Picked up a beater to flip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Looks good Nick. A lot of miles, but the 3.8L and 4T65E trans is a great long lasting combo.
Intake manifold gasket fiasco? Is the oil milky white or is there water on the underside of the oil fill cap?

I know the 3.1/3.4L had IMG issues, but I'm not aware of the 3.8L having issues with this. *Assuming* this Buick has the 3.8 that is.
It's got the 3.8L, which is also known to have bad intake manifold gaskets.

You can tell just by looking that it's been changed, luckily.

Originally Posted By: supton
Lemme guess, cheapest oil for a change, and call it a day...

Sounds like a fun project.
Oil is perfectly at the full line and looks very clean. I'm not changing it lol.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Looks good Nick. A lot of miles, but the 3.8L and 4T65E trans is a great long lasting combo.
Intake manifold gasket fiasco? Is the oil milky white or is there water on the underside of the oil fill cap?

I know the 3.1/3.4L had IMG issues, but I'm not aware of the 3.8L having issues with this. *Assuming* this Buick has the 3.8 that is.
It's got the 3.8L, which is also known to have bad intake manifold gaskets.
Yep, all the 3000 series engines had this issue

Originally Posted By: supton
Lemme guess, cheapest oil for a change, and call it a day...

Sounds like a fun project.
Oil is perfectly at the full line and looks very clean. I'm not changing it lol.

Sounds like the cheapest oil change of them all!

Yep, all the 3000 series engines had this issue

I hear you, but the 3.8 was a completely different animal last I knew. Totally different head and HG setup than the 3.1/3.4, such as the pushrods don't go through the gasket, etc.

Hope it all works out.

The ac is likely not a $50 charge as freon stays in as long as system does not have leaks. Hopefully something easy but AC can be $$$ to repair and no one in AZ wants a car without it.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Hope it all works out.

The ac is likely not a $50 charge as freon stays in as long as system does not have leaks. Hopefully something easy but AC can be $$$ to repair and no one in AZ wants a car without it.
I had a 96 Chevy pickup that for 3 years in a row I bought a $20 can of refrigerant and topped it off. It blew ice cold afterwards and after 1 year it wasn't all that cold. Just needed another recharge.

A buddy of mine is a mechanic and he looked at it and can't see any major leaks visually. Stuck a screwdriver into the port hole and a little came out but it's low enough to still be empty. He'll recharge it next week for around $50 and we'll see how it goes.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Hope it all works out.

I had a 96 Chevy pickup that for 3 years in a row I bought a $20 can of refrigerant and topped it off. It blew ice cold afterwards and after 1 year it wasn't all that cold. Just needed another recharge.

A buddy of mine is a mechanic and he looked at it and can't see any major leaks visually. Stuck a screwdriver into the port hole and a little came out but it's low enough to still be empty. He'll recharge it next week for around $50 and we'll see how it goes.

Parents' '97 Suburban is the same way.

Step 1. Install cheapie stereo deck
Step 2. Install cheapie subs/box/amp in trunk
Step 3. List it for sale in about 6-8 weeks when people are getting their $6,000+ EIC & child tax credit federal refunds

A guy I work with buys a winter beater every year and this is how he sells it come spring time, every year. He will park it with a for sale sign in a shopping plaza that has a pay-day loan place and tax/finance place. Works every time.

Very nice! Was a bit concerned (given how quickly you purchased, etc.), but looks like you've done well for yourself!

Originally Posted By: 04SE
Step 1. Install cheapie stereo deck
Step 2. Install cheapie subs/box/amp in trunk
Step 3. List it for sale in about 6-8 weeks when people are getting their $6,000+ EIC & child tax credit federal refunds

A guy I work with buys a winter beater every year and this is how he sells it come spring time, every year. He will park it with a for sale sign in a shopping plaza that has a pay-day loan place and tax/finance place. Works every time.
Outstanding marketing idea!

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
That will be a bit of a tough sell with those miles. Stick to under 150k.

In Pa yes. In Az no problem. Cleaned up and priced right it will sell easy, especially with a few new parts on it. Some thump in the trunk would ice the cake.

How long does it take for them to process your photo ID? I want to bid on a vehicle ending on Weds and they still won't let me. They need to hustle up.

How long does it take for them to process your photo ID? I want to bid on a vehicle ending on Weds and they still won't let me. They need to hustle up.
I got approved in one day. Signed up 12/21 and approved ID 12/22

I have a $150 bid on a 96 Chevy Lumina. A little worried about that one, didn't think I'd win this one so I bid on it too. Auction is on 1/9

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

In Pa yes. In Az no problem. Cleaned up and priced right it will sell easy, especially with a few new parts on it. Some thump in the trunk would ice the cake.

Ah, yo comprendo.

How does the title transfer work on these auction sites? I've always been interested in flipping a few cars a year, but it takes 8+ weeks to get a title in your name in order to sell it again.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Yep,same with down here. Add some bass and it will sell like hotcakes!

Originally Posted By: Huie83
How does the title transfer work on these auction sites? I've always been interested in flipping a few cars a year, but it takes 8+ weeks to get a title in your name in order to sell it again.

Really? You can pay $25 here for a speed title, and it'll be to you within the week.

Originally Posted By: Huie83
They notarized the title right in front of me and handed it to me. I haven't yet but I could walk into the DMV or a 3rd party place and it'll be in my name within 5 minutes with registration in hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back