VO-40 cut open

I_4

Valvoline VO-40 cut open. Toyota 1NZ-FE 1.5 Yaris. 3k oil change. Torn pleat at base. Sent an oil sample to Blackstone, awaiting results, expecting it to be normal. Unknown oil type or viscosity. First change for a relative. What would cause this, pressure spike, defective pleat or combination or adverse factors ? I have cut open a few filters before, and not seen this. I wanted to cut this open because it was a new car to relative. 121k on unit.

Attachments

• VO-40 IMG_3481.jpg
    VO-40 IMG_3481.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 197
  • BO-40 IMG_3482.jpg
    BO-40 IMG_3482.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 196
Thanks for the C&P. Was that pleat spaced like that when you removed the internals from the can?

F-ugly for sure! The car was a Toyota so it will run forever right, regardless of filter used?????? ;-)

Yes, the pleat was spaced as the pic shows. I was careful not to disturb the spacing of the pleats. It was torn at the steel plates. I replaced it with a genuine Toyota filter, (90915-yzzf2) which the o-ring seat was pre-lubed. With I would guess o-ring lube. And plastic wrap sealed. Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 went in. The engine is smooth and runs well. Perhaps a tad quieter with the Magnatec, but that is subjective.

I assume filter was from a quick change oil place?

I do not know for sure, but that could be an accurate assumption. Valvoline quick change place maybe? This was my first oil change for this car.

Wide pleat spacing is the main cause of media tearing. Some filter makers are trying to "cheap out" by reducing media area, which usually results in wide pleat spacing.

Back