Photo Mask Cover for Licence Plates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Exactly this. What if they have 3 photos of your license plate every day over 5 years, that's hundreds of pictures. If they think you have a mistress, so what, unless you want a cool government job that needs a security clearance and what they think they know about you doesn't jive with what you actually do. They're lazy or backlogged and trust computer algorithms more than they should, and will mine that data.

It doesn't even have to be something that seems wrong at the time. How bout the Mozilla CEO that had to resign because of donations he made to a perfectly legitimate cause years ago. Now you have technology that can show you in all sorts of places that years down the road may have an impact on your life or job.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: andrewg
I also think DUI checkpoints are a violation of the constitution. I would much prefer saturated patrols where they observe people driving impaired - my suspicion is they would also be more effective.

I don't agree with those at all. Same thing with Border Security making you exit (miles inside our borders) and then looking inside your car as though you are an illegal.

Yeah those are the worst down around Tucson. I was at a holiday party and this school teacher in her 30's was telling me about her dealings...she is white, blond hair no accent - clearly not someone you would expect to be crossing the border. She works at a school in Nogales which is on the border so she passes through a checkpoint on her way to and from work, she said they know her and usually just wave her through. One day the dog picked up on a scent and they tore her car apart - of course they didn't find anything.

I went through one on the I-8 but they didn't stop me.

Sounds like the exact same checkpoint I endured. I found it remarkable and rather bold of the authorities to place a checkpoint 10 miles or so INSIDE the U.S. where you have no choice but to exit. That really made me feel like I was in another country.
All of these checkpoints should be AT the border. Stopping U.S. citizens miles within the country to look inside your vehicle makes me extremely uncomfortable and annoyed. I still have a vision of this young, sour faced looking border guard leaning his head forward to peer into my vehicle and at my girlfriend next to me....while his hands were resting on his tactical belt. If they want to catch illegals....do it at the border.

Last edited:
Supposedly they can setup the checkpoints anywhere within 100 miles of the border.

constitutionfreezonemap.jpg

The fourth amendment protects from unreasonable search and seizure, and clearly requires probable cause - so running everyone's plate would clearly be in violation of the constitution.

Clearly you are wrong'
https://www.motorists.org/issues/dui/roadblock/

Quote:
Very interesting, as long as it isn't the 2nd amendment being violated you don't care. You realize as soon as you infringe on the others your coveted 2nd is likely to fall too?

When did I say that? I just indicated you were wrong..which you are.
I care about all of my rights including the 4th and 2nd, But I am not a Chicken Little.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Do what the Russians do to avoid automatic detection.

maybach2.jpg

Query *11EM and Maybach and come back with 1 car likely.

@madRiver, it is to prevent automatic detection on the streets. Manual interference will not only reveal the identity of the car but also result in a fine for trying to conceal the license plate. I'm sure the driver has done the risk/benefit analysis and it makes sense to cover the number plate.

Originally Posted By: Al

The fourth amendment protects from unreasonable search and seizure, and clearly requires probable cause - so running everyone's plate would clearly be in violation of the constitution.

Clearly you are wrong'
https://www.motorists.org/issues/dui/roadblock/

Quote:
Very interesting, as long as it isn't the 2nd amendment being violated you don't care. You realize as soon as you infringe on the others your coveted 2nd is likely to fall too?

When did I say that? I just indicated you were wrong..which you are.
I care about all of my rights including the 4th and 2nd, But I am not a Chicken Little.

I think the first quoted item is incorrect. Dishdude is not talking about the road blocks but the mass collection of location data of the cars.

Also, it is worth to note, if one is reading the roadblock article, that the citizens do not have a constitutional right to privacy. There are some reasonable expectations of it, but not a right as such.

Here is an interesting read.

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/conlaw/rightofprivacy.html

In CA, I believe that you only have to get your front wheels across the threshold of the intersection before the light turns red. Other drivers also must not enter an intersection that is not clear, so if you get stuck out in the middle and the light turns red, you should not be ticketed.

But, as someone mentioned earlier, in SoCal/LA, you can simply ignore the ticket and they won't collect. It was basically a voluntary system without enforcement.

There's also tricks of covering your face with paper/briefcase. Then they can't prove who was operating the car (this may vary by state law).

Of course, you could just not run red lights, too.

And many posted that what they know is they don't work.

If you think nobody shared their experience, you were not reading and/or comprehending all the comments.

Originally Posted By: vintageant
OP here.

Hilarious 50 comments!

My original question was:

Anybody have any experience with these?

All of you should have posted: "NO"

Nobody is any wiser!

Supposedly they can setup the checkpoints anywhere within 100 miles of the border.

constitutionfreezonemap.jpg

If this is true...I am disgusted.

I think illegals are a huge issue and everything SHOULD have been done a long time ago to keep our borders secure. Our government FAILED us miserably. Protecting a nations border is one of the MAIN duties of ANY government. It should have been expected.

But now...after all the illegals poured in...and some continue to do so...the average American citizen can expect to be stopped at CHECKPOINTS within 100 miles of our border? We have no right to just tell them NO WAY? That is just unreasonable and the government should be taken to the Supreme Court on this. It's like assuming a person is committing a crime by just driving on the highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back