Picked up a Copart vehicle

There is this guy in Oklahoma with a YouTube channel that loves to buy hail damaged vehicles that are otherwise perfectly good.

I think hail damage falls in to a little different scenario, than vehicles that have been wrecked-all air bags have deployed. etc.

It seems (by others who have posted) that the biggest issue with CoPart is the phrase in the description of vehicles that says "runs and drives". It seems that phrase has a wide interpretation.

It's spelled out pretty clearly in their policy guide. Runs means the engine starts (with a jump if necessary) and runs. It can be knocking, smoking or leaking fluids, but as long as the engine operates, it runs. Drives means that when you put it into drive, it moves. You might have to rev it to redline, but if it moves it drives.

It's spelled out pretty clearly in their policy guide. Runs means the engine starts (with a jump if necessary) and runs. It can be knocking, smoking or leaking fluids, but as long as the engine operates, it runs. Drives means that when you put it into drive, it moves. You might have to rev it to redline, but if it moves it drives.

Then there are many on here who are not reading that information. Even then-it's still abstract IMHO. I mean you can have two front fenders smashed up against the tires-but the motor starts and you could drag the car along a few feet-hey it runs ad drives. As stated by a few on here previously-you really need to look at the vehicle in question in person.

Up until a few years ago, the salvage auctions were for dealers with professional buyers who knew what they could expect. Then the auctions started allowing these brokers in who would let anybody buy a salvage car for a fee. Most public buyers have no idea what they are getting when they bid based on a few pictures and description. The insurance companies and other sellers love it because the cars bring more money than they used to, especially from buyers in Europe and Africa.

I would love to know the story behind that car. I mean why did someone start repairs and stop. Maybe the owner was unable to pay for repairs or something.

I would love to know the story behind that car. I mean why did someone start repairs and stop. Maybe the owner was unable to pay for repairs or something.
Maybe the shop went belly up? Maybe both shop and owner gave up once they got into it.

All re-builder cars come with some un seen risk but if you look in person and know what to look for there are some good deals if you can do all or most of the work yourself.
Hoping to find a re builder to fix up for myself next year and there are lots of other sources to buy from other than Co-Part. A lot of auto wreckers have re builders for sale without the auction BS , just price it and pay it.

Back