Plan for extending OCI from Nissan's 5k to 10k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2015 model year Nissan Frontier with the 2.5l QR25DE engine. I intend to keep this vehicle for a very long time, but with moderate annual mileage. I tow occasionally and haul things, but most use is a 30 mile commute between my small town and a larger city. The truck has a factory oil-to-water heat exchanger.

Nissan recommends oil changes every 5k miles. I propose 10k mile OCIs with Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 and a premium filter such the Mobil 1, Fram Ultra or other synthetic media filter. My only hesitation involves voiding the 50k mile power train warranty. I would like to believe that UOA showing that the oil was still serviceable would satisfy the warranty, but am hesitant to ask Nissan.

As the dealer gave me $25 credit for parts and service I bought 3 Nissan oil filters. Those used according to Nissan's schedule will get me to 20k miles at which point I would switch to the better products and run a few UOAs to ensure than the maintenance plan passes muster. I find it highly unlikely that I will encounter an engine problem between 20 and 50k miles.

I believe the plan to be solid, but welcome feedback.

Use the M1 after 50K. It's only about 9 oil changes until then. The M1 filter says it goes 15K miles WITH the M1 EP oil used.

I have a 07 Titan and change it at 5K miles only because I have a huge pile of GTX SynBlend oil ($2/qt) to go through before it switch to M1 EP.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner

Nissan recommends oil changes every 5k miles. I propose 10k mile OCIs with Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 and a premium filter such the Mobil 1, Fram Ultra or other synthetic media filter. My only hesitation involves voiding the 50k mile power train warranty. I would like to believe that UOA showing that the oil was still serviceable would satisfy the warranty, but am hesitant to ask Nissan.

I'm not a lawyer.
But unless it states in the warranty that a UOA showing servicable oil at 10K is ok, I doubt it would satisfy the warranty.
If the warranty states 5K OCIs, then so be it.

It is Nissan's warranty and it couldn't hurt to ask, but what do they have to gain by allowing you a longer interval?

So you say you're driving thirty miles each way five days a week?
This will allow the oil to get nice and warm and stay there for at least five days each week, as well as the engine itself, positive factors for extending drain intervals.
You also live in a farily moderate climate that sees neither extreme cold nor extreme heat and you don't have a hi-po killer engine, another plus.
I'd say that based upon what you've posted, including your decision to use a UOA or two to determine the suitability of the oil for further use in your engine as you use it, your plan sounds like a good one.
Incidentally, $25.00 for three rock-catcher Nissan OEM filters is almost criminal.

I have gotten over my hesitancy of calling Nissan. The person (Mike) who answered my call to the general customer service line got me no useful information only instructions to "ask the dealer". I told Mike that I am maintaining the vehicle, not the dealer and that Nissan warranties the vehicle, not the dealer. Mike reluctantly gave me the number to the warranty department. I can't wait any longer (8 minutes so far) on the phone today so no more news until I speak with someone in the warranty department.

I would if I drove at least 10k a year. Otherwise, change once a year.

I would do it with Amsoil, Redline, MPT, Royalpurple, Castrol EP, OilExtreme, Mobil1 EP or equivalent long life oil.

But, I would not use the Nissan tiny filter. I would use the largest premium filter that I could fit. So, once you used up those 5k Nissan filters, your engine will be well broken in. Any issues could be addresses in that time window. I am pretty sure this engine has had all its demons exorcized out already.

Check oil level weekly and top off as needed.

Originally Posted By: KzMitch

I'm not a lawyer.
But unless it states in the warranty that a UOA showing servicable oil at 10K is ok, I doubt it would satisfy the warranty.
If the warranty states 5K OCIs, then so be it.

It is Nissan's warranty and it couldn't hurt to ask, but what do they have to gain by allowing you a longer interval?

+1

I, too, would like to extend my 5k OCIs to one year or 10K using Pennzoil Ultra or Amsoil SSO.

And with 21k on the odometer, I'm likely to reach 50K without any issue whether I run 5k or 10k OCIs.

But, we all know that if the engine warranty comes into play during the next 29k miles and I've been running 10k OCIs, Nissan will hose me!

And they are likely to hose you, too, Joshua, if the unfortunate should occur with your Nissan.

i'd follow the manf. 5k intervals until I hit the end of warranty; but feel free to roll the dice.

What are you trying to gain? 5 oil changes, perhaps worth $30 each=$150 in nominal value.

If they said I will sell you an engine warranty for $200 to cover your engine for 20k->50k miles, i think most would pay that.

If it's all about the cost, you could use slightly cheaper or on-sale (but still really good) oil that you feel are slightly less than premium for the 5k intervals.

Last edited:
I highly doubt you can use good UOA's as an excuse to go 10k on the OCI's. If it is, it would be in the warranty paperwork. No phone monkey at Nissan is going to have the paperwork, nor the authority to make this call. YOU NEED TO DO THE 5K OCI. I cannot believe you are even contemplating this.

Last edited:
I would also point out that even after your 60k warranty period, your taking some risk in doubling the OCI. My 2008 RAV4 has now had the warranty extended to 120K and 10 years due to excessive oil consumption issues with these engines. I would hate to show up at the dealer and mention I doubled my OCI's after the first 60k.

To me this whole thing is backward. One the one hand, everyone (except me) is changing out their ATF (a closed system) at lower intervals than recommended while the engine oil (an open system) your all trying to extend the service life. You got it [censored] backwards...if the manufacturer is saying change it, frickin change it.

Last edited:
Personally, I would just run plain vanilla 5W/30 Mobil 1 and a TG for 5k each for the first 50k. That is only 4 extra OCs, and no argument on the warranty.

Then you can switch to the EP and higher end filter, for 10k OCIs.

4 extra oil changes, at $35 a pop, $140....Not including the few dollars you save from not using the higher end stuff, or doing UOAs. Seems like it would be worth it, not to sweat the warranty issue.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

Why not follow the label and run it 15K miles after the warranty period?

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog

Why not follow the label and run it 15K miles after the warranty period?

Cuz
57.gif

Nissan recommends oil changes every 5k miles. I propose 10k mile OCIs with Mobil 1 EP 5W-30

Read the fine print on Mobil's site. It says something to the effect that the oil "can" go to 15K,BUT,go by your car manufacturer's recommendations. Stay with 5K.

I will say this: on another forum there was a guy with a Chevy diesel pickup that used an extended drain oil, changing only the filter and topping off for nearly 50 or 60 k, when it had a mechanical failure. They initially turned down his warranty claim, until he showed them the UOAs he had done every several thousand miles. He asked them why he should change good oil....and after some review he got a new engine. YMMV.

In the end,the choice is yours. If you DO choose to extend, then of course get a UOA to determine the condition of the oil.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Nissan recommends oil changes every 5k miles. I propose 10k mile OCIs with Mobil 1 EP 5W-30

Read the fine print on Mobil's site. It says something to the effect that the oil "can" go to 15K,BUT,go by your car manufacturer's recommendations. Stay with 5K.

It says that to keep manufacturer warranty. Nothing to do with their oil.

I have a 2015 model year Nissan Frontier with the 2.5l QR25DE engine. I intend to keep this vehicle for a very long time, but with moderate annual mileage. I tow occasionally and haul things, but most use is a 30 mile commute between my small town and a larger city. The truck has a factory oil-to-water heat exchanger.

I believe the plan to be solid, but welcome feedback.

While under warranty, simply take it to the dealer for an OC based on the maximum time in the Nissan warranty/service book. No reason to change it under warranty: why risk the small chance of having to argue with Nissan over a repair?

I've done this with our 370Z which we have an extended warranty with Nissan on. I simply bring my own 5w30 full synthetic to the dealer every 6m or 7500m, which is the non-severe schedule in the manual.

Over the course of 5 years I'll spend perhaps 3 extra oil changes vs if I did it my self (just mileage, exteded time longer) which is about $200 total. Big whoop. However I have perfect records of Oil Changes with Nissan if needed.
smile.gif

- b

Who has experience getting a warranty engine issue revoked due to lack of OCI records? I only know one person who had an engine failure under a warranty. The dealer had the owner sign a paper saying they are opening the pan to inspect, and if fault of owner is found, they pay the cost of the inspection, but if the warranty work moves forward, there is no cost.

The dealer opened the valve covers and dropped the pan and saw the oil looked fresh and the filter looked fairly new, and not one question about producing records.

I think the warranty issues are overblown, at least from lack of people proving me wrong. Besides, the dealer is paid for the work from the manufacturer for warranty work, so they are getting paid no matter what.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

It says that to keep manufacturer warranty. Nothing to do with their oil.

Exactly. That's why I recommend following the car maker's FSM. Go by what Nissan recommends,not what Mobil says their oil "can" do. Nissan designed that engine,not Mobil. Mobil puts that disclaimer there so if you run their oil for 15k while the car maker says to strictly stay at 5k,if you try to go after Mobil to replace your engine,your case will be null and void.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back