PH 6607 VS. 7317

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've read here that the 7317 is just a longer version of the 6607, and all other characteristics are identical. So is it safe to say that the 7317 can be used for any application specifying the 6607 provided there's sufficient physical clearance for the filter to fit in the engine compartment? Also, is there any inherent advantage to using a larger filter other than the obvious extra contaminant-holding capacity? The reason I ask is Fram doesn't make an Extended Guard version of the 6607 (specified for my application) but they do for the 7317 and the Extended Guard is the only Fram I will use so I'd like to use the Extended Guard 7317 in place of the PH 6607) Thanks!

Originally Posted By: MADMIKE
I think I've read here that the 7317 is just a longer version of the 6607, and all other characteristics are identical. So is it safe to say that the 7317 can be used for any application specifying the 6607 provided there's sufficient physical clearance for the filter to fit in the engine compartment? Also, is there any inherent advantage to using a larger filter other than the obvious extra contaminant-holding capacity? The reason I ask is Fram doesn't make an Extended Guard version of the 6607 (specified for my application) but they do for the 7317 and the Extended Guard is the only Fram I will use so I'd like to use the Extended Guard 7317 in place of the PH 6607) Thanks!

I put in the ST 7317 in place of a 6607 on my in law's Sentra. There's never been a problem. It makes it more easy to take off since it's longer. If you have a Wal-Mart near by, pick up the ST and not the Fram. It's a better filter and cheaper.

Quote:
Also, is there any inherent advantage to using a larger filter other than the obvious extra contaminant-holding capacity?

You might gain a tick in the efficiency end of things if the same media is used as the smaller filter.

Extended Guards look like a well built filter.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
Also, is there any inherent advantage to using a larger filter other than the obvious extra contaminant-holding capacity?

You might gain a tick in the efficiency end of things if the same media is used as the smaller filter.

Oops i just noticed that he said Extended Guard. Nevermind what i said about picking up an ST over an Extended Guard. Right now i have the Extended Guard 7317 on my Civic.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:

As a filter loads up, the efficiency goes UP at the expense of flow. I sometimes wonder if Frams and their reduced media filter better. If a larger filter has more of the same media, it would be filtering less efficiently late in the OCI.

Originally Posted By: labman
If a larger filter has more of the same media, it would be filtering less efficiently late in the OCI.

That's why Honda recommends change the filter every other oil change.

I think I've read here that the 7317 is just a longer version of the 6607....

My Xterra uses the 7317. I never imagined they made a smaller filter.

Originally Posted By: labman

As a filter loads up, the efficiency goes UP at the expense of flow. I sometimes wonder if Frams and their reduced media filter better. If a larger filter has more of the same media, it would be filtering less efficiently late in the OCI.

Do any of the filter manufacture's or filter test labs publish tech data showing the filter's efficiency vs. loading?

Of course, when the filter is the most efficient (for a minute or two) is right before it pops the bypass valve and contaminates the whole system.
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Canawler
I think I've read here that the 7317 is just a longer version of the 6607....

My Xterra uses the 7317. I never imagined they made a smaller filter.

Yeah, a 7317 is ~3.4" tall and a 6607 is ~2.6" tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back