Photo Mask Cover for Licence Plates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Why don't you just obey the law and not run red lights?

You know, many people are killed EVERY year from idiots that run red lights.

I guess ethics and laws don't mean much anymore as long as a person can get away with something.

This is a very valid point, but I've seen some cameras that are overly aggressive. Specifically, in Maryland these things are all over and it does make some drivers act erratically.

Yes, aggressive cameras are a problem. Here, there are few red light cameras, but where they are in place, they're programmed sensibly. The yellow isn't shortened. And, you don't get photographed unless you actually enter the intersection after the light turns red. A late yellow won't get you at all.

Of course, none of that matters if drivers get panicky from not understanding the things.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Why do you think this is for running red lights? Our cars are monitored constantly and our driving habits stored electronically.

So why do you care about that...unless you're doing something illegal...

I'm not being ignorant. I make perfect sense when I say that without constant monitoring, who cares if a cop or agency (without DMV access) has photos of my license plate?? You really think that a handful of cops in any given area spend a large part of the day following and taking pics of everyones license plate? No way. Even if they did...so what? Anybody with a camera can go to a mall parking lot and take thousands of photo's of plates all day long. Why should anybody care?
The ONLY way to know the whereabouts of people at any given moment is a chip or similar GPS pinging device w/identifier. That, I would be concerned about because they would have real time information on a constant basis.
But photos of my plates? So what.
Dude. They'y aren't taking pictures of your plate and pinning up on a wall somewhere. The camera reads your number and enters it and the location directly into a database. It's not much different than putting a GPS tracker in your car. If you have enough cameras it's no different. Seeing how lucrative this data is and how cheap tech is getting, there is only going to more and more cameras. Ignorance is bliss.

Whomever can survey me as much as they want...they will be gathering a whole bunch of nothing because I don't do anything that would be of any interest to anyone else...and I'm not a criminal, so why should I care?

OP here.

Hilarious 50 comments!

My original question was:

Anybody have any experience with these?

All of you should have posted: "NO"

Nobody is any wiser!

Originally Posted By: grampi
Whomever can survey me as much as they want...they will be gathering a whole bunch of nothing because I don't do anything that would be of any interest to anyone else...and I'm not a criminal, so why should I care?

So you don't care about the constitution?

It may be nothing now. Who knows what will be going on in 5-10 years. I'd prefer the records not exist.

Originally Posted By: hatt

I'm not being ignorant. I make perfect sense when I say that without constant monitoring, who cares if a cop or agency (without DMV access) has photos of my license plate?? You really think that a handful of cops in any given area spend a large part of the day following and taking pics of everyones license plate? No way. Even if they did...so what? Anybody with a camera can go to a mall parking lot and take thousands of photo's of plates all day long. Why should anybody care?
The ONLY way to know the whereabouts of people at any given moment is a chip or similar GPS pinging device w/identifier. That, I would be concerned about because they would have real time information on a constant basis.
But photos of my plates? So what.
Dude. They'y aren't taking pictures of your plate and pinning up on a wall somewhere. The camera reads your number and enters it and the location directly into a database. It's not much different than putting a GPS tracker in your car. If you have enough cameras it's no different. Seeing how lucrative this data is and how cheap tech is getting, there is only going to more and more cameras. Ignorance is bliss.

I realize what you said. You are saying that "they" are recording images of EVERYONES license plate as you pass by EVERY camera at EVERY intersection/police car or private business that has a camera. You believe a literal network of cameras exists all across our nation doing this. You think they are storing all this data somewhere and that companies will pay money for it (to sell us stuff in the form of advertising based on where we go) and our government will someday use it all against us.
That about cover it?
I disagree and think that's laughable. You insist on saying that I am ignorant.
I guess we'll just have to have different opinions.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

I greatly respect our constitution and want it to be the over riding document that guarantees us our rights and outlines government limits.

Can you point to a specific constitutional infringement whereby recording ones license plate has anything to do with our rights?

It might make us all uncomfortable, but there is nothing illegal about it. A license plate is required identification to allow you access to the roadways. It is not a right to drive a car.

Can you point to a specific constitutional infringement whereby recording ones license plate has anything to do with our rights?
It is not a right to drive a car.

This. Waiting to hear from Dishdue....

It may be nothing now. Who knows what will be going on in 5-10 years. I'd prefer the records not exist.

The ol slippery slope eh?
Scheesch Who cares what the government knows about me..seriously. The Government has the collective intelligence of a 9 year old. You are imagining like the "Wizard of OZ" is looking at how to Screw the citizenry.
Remember we have the 2nd Amendment. That ain't going away, at for me its not. And that's all that matters

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al

It is not a right to drive a car.

This. Waiting to hear from Dishdue....

The fourth amendment protects from unreasonable search and seizure, and clearly requires probable cause - so running everyone's plate would clearly be in violation of the constitution.

Originally Posted By: Al

The ol slippery slope eh?
Scheesch Who cares what the government knows about me..seriously. The Government has the collective intelligence of a 9 year old. You are imagining like the "Wizard of OZ" is looking at how to Screw the citizenry.
Remember we have the 2nd Amendment. That ain't going away, at for me its not. And that's all that matters

Very interesting, as long as it isn't the 2nd amendment being violated you don't care. You realize as soon as you infringe on the others your coveted 2nd is likely to fall too?

I'm not sure that running a plate is a 4th amendment issue. The terms "Probable Cause" and "Reasonable" can be interpreted differently by many. Have any court cases determined the constitutionality of it?

It is something I think I need to look into a bit more. I'm glad we've had this thread.

Maybe it is a violation? I'll need to do some serious research into this.

I am certainly not above changing my opinion.

I also think DUI checkpoints are a violation of the constitution. I would much prefer saturated patrols where they observe people driving impaired - my suspicion is they would also be more effective.

I also think DUI checkpoints are a violation of the constitution. I would much prefer saturated patrols where they observe people driving impaired - my suspicion is they would also be more effective.

I don't agree with those at all. Same thing with Border Security making you exit (miles inside our borders) and then looking inside your car as though you are an illegal.

Exactly this. What if they have 3 photos of your license plate every day over 5 years, that's hundreds of pictures. If they think you have a mistress, so what, unless you want a cool government job that needs a security clearance and what they think they know about you doesn't jive with what you actually do. They're lazy or backlogged and trust computer algorithms more than they should, and will mine that data.

I don't agree with those at all. Same thing with Border Security making you exit (miles inside our borders) and then looking inside your car as though you are an illegal.

Yeah those are the worst down around Tucson. I was at a holiday party and this school teacher in her 30's was telling me about her dealings...she is white, blond hair no accent - clearly not someone you would expect to be crossing the border. She works at a school in Nogales which is on the border so she passes through a checkpoint on her way to and from work, she said they know her and usually just wave her through. One day the dog picked up on a scent and they tore her car apart - of course they didn't find anything.

I went through one on the I-8 but they didn't stop me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back