Dealership oil recommendation switcheroo

Just 5 months ago I thought my Hyundai dealership was moving out of the dark ages. Here is their oil change recommendation of 7,500 to 10,000 miles. Now it is promoting 3,000 mile or 3 month oil changes on their coupon. That coupon is the price of the recommended 3,750 mile oil change listed at MyHyundai for my 2017 Elantra at that dealership. Then they break down oil choices into conventional, semi-synthetic, and synthetic. I only had one oil change at my dealership. The service advisor refused to tell me what oil was going to be used. Fortunately, I can change my own oil for less then $20 with synthetic oil and OEM filter. I want to be able to trust the dealership, but this flip-flopping is not helping.
Suntrup Service Oil Change.jpgScreenshot from 2021-07-17 21-13-03.jpgScreenshot from 2021-07-17 21-33-35.jpg

Aren't there more than one Hyundai dealership around ?
Yes. Not sure if they are better. None are close. I think the bread and butter is oil changes. That is why I was surprised when the website showed extended oil changes. I discharged my battery before I changed my oil. Tested battery at dealership and it tested good. Next thing the service advisor said was "do you need an oil change?". They must say that in their sleep.

Another one of "those threads" Yawn......,etc.,

Must be caught up on the chores this weekend.

I’m confused about what is being asked here. The vehicle in question has a factory recommended OCI and oil weight/spec that should be used to maintain warranty coverage. Abiding those, with or without a coupon, is the best approach to preventative maintenance for the engine.

Any statements or ‘recommendations’ found in dealership fliers and/or their service coupons should be disregarded or outright ignored when they conflict with the manufacturer’s specs and recommendations for the engine in question.

If anyone has any doubts about the level of BS that was employed to author those coupons, I would direct them to the first pic’s 1st paragraph; last sentence:

62D8E195-BEA7-4EB9-97D7-E6F276C45DFD.jpeg

That sounds like it was written by a new hire fresh out of community college and suffering through an intense hangover exacerbated by the living hell that is opioid withdrawals.

Believe nothing in a document that is adjacent to that drivel! Every other sentence in the coupon is tainted just by association to that crap!

el Nuke, Thanks! The question is how can I trust the dealership? You just affirmed I can't. To make matters worse MyHyundai removed all the service records I uploaded after changing my oil. It just shows when I need to go to the dealership for my next oil change.

I wouldn't give this a 2nd thought at this point. What does the Hyundai owner's manual say for oil changes or does the vehicle have a built-in oil change indicator or monitor ? Follow that, NOT what the dealer's marketing department puts on flyers. It's not like you're obligated to do 3000 mile oil changes in order to get that $36.95 price either. It clearly says "recommended".

I wouldn't give this a 2nd thought at this point. What does the Hyundai owner's manual say for oil changes or does the vehicle have a built-in oil change indicator or monitor ? Follow that, NOT what the dealer's marketing department puts on flyers. It's not like you're obligated to do 3000 mile oil changes in order to get that $36.95 price either. It clearly says "recommended".
Owner's manual says 3,750 miles or 6 months which have done. MyHyundai has the owner's manual as the guide for when maintenance is due. No OLM on these. I was not going to reduce oil change lower than that. I was thinking since I am using Pennzoil Platinum or PUP every 5,000 miles would be OK.

Yeah Wemay, that was what I was thinking or just preying on people that do not know better.

Owner's manual says 3,750 miles or 6 months which have done. I was thinking since I am using Pennzoil Platinum or PUP every 5,000 miles would be OK.
Is the confusion because the dealer refers to 7500-10000 mile oil changes ? That could apply to other Hyundai models.

If the owner's manual says 3750 and does NOT mention synthetic or synthetic-blended oil, it presumes people are using conventional oil. Can you go 5000 miles on a blend or full synthetic ? I don't think there's any harm at all...

My hyundai dealer does oil change with 5w30 semi syn, and they turn off my OLM, and put a 3000 mile sticker on the window.

Ford actually puts a 5000 mile oil change sticker on my car when I use the quick lane.

For 29 or 39 bucks I'll do the hyundai at 3750 and the ford at 5000.

Is the confusion because the dealer refers to 7500-10000 mile oil changes ? That could apply to other Hyundai models.

If the owner's manual says 3750 and does NOT mention synthetic or synthetic-blended oil, it presumes people are using conventional oil. Can you go 5000 miles on a blend or full synthetic ? I don't think there's any harm at all...
When they posted the 7,500-10,000 mile oil changes two things occurred. They started offering the free 7,500 mile oil change with Hyundai Complementary Maintenance for the first 3 years/36,000 miles. For my model in 2021 they recommended 0w-20 and made the oil changes longer. My model per owners manual can use SM 5w-20, 5w-30, or 10w-30 and still meet warranty requirements. So I am thinking the back pedaling on the dealership website is they realized people were going to change oil less and visit dealership less. Now it is dumbed down for the lowest hanging fruit.

I know you are right about extending oil changes with synthetic oil. There was a fear aspect of owning a Hyundai and having a warranty denial. My year does not seem to have internal engine issues (knock on wood).

Back