Can you identify this pistol?

I've been going through old family photos and slides and I recently ran across one that intrigued me. It's a shot of my Dad from around 1955 with what appear to be porcupines that were destined to become the evening meal.

Pops is still alive but he's pushing 90 now and he doesn't remember the pic or the pistol. So my question is if any of you guys can identify the pistol in his hand. I figure that it's probably a .22 but I don't know.
img655-X3.jpg

Last edited:
That is a head scratcher. None of the above suggestions looks like the gun in the picture.

The closest I can guestimate is a Walther P1 or P38 in stainless or nickel plating, but the right side coloration and flat receiver don't seem to match up. Hard to say with such a poor photo.

1466.jpg

Looks very much (what can be seen) like a Colt pistol. Its really hard to confirm for you with the limited parts that can be seen.
Sorry your Dad can not recall the photo or the gun.

That is a head scratcher. None of the above suggestions looks like the gun in the picture.

The closest I can guestimate is a Walther P1 or P38 in stainless or nickel plating, but the right side coloration and flat receiver don't seem to match up. Hard to say with such a poor photo.

1466.jpg
I thought that at first but like others have said you really can't dial in the details and this pistol varies sight wise amongst other things you mentioned and we know how old the picture is but the pistol could be an old variation and with the sun flashing on it, it could still be blued. I have other thoughts but the picture makes it a guessing game but Kool nevertheless

One compliment, the young man has excellent trigger and muzzle discipline. Finger off the trigger, pointed in safe direction.

There are definitely unique characteristics of the gun.
* Approximately 4" pencil barrel with a rounded front sight.
* Round, then squared off 90 degrees, receiver mate to the barrel.
* Rounded trigger guard.
* Flat top on the receiver, as far as one can tell. That might rule out the P1/P38, but it might just be a poor angle.
* I think the gun is stainless or nickel, because we see a black object that goes from the rear serrations to the rear sight. It's very puzzling to be honest.
* No obvious hammer, so it could be hidden by lighting, shaved off for easier concealed carry, hammerless design? Very hard to say.

You'd have to spend time on the photo, blow it up, clean it up, use magnification. Take to an expert perhaps. Or dig out a historic gun digest and do a comparison of every gun.

Back