PetroCanada Duron SHP 10w30 CK4

Status
Not open for further replies.
picked up a case of this today (4x4L jugs) from a local distributor. All in it was 72.29. After a bunch of research and back and forth I decided on this for my Ram 3500's first oil change... which is still a few months away.

I had debated using a 40 weight oil but again after some research my Cummins is not bound by any weight restriction. If it is CES 20081 or 20086 it is good to go. It does not say it is SN rated but suitable for use. I have no plans at this point to run it in a gasser though. I see the debate people are having with the CK4 but until I see UOA showing it is inferior to CJ4 I will use it.

I looked at the Motomaster 10w30 semi synthetic (apparently made by Citgo this go around), Rotella T5 and Co-op conventional 10w30. While the Motomaster was the cheapest when caught on sale, its cold flow properties lagged behind the T5 and Duron. Now the price difference between the Motomaster and the Duron was not great, approx. a 50 cent a liter cheaper for the MM. T5 on sale would have been another 50 -60 cents a liter more than the Duron.

I am thinking another few oil changes to get the engine broken in and then I would like to start some UOA. Will see what this combo is capable of.

just a FYI post for those looking at the same oil options.

If I recall on my truck engine there is a Cummins soec called ces 20078 with this oil you can extend oil change interval by 5000 or 10000 kilometer , Cummins is with Valvoline tho . The oil can even have the Cummins logo. If you haven't used the oil return it and use what Cummins want I was thinking it was a commercial sham , but this is Cummins .they did a similar deal with Eaton (transmission) we ended up with a special 16 speed automatic veared exactly like Cummins and Eaton wanted .(dam it goes good , thau the rpm range take some time to get used to.)

Thanks for the links and info guys. This 10w30 is on the approved CES 20086 list so I have no worries about its abilities. PC claims that this oil is capable of extended drains as well. But until I have this motor broken in and some UOA to see where it is trending, I will wait on that.

It seems that Cummins newest partnership is with Valvoline. In my diesel supplement, Ram is with Shell and recommend Rimula/Rotella but state that anything meeting CES 20081 is fine.

Does your truck have a block heater? On the Duramax, the cord is tied up under the hood on the passenger side underneath the air cleaner duct. The reason I'm asking, 10Wx in Saskatchewan is inadequate for your -35C and colder winter days. In addition, engine oils tend, and are allowed to slip a W grade as they age in use. For that reason, target an oil change with 5W40, 0W40 or 5W30 as late into December as practicable for the best protection from very cold starts.
I'm in the change the factory fill early camp, an oil change in the next month or two will use up most of that 4X4L box. I found with 6.7s, if you park them pointing slightly up-hill, drain hot and let them drip out, they take about 13L of oil.

Thanks for the oil change tip.

I use the block heater, anything around that -15 C or more and it is plugged in. When I bought the truck they already had the cord routed down behind the front bumper, apparently ready to use. The 10w numbers of the Duron were not that bad. its pour point alone is only 2-3 degrees behind 5w full synthetics. Plenty of guys run 15w40 conventional around here year round. Key is good batteries and block heater.

I think my big concern for the oil is fuel dilution, but admittedly that is not a huge one. I run lots of highway and lots of pulling so my forced regens will be minimized. After reading many posts on this site about running a 30weight in a diesel I now have no reservations about it. Many Heavy trucks, equipment and other LD diesels run a 30 without issue. I think if it meets the spec Cummins wants it is good.

I used to change my oil early on a new vehicle but I will run this one out to its max as per the OLM.

Block heater is ideal, for sure, but an oil pan warmer is even better in terms of having good oil flow on a cold day. When I lived in Alaska, we used block heater, oil pan warmer, and battery warmer. I still use oil pan warmers here in Iowa during the winter.

Ah yes an oil pan heater! That is one thing I would like to use for all my vehicles. Nothing like heating an engine from the bottom up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back