"Ping" issue Revistited- 2000 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I couldn't pinpoint it for you, but this is what the most common "To check" list there is once you have done all the things you have done already...

If you need more help with this, please PM me and I will have my dad post it on his Forum for answers.

cheers3.gif
Good Luck Bud!

I had one other thought just now, not sure if it's significant.

We had the plugs swapped at around 100K miles (not sure exactly). This car calls for iridium plugs. My girlfriends cousin did the work. He mentioned he used NGK, but not if they were iridium. If he used a regular plug/platinum, is it possible that this caused the issue?

I know that asian engines can be quite fussy on plugs when it comes to pinging.

I would try replacing these first.

Put in the Iridium and make sure they are the exact ones Toyota calls for (call up a dealership or purchase them there).

The temperature of the plugs electrode is enough to cause pinging if the plugs aren't the right ones and running too hot in the cylinder head.

NGK is a darn good plug, but if it's too hot it will cause the engine to ping, especially if your car isn't equipped with an EGR valve.

cheers3.gif

I was thinking of using the NGK Laser Iridium's, which is supposedly their best plug. These are 7.00/plug on Rockauto. I'm not sure what the dealer has, but they want 16.00/plug, yikes!

I would find out what the exact plug is from the dealer and buy it wherever its cheapest... Don't use the laser Iridium if its not called for or it's not Original Equipment because we are trying to troubleshoot a specific problem and this could be the variable causing it...

On another note I have these Laser Iridium in my Santa Fe and they are awesome! (They were original equipment though...)

In the manual it states to use NGK or Denso. I suppose I could use the Denso's, they are 8.00/plug on Rockauto. These are probably the exact plugs the dealer sells for 16.00/plug
smirk2.gif

Probably. Do you know if the dealer has any TSB's for your engine that says what plug must be used? If not then I would go with the Denso.

Sorry to be so adamant about this, but I just don't want you to bang your head against the wall unnecessarily and Spark Plugs could cause this...

In most Toyota owner's manuals, they list the NGK and Denso spark plug part numbers under the specifications section.

Some cars use ignition timing adjustments for a smooth idle, I would not make any assumptions with a timing light. A cheap scan tool will also show timing advance... yet, ironically, not knock retard (directly).

Had a cutlass ciera cursed with pinging, new stock plugs cured for a day... and when I flushed the radiator by changing fresh water every night for a week it ran great. Figure I had scaly deposits in water jackets causing localized overheating. You could do an aggressive rad flush if the plugs don't cure it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Some cars use ignition timing adjustments for a smooth idle, I would not make any assumptions with a timing light. A cheap scan tool will also show timing advance... yet, ironically, not knock retard (directly).

Had a cutlass ciera cursed with pinging, new stock plugs cured for a day... and when I flushed the radiator by changing fresh water every night for a week it ran great. Figure I had scaly deposits in water jackets causing localized overheating. You could do an aggressive rad flush if the plugs don't cure it.

There is a procedure to check timing on all cars at idle. Some can be just checked, others require you to do something to let the computer know you are checking the timing. Eg: Unplugging the temperature sensor etc...

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Maybe it is a timing issue. have you ever changed the timing belt?

Could be off even 1 notch and cause this...
wink.gif

First off, this engine has a chain. Secondly, if the belt skipped a tooth, YOU'D KNOW IT!

Advanced cam timing can cause a rise in compression pressures, and subsequent pinging.
Normally they wear retarded, and only advance if they jump a tooth.

Well, I'm going to see which plugs are in there now.

And yes, the plugs are listed in the manual.

If they are incorrect, I'll use NGK or Denso Iridiums.

I'll keep this thread updated.

Thanks for all of the help.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Maybe it is a timing issue. have you ever changed the timing belt?

Could be off even 1 notch and cause this...
wink.gif

First off, this engine has a chain. Secondly, if the belt skipped a tooth, YOU'D KNOW IT!

I found out later that it was a chain... I'm not familiar with this engine... So "Excuse me" for trying to help!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Calm down buddy, I wasn't trying to be an a$$!
11.gif

I was giving you a hard time... I know you're not like that...

LOL.gif
I win... I'm the one laughing...
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back