Pistol maintenance FAQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have questions about what kind of products to use and how much lubrication to use in pistols that are used to fire some 100 rounds every 3 months or so.

Here is what I do:
- use ATF to clean any gunsmoke residue on the feed ramp, the barrel bore and any of the slide areas exposed to the gasses;
- dry the bore of any ATF residue;
- use a drop or two of ATF on the moving parts.

The problem with this approach is that the 1-2 drops is actually a lot of lubrication. With the impact of the shooting the lubrication gets on my hands very quickly. I am apprehensive of putting the gun in a pocket or anywhere near my dress shirt or suit.

What firearm are you shooting?

Most firearms do very will with very little lubrication. I can do several firearms with a single q-tip saturated in Break Free CLP, then go behind and wipe off the rails as best as possible.

Only match grade firearms that are extremely tight, and some AR-15 builds, require lube.

Also, why are you using ATF? That stuff stinks. Why not use a gun lube that is designed to use on a firearm and dosent smell so bad? The stuff I use, Break Free CLP they sell at Academy for 3 bucks a bottle.
Designed for firearms perform better in the long run generally because they have cleaning detergents and rust inhibitors that are designed for that specific purpose, I cant say that about ATF.

Also, a full quart of ATF, or any lube, will be a lifetime of lubricant for most mortals. Go easy on the lube.

Stop with the ATF.

Get a good gun cleaner and a gun lube.

I use Remington shotgun cleaner on my hand guns. Then I lube with a q-tip dipped in Remington RemOil.

Break free is a GREAT product aswell.

Quote:
Only match grade firearms that are extremely tight, and some AR-15 builds, require lube.

Say what? Even the military now recommends a wet application for better reliability. The reduction of friction can only make a gun more reliable and make it last longer.

Try running a stainless gun bone dry for a while.

Agree that ATF is not the ideal gun lube. Motor oil would be much better or any of top line gun lubes. I like Weapon Shield but BF or Slip 2000 are also quality.

Get some Jardine's Extreme grease if you want a lube that will not come off.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will now have to figure out where to get these lubricants. Locally there are only 2 guns shops around (30-40 miles away) and a Gander Mountain that will probably have some overpriced stuff.

Walmart will have Breakfree CLP, Outers gun oil, and Hopes gun oil. They will cost between $3.47 and $5.49 and will last quite a while.

The local Walmarts don't sell firearms or related stuff. Will see if they sell the gun oils.

I agree with Tempest on the Weapon Shield, very good stuff, doubt you will find it at Walmart though.

Would someone mind explaining the reason "why" or "why not" to use ATF for firearm lubrication.
Also, I read in one of these threads somewhere, to use ATF 3 instead of ATF 4. Why is that?

Originally Posted By: DmanWho
Would someone mind explaining the reason "why" or "why not" to use ATF for firearm lubrication.
Also, I read in one of these threads somewhere, to use ATF 3 instead of ATF 4. Why is that?

Not much AW and not formulated for exterior use (transmissions are sealed). I'm sure it would work Ok but there is better out there. I would use motor oil long before ATF, IMHO.

I would use ATF 4 over 3 except for the nasty smell.

ATF is too thin, IMO. It's about equal to a 5W-20, which I consider farrrrrr too thin for gun use. I like 15W-50 or thicker.

I used to use Super Tech 75W-140 synthetic gear oil, but it has a strong sulfur smell. I recently bought some Amsoil 75W-90 Severe Gear for my cars, and it has more of a sweet smell like some PCMO's have. It's decently thick, so I may try some of it on my guns. All that moly should be good at preventing wear.

I'm using the Rem Oil w/ Teflon, but these ATF posts had me wondering...

Being a fan of the moly also, but not wanting to go too thin or smell bad either, I may try using a little VSOT.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back