PF48E cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi this is off my work truck - 2010 Chevy 1500 5.3 - 148k miles. I have been wanting to cut a filter open on this one for a while, but I usually have our mechanic to changes and never remember to save the filter. kind of rough, but no tears. Pleats are collapsed and flattened in 2 spots where there are wide pleats. This is on 3800 miles (49% OLM) with some real cold Minnesota February down to -30 one morning and quite a few -20 starts. I did warm up for 5-10 minutes before taking off and took it easy for the first mile before I got on the highway. 5W30 Cenex Maxtron Synthetic Dexos gen2. I put another 48E on and 5W30 Pronto Syn(WPP) in.

It has been having oiling problems that usually start in the spring and seem to go away with an oil change. This week was the third year in a row the pressure tanked to zero while going down the highway. No tapping or noises and it goes back up after shutting off waiting a minute and starting back up. Usually pressure starts to get lower around the 6-7000 mile mark when the OLM is around 20-30%. Pressure gets below 20 hot idle and 35 psi at 1500 rpm. Fresh oil gets 25 PSI idle and 38-40 at 1500.

I am pretty sure the filter is running bypass more often and running crud up to the screen before the sending unit and giving me false pressure readings. At least I don't see evidence of the o-ring in the pickup tube problems. We did change the screen and sending unit 3 years ago. I should put a larger filter on, but this isn't my truck and will be going down the road later this year anyway. BTW I have had this problem with Wix and Delco and this was the first one cut open that looked like this. I have cut 2 others open and they looked flawless, but they were also summer filters and no tanking pressure with them. Doesn't matter what oil either; Cenex, Pronto, or AC Delco syn all seem to be the same performance regarding oil pressure - all bottles as we don't have 5w30 in bulk with a mostly Ford fleet.

IMG_5618.JPG

IMG_5617.JPG

IMG_5619.JPG

IMG_5620.JPG

IMG_5621.JPG

IMG_5622.JPG

It caught whatever crud was in the oil stream.

I have run this same filter in my daughter's 5.3L V8 '08 Trailblazer and it always looks cruddy right after winter.

At the last oil C&F I installed a Fram XG10060.

The regular AC Delco filters are ok, but the e-core filters just aren't up to the job. I would recommend going with the Fram Ultra in the future as those are nice beefy filters.

Originally Posted by cmlind
Usually pressure starts to get lower around the 6-7000 mile mark when the OLM is around 20-30%. Pressure gets below 20 hot idle and 35 psi at 1500 rpm. Fresh oil gets 25 PSI idle and 38-40 at 1500.

I am pretty sure the filter is running bypass more often and running crud up to the screen before the sending unit and giving me false pressure readings.

Oil pressure is decreasing with miles probably because the oil is shearing down and becoming thinner. Fuel dilution in the oil from blow-by might also contribute. Doubt the filter is running in bypass much since it doesn't look that bad as far as debris loading. Thanks for posting the photos.

Couple of ugly looking pleat areas, including seam pleat area. Seen better pleat uniformity on the ecores than this one. For 3800 miles, not the best anecdote, though cold temps, condensation and moisture likely a factor too. I'm wondering if ACDelco with change the PF 48e as they have done with the PF64 posted here, an ecore with metal endcaps.

Best I can say, filter looks like it survived. Thanks for c&p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back