Petro-Canada Oil Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here' some links, click on "more info" for specs, am curious as this most likely will be the oil my car uses for 100K or 5 years.
33.gif

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/588.aspx

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/594.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petro-Canada

Zoomie. Welcome to this great site. Petro Canada makes a great
product. I'll put their oil's against any oil out there for cold
flow properties. Check out the pour point of their Supreme 5w30
at -42 C and the cold cranking viscosity of 4710 cp @ -30 C.
Petro Canada is not mentioned much here because it's not available in the US and Canada in stores. You have to go to
a Petro Canada Home Heating outlet or gas station. I've always
get the Synthetic oil with my Petro Points and use it in one
of my cars.

Last edited:
Zoomie welcome.

Historically, I believe it was Petro Canada that was involved in the development of the Group III synthetic oil.

Having said that, I find their products to be uncompetively priced
for what they are. Cdn Tire house brand ( Shell ) tends to be better.

Esso also has an interesting range of Canadian made products.

Originally Posted By: 2KBMW
Zoomie. Welcome to this great site. Petro Canada makes a great
product. I'll put their oil's against any oil out there for cold
flow properties. Check out the pour point of their Supreme 5w30
at -42 C and the cold cranking viscosity of 4710 cp @ -30 C.
Petro Canada is not mentioned much here because it's not available in the US and Canada in stores. You have to go to
a Petro Canada Home Heating outlet or gas station. I've always
get the Synthetic oil with my Petro Points and use it in one
of my cars.

This sums it up perfectly.

If you look on PC's site, you will see that their 'conventional' base oil is actually a group II/III mix, so the oil is technically a blend. The cold-cranking values for ther convetional oils are the lowest of ANY conventional out there just try and find one lower!

I use this oil in my 2002 Cavalier, and I will tell you that I have less consumption with this oil than any other oil by a noticeable margin. I go to an 'Oil Changers' quick lube for service, and have no problems.

I received an email response from Petro-Canada.

Q: Are Petro-Canada's SUPREME SYNTHETIC oils full synthetic or a blend?

A: Petro Canada carries both a mineral oil (MOSP) and full synthetic (MOSYN) passenger car motor oil. Synthetic blends where discontinued in 2008

Next I'll ask if their base stock is Group III, IV or V.

Don't bother. Petro-Can is VERY well know for making some of the best group III base oils in the business. They were one of the 'pioneers' of ultra high quality Group III's, the other one being SOPUS. All their synthetics are group III oils.

After reading what synthetic is on wikipedia and googling Castrol contrversey, Im at the saturation point and need to digest/defrag it all. The one question I dont think I can figure out is Group III (mineral based) vs Group IV (PAO)& Group V (Synthetic ester).

For what Im intending on doing; adding a quart of synthetic to 3 quarts of Petro-Can's dino for two oil changes this winter, If I were to use Petro-Canada's (PC) Synthetic, which since its Group III thus only a synthetic blend containing a maximum of 30% synthetic(?), I think I'd be better off using a quart of some other brands Group IV/V.

If I were to use PC's synthetic it would be straight (i.e. unmixed), and since I have a deal with GM that their dealerships do my oil changes for free and use PC's dino 5W-20, Ill have them throw in a quart of something Ill provide.

I think
21.gif

I am interested in using the Petro Canada SUPREME SYNTHETIC 0W30.

For sure the price is right as I called a nearby distributor and he quoted me $5.72 plus tax per litre bottle (sold as a case of 12).

Has anyone seen a VOA/UOA of this particular 0W30?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

And where would I find those? Only at Esso stations?

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

They are sold in other places. You can buy XD-3 0w40 at WalMart, and their basic Esso Supreme 5,10w30 and 5w20 IIRC at WalMart also.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

They are sold in other places. You can buy XD-3 0w40 at WalMart, and their basic Esso Supreme 5,10w30 and 5w20 IIRC at WalMart also.

Our shop carries XD3 10w30 (I just got rid of the last of it) and XD3 15w40. The other Esso oils, Esso Extra and Esso (Protec) Ultra have been discontinued and replaced with Mobil Super 1000.

Having said that, I find their products to be uncompetively priced
for what they are.

CATERHAM I thought this also but I have placed an order for their 0W30 and the litre price is $5.72. That's competitive don't you think?

Last edited:
$5.72 for 0W-30 is not bad, which begs the question, why is their 0W-20 $7.58?

The PC 0W30 is a GRP 3 oil. Any chance the 0W-20 could be something different?
21.gif

Maybe, PP 0W-20 is a GP III as well but it has a Pour Point of 'only' -48C although it is lighter oil at all temps down to just beyond -35C where PC becomes lighter, relatively speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back