do used oil places charge to pickup old oil?

I have a bunch of steel barrels that held stuff used for spray foam. Wonder if I used like 3 of them to collect old oil if a truck would come and empty the those out. Or is 150ish gallons not enough for them? I'm also not sure if any residual stuff left in them would matter.

Post on your local FB group. People will come get it to use for running their furnaces. The companies that do oil collection as a service will charge you.

You have ~150 gallons of used oil in other containers currently ?

Post on your local FB group. People will come get it to use for running their furnaces. The companies that do oil collection as a service will charge you.

You have ~150 gallons of used oil in other containers currently ?
No, but it just seems like it would easier to just dump it into like 3 55 gallon barrels and have someone empty them out once every couple years. I want to keep the barrels though.

A public use privately owned airport near me has a large 300+ gallon plastic tote for old oil. I don't know if they pay or get paid to have it emptied?

My buddy with the Quik Lubes gets paid by a recycler when they pickup his old oil.

Ask at the fast-lube places for the name of their collector.
An oil collection/recycling firm might not be allowed to do business in a residential area.
I'm also not sure if any residual stuff left in them would matter.
I think it may. Our town had an oil collection tub. The town maintains its own trucks etc.
I was told a homeowner dumped paint into the oil tub and the town "got a fine". They closed off the tub to the public.
I believe only petroleum products can go into a re-refiner.

In a rather professional manner, go to Safety-Kleen dot com and select from their options. Choose "Used Motor Oil Service Request" and then enter your data. They will ask for your zip code and this will tell if they're available in your area. You can choose from tanks or drums. Choose drums and select the quantity that you have. Submit your request and wait to be contacted.

Let us know what you learn.

I was told a homeowner dumped paint into the oil tub and the town "got a fine".
When I drop oil or ATF off at O'Reilly, most of the workers do a quick sniff test. If they smell or even think they smell coolant, they'll refuse to take it 'cause the company they use (the bulk tank says Safety-Kleen so it's probably them unless the store bought the tank) will back-charge them a hefty "hazardous waste" fee.

If you combine a bunch of liftable things (like 5 qt jugs) into something you can't lift, you've just lowered the number of people who can pick it up, by a lot.

You may find that if noone comes to get it, you can get rid of "Homeowner amounts" of oil at your town dump, while a drum is "commercial."

Do you know anyone with a waste oil heater? My employer with one is happy to take all my waste oil including ATF and anything else that’s flammable.

We don't know where you are

Don't think people heat their houses with these, but usually a "shop" or garage. They don't rely on waste oil 100%, that I know of, but supplement it when they get waste oil for free.

No worries, just saying it's not as easy to get rid of in my area

I have a company that comes to my shop and takes my old oil. I wanted a waste oil heater but the costs was way too much and, being in Texas, it was better to spend the money on AC which I did. The company charges $150 to pick up and that is any amount. I call when my 4 barrels are full which is about a year for me. Google waste oil pickup and you will find a service.

My work gets credit toward new amounts of new motor oil. They pay is for our crushed oil filters too. So, oil from friends and family vehicles goes into one of our two underground waste oil tanks. 1,500 gal each.

Back