Pep Boys incompetence

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, see if anyone can top this one:

So, I just returned from my local Pep Boys to use up the last of my calendar coupons before they expire 12/31/2005.

I start off by handing the cashier the coupon for Rain-X wiper fluid for $1.99, and she asks, "Do you have any more coupons?". I tell her that yes, I have quite a few more, to which she responds, "Oh, sorry, you can't use more than one at a time, since it says on the coupon: 'Not to be combined with any other offers'". She then proceeds to
tell me that if I'd like, she can ring up each item separately, and I can then use more than one coupon.
mad.gif
After pointing out how absurd this is, she calls a manger over, who promptly tells her to just accept all of my coupons.

Then I hand her the Mobil 1 coupon. She scrutinizes the coupon, then looks at the cases of oil in my cart, then says, rather tentatively, "Is this full synthetic oil?". I tell her that, yes, M1 is a full synthetic. To which she replies, "Oh... you can't use this coupon, because this coupon is for Mobil 1 synthetic oil, not the *full* synthetic oil".
pat.gif
Another argument later, and she shrugs it off and continues.

Finally, I hand her one of the coupons for the free Eagle 1 Wax-n-Dry. The manager watches her and asks why she's changing the price to $0. The cashier shows him the coupon, and the manager then turns to me and starts yelling at *me*, saying that "OK, we'll take it this time, but next time, you need to look at the *month* of the coupon!". He then pulls out the 2006 calendar and starts to look for the coupon to show me.

After explaining to him that the coupon was from *last year's* calendar, and that the coupon could be used any time before 12/31/2005, his eyes sort of glazed over, and he just walked away.

Sheesh...
mad.gif

Coupons and rebates are loss leaders in the hope you buy something else at full retail. While you are right and justified, they hate those who only come in and get what is on the coupons only.

Hootbro

It's not about oil but I bought something at Pep Boys and the girl scanned the items and totaled them up. It came out to $11.06. I handed the girl a twenty, a one, a nickle and a penny. She, had a puzzled look on her face, handed back the one, the nickle and penny and said, 'the twenty will cover it'. She then looked up at the display to see what change to give me, got it out of the drawer, bundled it together and in one motion, handed it to me in a lump. Without the display, I don't think she would be capable of figuring out the correct change.... far too dificult.

It is true that they usually lose money on the coupons or break even at best. The reality is coupons exist to get you in the store to buy other items that are not on sale or on the flip side, so they can get their foot in YOUR door (in house services).

Regardless, the company I sub-contract for runs ridiculous coupons all the time (certain whole house services that I *personally* can end up losing money on - may be time to look for another outfit) yet I always give service with a smile. It just goes with the territory. Pepboys should have done the same.

That girl has probably been nailed for letting an invalid coupon slide before and now she's overcompensating. That or she's just dumb. Who knows?

They just sell stuff. Who cars what it is. The cash register is set up to help people that are challanged by nickles and dimes. Coupons are good for them if you buy other stuff and good for you if you need what's offered. Beyond the coupons that have some great offers, like 4 quarts of Penzoil packaged with Slick 50. How can one pass up such a deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back