Pirelli P7 All Season Plus II

Purchased new tires for the Prius today. After two sets of Michelin Premier A/S, I decided to try something different.

The Pirelli’s are a bit quieter and deliver a slightly softer ride, but at the expense of steering response. It is too early to comment on the traction.

I was averaging 40-45k per set of Michelin’s with my somewhat aggressive driving. If these Pirelli’s can achieve the same service life I will be happy.

Attachments

• 4460A7A2-93EB-472D-B8AE-43EA2B72A65E.jpeg
    4460A7A2-93EB-472D-B8AE-43EA2B72A65E.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 143
  • B7FA906E-4BA8-4186-BA96-D134CA732E34.jpeg
    B7FA906E-4BA8-4186-BA96-D134CA732E34.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 141
I'm on my 3rd set of P7 all season PLUS(1st gen) for different vehicles and I like'em very much.

The PLUS II(2nd gen) are supposed to address the "WET" traction and braking deficiencies of the 1st gen while still keeping the other good benefits such as the quiet & ride w/decent dry handling and good winter traction.

Although I personally have no issues with the tires in the wet however, when the P7 s are compared to their competition when tested by The Tire Rack & Consumer Reports, the P7 showed to be less capable in the wet than some others but scored high(er) in other areas.

Hopefully Pirelli has indeed addressed these issues.

have the

SCORPION VERDE™ ALL SEASON PLUS II​

which is the same tire in cuv sizes..on the 2013 equinox.. no complaints. even pretty good in light snow.

Steering effort is lighter, but being close to a minivan handling isnt really important as long as it doesnt wallow around like its riding on marshmallows.

Last edited:
Purchased new tires for the Prius today. After two sets of Michelin Premier A/S, I decided to try something different.

The Pirelli’s are a bit quieter and deliver a slightly softer ride, but at the expense of steering response. It is too early to comment on the traction.

I was averaging 40-45k per set of Michelin’s with my somewhat aggressive driving. If these Pirelli’s can achieve the same service life I will be happy.
It's a bit hilarious to see Prius and aggressive driving mentioned!

It's a bit hilarious to see Prius and aggressive driving mentioned!
Right?😂 I take corners a bit hard and chuckle since the fuel economy rarely drops below upper 30’s, regardless of the circumstances.
I'm on my 3rd set of P7 all season PLUS(1st gen) for different vehicles and I like'em very much.

The PLUS II(2nd gen) are supposed to address the "WET" traction and braking deficiencies of the 1st gen while still keeping the other good benefits such as the quiet & ride w/decent dry handling and good winter traction.

Although I personally have no issues with the tires in the wet however, when the P7 s are compared to their competition when tested by The Tire Rack & Consumer Reports, the P7 showed to be less capable in the wet than some others but scored high(er) in other areas.

Hopefully Pirelli has indeed addressed these issues.
The main concern is with wet traction deteriorating over time. This was a somewhat common complaint on the Plus (Gen 1) version due to grooves not going all the way through the tread. Not sure if this has been resolved on the latest version.

have the

which is the same tire in cuv sizes..on the 2013 equinox.. no complaints. even pretty good in light snow.

Steering effort is lighter, but being close to a minivan handling isnt really important as long as it doesnt wallow around like its riding on marshmallows.
Treadwear seems to be much worse on the SUV versions, or with all of the SUV tires lately.

The Critic:
The main concern is with wet traction deteriorating over time. This was a somewhat common complaint on the Plus (Gen 1) version due to grooves not going all the way through the tread. Not sure if this has been resolved on the latest version.

Right however, these tires were tested when new and showed to be less capable in the wet than their competition.

The Critic:

Right however, these tires were tested when new and showed to be less capable in the wet than their competition.
Seems like the Cross Climates perform significantly better, but the P7's are comparable to the Quiettrack:

Right!
And again, I like the P7s and don't notice any wet weather deficiencies in my daily commute in city driving or on a long interstate trip...Oh, maybe if it came down to two tire brands/models under the same circumstance in an emergency maneuver to avoid a disaster, one of the tire models would likely perform better than the other helping the (skilled driver) avoid an accident. However, I drive responsibly and adjust for weather conditions...unlike the idiot who ended up in a ditch.

Last edited:
have the

Tread patterns are totally different, so I wouldn't call it the same tire in CUV sizes.
pi_cinturato_p7_all_season_plus_ii_full.jpg

pi_scorpion_verde_all_season_plus_ii_full.jpg

I have about 100 miles on these tires. The sidewalls are noticeably softer so this has positively impacted ride quality. Wet traction is also a step down from the Premier's; these do not feel "glued" to the road in the same way as the Premier's did.

I think these tires were a great value and are probably fine for the average consumer, but I do think the Premier's perform at a higher level for the more discerning driver. Of course, this comes at a higher cost.

I've had good results with my LX25 cross-contact tires so far. I am down to about 4/32 all around, but they are still doing great in the snow and pretty well on ice for an all season, and no issues in heavy rain. I have 45K miles on them currently. Not sure if I want to try these, or go back with them again. How are these in snow and ice?

Drove my FILs Hyundai SantaFe SPORT w/OE Continental CrossContact LX25 and they are indeed a nice tire. However, these tires just don't come in many car tire sizes.

I tell people all the time that if you like a tire that is on your vehicle, stay with it. You already know it's characteristics.

My P7s(215-55-17) don't absorb the impacts in the road the way the Tire Rack test drivers claim(using 225-50-17) nor compared to my previous OE MXV4s. The P7s are OK but not where I thought they should be compared to their test score. My OE MXV4s were terrible in the wet but we're probably the most serene tire I've ever owned. However, the MXV4 at $226/ea, this was a no brainier for the P7s at $103/ea on TR closeout.

I now have had, 3 sets of P7s and 1 set of P4s( P4 were my 1st set of Pirellis). There is something about the P4s that I like even better than the P7s. There seems to be a special connection to the driver w/P4 that communicates to me better than the P7s.

Although I'd love to get another set of P4s, IDK if Pirelli changed the chemistry/compound(now called P4 PLUS) that would make them NOT feel the same as the set I bought back in 2007. And too, I've been able to get the P7s at a lower or close to the cost of the P4s so, this is an easy decision in choosing the P7 over the P4.

Last edited:
My P7s(215-55-17) don't absorb the impacts in the road the way the Tire Rack test drivers claim(using 225-50-17) nor compared to my previous OE MXV4s. The P7s are OK but not where I thought they should be compared to their test score. My OE MXV4s were terrible in the wet but we're probably the most serene tire I've ever owned. However, the MXV4 at $226/ea, this was a no brainier for the P7s at $103/ea on TR closeout.
Mine definitely absorb bumps better than the Premier's but are a downgrade in the other performance areas.

I guess that we can say..."no two things are the same!" Especially when it comes to tires of the same brand/model but in different sizes compared to their direct competition.

I have about 6K on these tires now.

Wet and dry traction are comparable to the Premiers.

These ride softer and are noticeably quieter.

Bad news is a "wobbly feeling" that was not present on the Premiers; it feels like tread squirm. I think this is due to the softer sidewalls.

Overall they are a solid all-season tire for someone who values ride quality and traction, but is not too concerned about handling.

Back