People so unreasonable sometimes...

Joined
Nov 11, 2018
Messages
4,152
Location
Chicagoland
Originally Posted by R1jake
Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
Originally Posted by R1jake
I do have a question for toadu, what's this about following into a gate and being charged to get the car back out of the gate all about?? I don't understand the situation???
https://www.alligator.org/opinion/t...7578472-6b52-11e7-953d-fb7d1c0d65bd.html
Wow!!! Is this seriously what your talking about that you do toadu??? Or is there more to the story? As I said in a earlier post there are 2 sides to every story but if this is seriously the case where the people pull into your lot not knowing there doing anything wrong then being trapped in and having to pay for both cars??? I just wouldn't even know how to respond.
One could argue that if he had "No Trespassing", "Authorized Vehicles only", "Private Property", or some other sign like that on the entrance to his gated lot, it'd probably be in your best interest to heed those warnings. Even if there wasn't, a lot isn't gated for no reason, even if the gates are open.
 
Joined
Dec 4, 2005
Messages
1,775
Location
Kingston
Well as far as how the original incident went down I still don't 100% disagree with how the op handled it because I know how unreasonable people can be, although I think the places I worked at would have went with the truth first.... After reading more about the op and what he does I wouldn't necessarily trust the complete truth was told in the original post. That and the employee who let the cat out of the bag maybe did it because of hate for the owner or something. This roam towing thing is legal but as many others have now said not so much morally right. It's another case of nice guys finish last. Bad people often end up with the most money because they don't have to worry about being proud of being a good person, or having trouble sleeping at night. I couldn't sleep at night if I were him.
 
Joined
Jun 3, 2002
Messages
8,234
Location
MI
Quote
I actually created the industry of "Roam Towing". It didn't exist until I created the concept.
If Toadu created the concept of roam towing as he claims, then he was in business during the 1970's and into the 80's. It was a common practice at the large university in East Lansing, MI at that time until it was challenged in court and they stopped the practice. There would be a dozen or two tow trucks on campus and as soon as a parking violation was issued, the vehicle was immediately towed away. https://casetext.com/case/molony-vierstra-v-msu "An ordinance that uses towing as a routine measure to aid in the enforcement of parking regulations is not in "substantial conformity" with a traffic code that authorizes towing of dangerous, obstructive, and abandoned vehicles." Anyway, these threads are extremely entertaining and it is fun to watch people get worked up over an excellent troll. He caught us hook, line, and sinker.
 
Joined
Sep 26, 2010
Messages
9,105
Location
Houston, TX
//Flame Suit On// For the record, I am not defending the owner of the car and her responses, but I do find it amusing that so many state that it would have been "OK" if this situation happened to them. My gut tells me the actual response by many here would have been quite different to that scenario as well as the others discussed. A vast number of things the OP has stated are the reasons that repair shops, used car dealers, and towing businesses have the reputations they deserve. From the lie by omission regarding the oil change and subsequent purchase of the car to cover his derriere (paint that scenario however you like, but that is what happened--else the car owner would have been told what happened first versus being told by an employee after the fact) to the replacement of parts that are broken during a repair and never disclosed to the owner, to the predatory roam towing and holding a second car hostage then charging a towing fee for both cars—none of these practices are ethical and all of them contribute to the way things are in the world today. Pathetic across the board really...
 
Joined
Apr 15, 2017
Messages
2,772
Location
San Rafael, CA
Let me put it this way. Let's say I'm trying to sell my Suburban. 01, 300k miles. I put a sign in the window that I want $2500 (which is a bit high) and I take it to a local shop for an oil change. The same thing happens. Scenario 1: the owner comes out and says hey I like your truck I'll give you $2500 for it right now. I'd be happy. Scenario 2: hey we blew your engine. I can give you your asking price of $2500 right now or we can install a used/junkyard engine at our cost. I'd be happy too. The fact is the value of the car is the exact same, I can just sell it instantly with no hassle right now for $2500 or wait for the repair and sell it for less than $2500 later. 90% of people on here would be like cool here's the title where's the cash and have a nice day! The other 10% would get angry and start demanding stuff. For a small business owner scenario 1 is more sensible because you don't have to worry about the what ifs. You might not even lose a customer.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Jan 9, 2010
Messages
8,051
Location
Los Gatos, CA
Originally Posted by dogememe
Let me put it this way. Let's say I'm trying to sell my Suburban. 01, 300k miles. I put a sign in the window that I want $2500 (which is a bit high) and I take it to a local shop for an oil change. The same thing happens. Scenario 1: the owner comes out and says hey I like your truck I'll give you $2500 for it right now. I'd be happy. Scenario 2: hey we blew your engine. I can give you your asking price of $2500 right now or we can install a used/junkyard engine at our cost. I'd be happy too. The fact is the value of the car is the exact same, I can just sell it instantly with no hassle right now for $2500 or wait for the repair and sell it for less than $2500 later. 90% of people on here would be like cool here's the title where's the cash and have a nice day! The other 10% would get angry and start demanding stuff. For a small business owner scenario 1 is more sensible because you don't have to worry about the what ifs. You might not even lose a customer.
Good hypothetical... Let's say I was the buyer and didn't tell you. You find out from my employee about the oil issue. Going forward, do you trust whatever comes outta my mouth or do you wonder what is being hid? Would you recommend me to your daughter who is away at college for service? OK... Then your daughter parks her car around 9:00 PM and goes in for dinner to meet friends. The lot is poorly marked and the loghts are dim. She comes out around 11:00 PM in a dark area and her car is gone. All her school books, laptop, etc. Where are we now on the happy factor?
 
Last edited:
Joined
Nov 2, 2019
Messages
356
Location
Independence Ky
Originally Posted by doitmyself
Quote
I actually created the industry of "Roam Towing". It didn't exist until I created the concept.
If Toadu created the concept of roam towing as he claims, then he was in business during the 1970's and into the 80's. It was a common practice at the large university in East Lansing, MI at that time until it was challenged in court and they stopped the practice. There would be a dozen or two tow trucks on campus and as soon as a parking violation was issued, the vehicle was immediately towed away. https://casetext.com/case/molony-vierstra-v-msu "An ordinance that uses towing as a routine measure to aid in the enforcement of parking regulations is not in "substantial conformity" with a traffic code that authorizes towing of dangerous, obstructive, and abandoned vehicles." Anyway, these threads are extremely entertaining and it is fun to watch people get worked up over an excellent troll. He caught us hook, line, and sinker.
No doubt he sure caught us all bigtime.
 
Top