Good deal ?? GM Dealer FULL synthetic oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
This HAS to be one of those "To good to be true" deals ???

I'm kinda hesitant since I was going to use my "Free stash" of Mobil 1 10W-40 on it for the HIGH TEMP Oklahoma summer months and it has 250K miles on it now

Local GMC dealer sent me a coupon in mail "$14.95 oil change"

My Suburban is due for a oil change and STRONGLY thinking about this deal !!!

Service advisor told me for my 2001 Suburban 5.3 I will get:

6 QTS of 5W-30 AC/DELCO dexos FUll Synthetic (Service advisor says its supplied by Mobil) ???
Full inspection
top off all fluids

$17 total after tax/shop supplies

But here's the "curve ball" on coupon it says "Synthetic blend", But service advisor manager said they now only carry AC/DELCO DEXOS full synthetic(Supplied by Mobil) and offer is still valid !!!

What do you guys think ??. Should I pull the trigger and do this deal ??

Dave

I'd do it. Not many times you can get a deal like that. While you could use oil that you have already, $17 bucks for synthetic oil, filter, and fluid top off is hard to pass up. Plus, you don't have to lay on the ground and do it yourself. It's getting hot enough that I'd jump on a deal like that!

Good deal for sure, but there's no reason to go out and buy an oil change when you already have a stash. (Just a thought.)

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Good deal for sure, but there's no reason to go out and buy an oil change when you already have a stash. (Just a thought.)

True, but 75% of my fleet uses 10W-30 oil, So I can save the "Mobil 1 stash" for another OCI and this year I plan on purchasing a 5.3 Silverado/Sierra for my business so I can save it for that also

Just not to sure on running 5W30 in summer heat with 250K on clock and piston slap

Dave

Originally Posted By: JustN89
I'd do it. Not many times you can get a deal like that. While you could use oil that you have already, $17 bucks for synthetic oil, filter, and fluid top off is hard to pass up. Plus, you don't have to lay on the ground and do it yourself. It's getting hot enough that I'd jump on a deal like that!

The guy who works for me changes oil in my fleet of cars, So I never have to worry about laying on the ground lol and I told the dealer if I do go with the oil changed im keeping the Mobil 1 filter on it. No e-core is EVER going on ANY of my GM vehicles ever again !!!

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Great deal unless they break your car.

Then i'll be expecting a new Yukon XL or Suburban in my driveway HA !!!

Besides this dealer has VERY good reviews on google and is family owned for like 50 years

They are fishing for more work!
I don't see any mention of an oil filter?
Don't let them touch your air filter or battery as their testing can cause more damage than good. I would go for it but I'll bet you will get a little bit of attitude if you refuse any additional work.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
They are fishing for more work!
I don't see any mention of an oil filter?
Don't let them touch your air filter or battery as their testing can cause more damage than good. I would go for it but I'll bet you will get a little bit of attitude if you refuse any additional work.

BINGO !! That crossed my mind since I worked at a GM dealer few years ago and learned some of the games they play. If I go with the deal, I will decline ANY extra service and will ask the guy to let me sign paperwork BEFORE they touch my SUV

And I didnt mention oil filter cause I don't want any E-core sh*t on my vehicle. The advisor said it is included with the special

Dave

Good deal, but that "full inspection" is the double edged sword.

Great if they catch an actual problem that needs attention (esp on a vehicle of that age and mileage). Annoying as heck if they find a "problem" that really isn't and use scare tactics to get you to have them fix it right then and there.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
It’s a great deal but it is likely a loss leader for the dealership.

I agree with this, they will do a "free inspection" and try to come up with a few hundred bucks worth of other things to do to make the visit worthwhile for them.
Just be prepared to say NO!

For some reason I will never understand, my wife went for an oil change at a service center that was attached to a large car wash not far from our house (since torn down) some time ago. They told her she had over $1000 worth of brake work that had to be done RIGHT AWAY. She told them that she was going to get another estimate and was warned that it wasn't going to be their fault if she crashed and killed our little daughter (3-4 years old) on the way to the other shop.
She went to the dealer and they said she needed new front pads, plus it would be hard to think of ways to spend $1000 on the brakes for that car!

Ya guys i'm NO sucker i know the "dealer up sale games" lol

In the past when its some CRAZY amount of work I was quoted and I know my vehicle doesn't need I tell them I have to wait until payday and to make an appointment for next week" or the famous "I'll have to run it by my wife first"

Once years ago at a Sears auto I took in my old Silverado in for a alignment and they told me it needs over $1000 in parts labor, Which I knew it didn't.

I laughed and told them to give me my keys back NOW

"Mama didnt raise no fool"

Dave

Sounds like the marketing people and the service/parts departments don't communicate. Happens with us a lot. They sent out a bunch of coupons saying we would put on "wiper inserts" when not only do we not stock them, but Ford does not offer them.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Sounds like the marketing people and the service/parts departments don't communicate. Happens with us a lot. They sent out a bunch of coupons saying we would put on "wiper inserts" when not only do we not stock them, but Ford does not offer them.

Ya the coupon came from some "Connecticut" address lol

Dave

Originally Posted By: GMguy84

Dave

Is this dealership part of a large group? That’s the trend now and these groups are going to get bigger.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: GMguy84

Dave

Is this dealership part of a large group? That’s the trend now and these groups are going to get bigger.

Nope it's family owned and has VERY good reviews on google

It's Ferguson GMC in Norman, OK

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Do all oil changes yourself !!!!

The guy who works for me does them lol

Has been for 15 years and I never had a problem
smile.gif

Dave

Last edited:
For that kind of coin, I'd let them do it.
I could barely do this more cheaply myself.
Of course there will be some upsell attempts and the dealer's service manager is also hoping that you'll be back for some work that has a little margin to it, but you can always just say no.
Thing is, what's your time worth?
You already have a guy who will change your oil while you work at your desk.
You'll spend time driving to this dealer and then spend time waiting for the job to get done.
Of course, you could always send your hired hand over there with the vehicle when he isn't busy and give the shop a credit card number over the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back