Penzoil 173 for motorcraft 820 applications

The penzoil website lists it as the fit for my 4.0 ford, but it is listed as compatible with s500 but not the 820 specced. The housing is the size of s500.

There is disagreement on forums that these 2 filters are interchangable. Should i trust penzoil on the matter or trash them?

The penzoil website lists it as the fit for my 4.0 ford, but it is listed as compatible with s500 but not the 820 specced. The housing is the size of s500.

There is disagreement on forums that these 2 filters are interchangable. Should i trust penzoil on the matter or trash them?
I don't think the FL820 and the FL500 have the same bypass valve setting ... so technically that wouldn't make them "interchangeable". Some people do use them interchangeably, but they might not think about the bypass setting. If they were totally interchangeable, then why does Ford sell both of them? There would be not need to make both if they are exactly the same.

Yeah that seems to be the consensus, but penzoil themselves is telling me to use the 500 part on the 820 application.

See interchange chart here:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1647335819379.jpg
    FB_IMG_1647335819379.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 26
Here's the thing, obviously the FL500 is not the same application as the FL820S. However, if Pennzoil OF exchange/look up is saying to use the topic filter when vehicle info entered, then I would/could say that implies they will cover it under 'their' OF warranty. And, it would seem PZ has consolidated a couple applications, 500 and 820 in the topic filter. Without more research on PZ site I can't confirm that statement. Who knows what topic filter bypass psi is.

The 820S is the spec Ford OF for the vehicle listed in image. So, if you have room for the topic PZ filter and don't mind the unknowns, then use it. Otherwise, pass.

I wonder if the topic filter is what PZ quick lubes or quick lubes using PZ filters, also use topic filter.

Yes i agree. There is quite a bit of disagreement on switching the 820 with a 500, coming down to concerns about the different bypass psi with different documents from ford showing quite a few specs.

Penzoil calling for the same part for both applications is a notable revelation in the debate about this. it is likely to be close enough for most applications.

As an update on my own situation they are in the rubbish bin now. I will avoid penzoil filters and others who do this for my 4.0 mustang.

The FL500S is going to have a higher bypass rating, they were redesigned around the time the Fram PH10575/AC Delco PF63 filters for the newer GM LS engines (& others) were released.

Back