought an 85" 900H this week and got it on my wall yesterday. So far, so good.

Last year I was going to replace my 12 year old 47" Toshiba Regza because the screen started getting dirty looking in spots but just couldn't decide on one but now it's has almost covered the screen. It's been a great TV but it's time. So I started off where I left off last year a few weeks ago looking at Samsung's Q70R 55" or the Q80R 55" to get ready for Black Friday. First was size, 55" or 65", I wanted to make sure so I actually found some card board and taped together what would be a 65" TV and decided it may be a little big but then I folded it down to 55" and while that looked ok I do remember when I first hooked up the Toshiba I wished I would of went up one size so 65" it is. I sit about 9 ft from the TV and can only move closer due to my office desk and reloading bench right behind the couch, the reloading bench is anchored to the concrete floor plus all my surround speakers would have to be moved if I wanted to move my couch back.

When I started looking at Samsung I seen they are now Q80T, after watching a video from rtings.com they were comparing some of the Q80T's features as being similar to last years Q70R but still say it's one of the best 65" TV's, while you can still get the Q80R it's actually went up in price since last year sitting at $1,847.99 about $350 more, the 2020 model is $1,497.99 but if they haven't improved on last years model I need to look at something else. The only other LCD that came close was a Sony as LG's best seems to be all OLED which is more than my $1500 limit, just can't justify spending more.

After comparing the Sony's I went with the X950H. I don't game and don't care about the viewing angles. When I first looked at this one it was $1599.99 which was only $100 more then they dropped it down to $1,398.00. Ordered with my Prime card so I get $75 back in points plus free shipping.

A couple other things that rtings.com mentioned about the Sony panels that helped me decide is they are good for dark room viewing and color accuracy is excellent right out of the box.

From a previous post I seen some have a Sony so any settings you changed after setting it up would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time!
Keep us posted on how you like it once you get it. It's on my very shortlist of 65's.

Now is a sucky time if you use an antenna to buy a TV because of ATSC 3.0

When will this standard be introduced? I'm looking at getting a TV in the not-too-distant future. My 2006 Samsung 65" 1080P DLP is getting a little long in the tooth. I replaced a bulb in it once preemptively, but other than that it's been a stellar TV. Wouldn't mind hanging onto it a while longer if there's good reason. I do use an antenna for all the network channels.

I bought an entry level 65" Samsung 2.5 yrs ago for $770 at Best Buy. It's excellent, even the sound is decent.

When will this standard be introduced? I'm looking at getting a TV in the not-too-distant future. My 2006 Samsung 65" 1080P DLP is getting a little long in the tooth. I replaced a bulb in it once preemptively, but other than that it's been a stellar TV. Wouldn't mind hanging onto it a while longer if there's good reason. I do use an antenna for all the network channels.
ATSC 3.0 has already been introduced.

There are currently only 16 markets in the US that are broadcasting in ATSC 3.0. Unlike the switch from NTSC to ATSC, the ATSC 3.0 switch is voluntary and there there is no mandatory date by which broadcasters must switch to ATSC 3.0. Expect rollouts to come sooner in larger markets and more slowly in smaller ones.

There is also an FCC mandate that stations maintain a simulation broadcast in the legacy standard for at least 5 years after they begin broadcasting in ATSC 3.0. Again, being this is all voluntary, there is little incentive for broadcasters to stop broadcasting in legacy standards. I'd expect simultaneous broadcasting long after the FCC's mandated 5 year period.

In short, ATSC 3.0 isn't the boogey man.

Now is a sucky time if you use an antenna to buy a TV because of ATSC 3.0

Going to be a long time before that happens here if ever, we just went digital a few years ago because we're 75 miles from where are Market comes out of and having to update our towers, besides I only watch it when my dish goes out due to weather, they just buried optical here this summer so that shows you how far behind this area is.

Besides the capability of being able to provide 4K resolution content, the vastly improved coverage area that ATSC 3.0 NEXTGEN TV affords (almost triple the area at the same transmission power) is more than enough incentive for the broadcasters to add ATSC 3.0 broadcasting. It is currently available in 62 TV markets with more coming on line every week. It is the broadcasters themselves that have been pushing hard for this. The many people who live in rural fringe reception areas and very congested urban environments who can't currently receive an ATSC 1.0 signal will be able to receive a good viewable ATSC 3.0 signal. In addition to the larger coverage area, there are a large number of additional viewers that will be able watch programming from mobile receivers because multipath pixelation and freezing problems have been addressed and virtually eliminated. There are plans to put ATSC 3.0 tuner chips in smartphones, tablets, laptops, and in-vehicle entertainment systems. Other major incentives for the television industry to adopt ATSC 3.0 are the ability to provide (and SELL) targeted advertising, as well as pay TV programming, because of the fact that ATSC 3.0 has an Internet connectivity component designed into it. Frankly, if the government didn't require the broadcasters to keep ATSC 1.0 alive, they wouldn't do-so voluntarily. Besides the elimination of pixelation and freezing, picture resolution will also improve, even on non-4k programming, because the standard resolution on ATSC 3.0 is 1080p where ATSC 1.0 HD resolution is limited to 1080i or 720p. ATSC 3.0 is even capable of 8k resolution. The big three TV manufacturers currently have dual tuner ATSC 1.0/ATSC 3.0 capability available on their higher-end models, and ATSC 3.0 tuner set top boxes are now available as well. ATSC 3.0 will soon trickle-down to the less expensive TV's within the next year or so. One last thing, the broadcasters believe that in the long run, ATSC 3.0 has the very real potential of being able to kill satellite TV and even cable TV.

Last edited:
Love my Sony XBR900
HardDrive built in for buying movies and 120Hz Native. Hasnt improved my PS4 PRO gaming,but at least the cars look better in 4K.

I cut the cord 10 years ago. I get approximately 25+ channels over the air which includes all the major network TV stations in better picture quality then you could get through Pay TV.
I’m just stating this to say that I never used my TV built-in Tuner and I never will. It’s a 900 series Sony TV.
My son in a different area of the state also has a similar system that I set up for him. In his area he gets approximately 50 stations and once again we do not use the built-in TV tuner and never will.
So for us buying a TV based on the broadcast stand it is a non-issue. We use separate DVR‘s with built-in tuners. This also gives us the same broadcast menu and recording options as your typical Pay TV service does except there is no cost once you purchase the device.
We also have Roku players that we use streaming services for. Cutting the cord a decade ago saved a boatload of money but it wasn’t just about money we get far better programming and so much content at such a low cost it’s ridiculous.
I can see 5 to 10 years down the road the value of 3.0 built in tuners on our secondary TV sets.

I have the Sony 900H tv and we use an antenna for local news and sporting events, NFL/NASCAR, have to say the picture quality is outstanding, nice to get the direct HD signal from the source than a satellite. ;)

Back