People so unreasonable sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by maxdustington
She almost instantly tried to take advantage of the situation which should tell all the virtue signalers posting in this thread that OP made the right call.
She tried to increase the asking price by 100% after it was sold and you guys are treating her like she is Mother Theresa.

Would you be upset at being deceived?

Would you immediately resort to extortion like she did? If I got my asking price first day selling something, I'd be delighted regardless of the situation. That she immediately tried to shake the guy down for $2,500 says a lot more about her than it does about the OP or any of us.

Originally Posted by dishdude
The customer felt like she was lied to since she wasn't told the entire story upfront. I think anyone here would have been upset had this occurred to them - even with the outcome of being paid full asking for the car. Even she was made whole and financially it couldn't have worked out better for her, there's still a dishonest factor here.

That's my take on this as well. The vehicle's owner should have been made aware of the situation and given a choice on how she wanted to handle it. Simple as that.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Isn't this the way the world works now, the guy that told the truth got the short end of the stick, unbelievable.

I believe you are referring to the other employee who told the lady the full story.
Yes, the original deception cost this person his job as well.
Everyone loses... It ain't the crime it's the coverup.

Again, I have to wonder how others would respond if they felt deceived.
And unless the OP wanted the car before the service, he could have bought it then. So there was deception.

The OP made a decision on how to handle the situation; I have no idea if he would like a partial do-over.
If so, a 2 minute call to the lady is an option. Offer a free oil change with oil included...

Isn't this the way the world works now, the guy that told the truth got the short end of the stick, unbelievable.

I believe you are referring to the other employee who told the lady the full story.
Yes, the original deception cost this person his job as well.
Everyone loses... It ain't the crime it's the coverup.

Again, I have to wonder how others would respond if they felt deceived.
And unless the OP wanted the car before the service, he could have bought it then. So there was deception.

The OP made a decision on how to handle the situation; I have no idea if he would like a partial do-over.
If so, a 2 minute call to the lady is an option. Offer a free oil change with oil included...

I can about guarantee you that half the posters here that said they were ok with it would come unglued if it happen to them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IronMaidenRules

Would you immediately resort to extortion like she did? If I got my asking price first day selling something, I'd be delighted regardless of the situation. That she immediately tried to shake the guy down for $2,500 says a lot more about her than it does about the OP or any of us.

extortion:
the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats.

She was the victim here. Neither you or I know how she felt upon finding she had been deceived.
I know how I would have felt and it ain't good.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by ToadU
This car will be $500 down and $75 to $95 per week.

A brand new 2020 Corolla is less than that. No wonder used car dealers get such a bad rep.

If you have cash money or credit. If you ain't got that.......then you got no 2020 Corolla. How you gettin' to work? Kids? School? Drs appointments?? Public transport isn't 24-7 here. Doesn't go everywhere.

That price is for the car before rental wheels, rims, tires, stereos and custom add ons or lifts if you want them. I have people rent rims and a lift for truck the rims / tires lift stereo payment is larger than the vehicle rental to own. Their choice.

The OP was dishonest and shady, the customer is upset about that kind of behavior but I don't see how the she had any recourse besides not paying for a defective oil change.

The lady accepted your money and handed over the title. She had no reason to get upset because the car now belonged to you. I also would've made her leave. You handled it perfectly...

Originally Posted by maxdustington
She almost instantly tried to take advantage of the situation which should tell all the virtue signalers posting in this thread that OP made the right call.
She tried to increase the asking price by 100% after it was sold and you guys are treating her like she is Mother Theresa.

Would you be upset at being deceived?

+1
IMO the OP handled this the right way, and let's not forget about the fact that he is out the $2500. Did the woman need to know about what happened having just got her price for the car? No.This is a prime example of the old adage "what you don't know won't hurt you". The woman was not out one nickel, in fact, she probably got more for the car then she would have gotten had she sold the car on the market.

Last edited:

Yep, that's another thing that's wrong with the OP's worldview.

Originally Posted by Gebo
GEESH...Some of you appear to lack compassion. Hard core..
28.gif

What did he do wrong?
What will be your reason for firing him. Hey, BIll, you are fired for telling the truth to that lady. Hmmm....

Why do I need a reason? I'm the owner. Florida is a right-to-work State. We are non-union. Honestly he [censored] me off. The paperwork on file for unemployment is nicely written and states he was not in his assigned job area and not working at his assigned task. Insubordination. When counseled after the incident had a poor attitude and was rude to his superior. He has a chronic tardiness problem and already had a verbal and had been sent home one day for being late.

At the end of the day I don't need a reason but had 6 or 7. Will set an example for employees to stay on task.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

Sometimes you have to think about repercussions before giving out information that wasn't even asked for. It's just the same as telling someone they're fat. This kid reminds me of a guy I worked with at Goodyear, always sticking his foot in his mouth.

Your right, the kid should of kept his mouth shut because the OP should of been the one to tell her, sorry I got confused.

He might have assumed the OP wasn't being dishonest and had already told her.

extortion:
the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats.

She was the victim here. Neither you or I know how she felt upon finding she had been deceived.
I know how I would have felt and it ain't good.

Yes, I know the definition of the word. That's exactly what she did!

I quote: "Now she wants $5,000 and is threatening me with posting online what happened."

EXTORTION. I'm glad to see we agree!

Originally Posted by 02SE
I'd say you handled everything just fine.

Okay, when it's not almost 2:30 in the morning, and I should be asleep...

I'll say from an ethical standpoint, telling the lady what happened, and asking how she would like to proceed would be the best course of action. Having been a business owner, and dealing with the occasional people who are never happy, I understand why the OP did what he did. From a legal standpoint, he's fine. OTOH, I was taught that honesty is the best policy.

I think there's blame on both sides here. The customer is being unreasonable seeing as how she got full price for a car she wanted to sell anyway. If that was me, I'd rather sign the car over to the OP, take the cash, and not have to deal with explaining why I'm selling a car with a replacement engine or having the next owner give me grief when they find out that the car has a replacement engine and then trying to tie any other defects to that replacement.

But...

The OP was being a bit deceitful in the way this transaction was approached. I'm not in the business so there may be more involved than I realize, but if I was in the customer's position, I'd rather have the OP say "we have a problem with the car and since you're selling anyway, I'd like to make it right by buying the car and giving you your asking price" vs having the offer go down the way it did. She's overreacting, but she was misled and I can sort of understand her anger. If I were a judge and this came to me as a case, she'd still lose, but there aren't clean hands on the OP's side.

Originally Posted by dlundblad

Sadly, she's going to make your shop famous.

As long as you stick to the moral high ground this isn't such a bad thing. Free publicity on Yelp (or similar) with an opportunity to counter her claims and show that you are a stand up guy for offering full asking price on the spot could be perceived by many as very favorable. Just don't let her drag you down to her level...

If I were ToadU, I'd go see the lady, apologize and ask for her forgiveness. At this point in time, that is the right thing to do.

Y'all make some great points. Mistakes happen that we sometimes can't control. Deception is always under our control and it is not ever a mistake. It is deliberate.

And yes, I plead guilty.

If I were ToadU, I'd go see the lady, apologize and ask for her forgiveness. At this point in time, that is the right thing to do.

Y'all make some great points. Mistakes happen that we sometimes can't control. Deception is always under our control and it is not ever a mistake. It is deliberate.

And yes, I plead guilty.

So you skipped the part where they lady tried to extort OP for $5,000 too.

Originally Posted by atikovi
This car will be $500 down and $75 to $95 per week.

A brand new 2020 Corolla is less than that. No wonder used car dealers get such a bad rep.

People going to a buy here pay here lot usually do not have good credit. A base model 2020 Corolla, using Toyota's own calculator with 0 down, and a credit score of 610-629, comes up with a 13.99% interest rate and $424 a month for 72 months.

GEESH...Some of you appear to lack compassion. Hard core..
28.gif

What did he do wrong?
What will be your reason for firing him. Hey, BIll, you are fired for telling the truth to that lady. Hmmm....

Why do I need a reason? I'm the owner. Florida is a right-to-work State. We are non-union. Honestly he [censored] me off. The paperwork on file for unemployment is nicely written and states he was not in his assigned job area and not working at his assigned task. Insubordination. When counseled after the incident had a poor attitude and was rude to his superior. He has a chronic tardiness problem and already had a verbal and had been sent home one day for being late.

At the end of the day I don't need a reason but had 6 or 7. Will set an example for employees to stay on task.

You have answered my question. He wasn't fired for telling the truth. He was fired for not doing his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back