Pentosin 5w-30 High Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
No where on the bottle or spec sheet does it say "recommended for."

It is an APPROVED oil, and a quality one to boot. You're grasping at straws. It's OK to be wrong. You often are.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
It's easy to stamp, "Recommended for X", on the cans. A full OEM approval from Ferrari or BMW is a different matter.

Pentosin 5W-30 HP is an APPROVED oil, you nitwit.

It carries the following APPROVALS: API SL/CF, A3/B3, A3/B4, 502, 505, LL01, M229.5, GM-LL-B-025

Anyone can stamp a list of recommended for this or that car on their cans. That is in no way illegal, apart from a very slight chance of a class action law suit in the US.

Not sure if it's a typo, but no oil can be both an A3/B3 and A3/B4, as a B4 is a better spec than B3. For the A40 spec it would have to be an Acea A3/B4 or better spec. The RN0700 spec that I like to see for my TDI is more difficult to meet than A40.

Most of the OEM specs in your list apart from the Porsche one are real easy to meet. Almost any oil of the correct viscosity range can meet the VW specs listed by the Nitwit fan, as VW are not fussy when they list oils that are not used by their dealers in Germany.

PS: Just had a look at their 5w30 on the Penta web site: www.pentosin.net and it is completly different in specs and so called approvals. It's an Acea C3 low saps which regardless of what every C3 rated oil company says is not forwards compatible to A3/B4.
The Porsche approval is only an A30, not the A40 listed by Nitwitfan.

Of course an oil can be A3/B3 and A3/B4. If it meets the higher requirements of B4, then obviously it can meet the B3 requirements! And therefor be useful for those drivers who are simply looking for a A3/B3 oil.

Why is RN0700 harder than Porsche A40? Any why are these gasoline engine specs relevant to your TDI?

I'm interested why you think BMW LL01 and VW 502 00 / 505 00 are easy to meet?

I feel like i end up replying to a lot of your comments, however i read a lot on this forum and you consistently share misinformation and derail from the 'educational' nature of this forum so feel i have to step in to correct this. Your issue with ACEA C3 oils is based on a single piece of data on one test, it is not conclusive and does not align with the view of the industry. You say stuff like wear metals doubled. DOubled compared to what. What were the oil drain intervals?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
I feel like i end up replying to a lot of your comments, however i read a lot on this forum and you consistently share misinformation and derail from the 'educational' nature of this forum so feel i have to step in to correct this. Your issue with ACEA C3 oils is based on a single piece of data on one test, it is not conclusive and does not align with the view of the industry. You say stuff like wear metals doubled. Doubled compared to what. What were the oil drain intervals?

It's an easy answer. When you just make up things you can say whatever you want. Understand that the misinformation this poster puts out isn't just restricted to opinions.

He's been asked multiple times by multiple individuals for UOA results he claims to have obtained, yet he's never posted any of it. The take-away from all of it is that everything he posts is a likely a fabrication.

I should have said there is no point listing an oil as both A3/B3 and A3/B4. You might be thinking of the year specific Acea specs, as you can list a 3 spec series with dashes to the last 2 parts of the year concerned. That's format is used by most major brand oil companies for defining Acea specs.

No, I know what I'm thinking about. Lots of oil companies list older specifications, or lesser specifications, particularly inclusive ones. Take a look an any HDEO data sheet. Also, note that a dash and a year for outdated specs are not in accordance with ACEA guidelines.

I sure know about how Acea approvals are obtained, as there was a law suit attempt against a small real bad oil company in the UK for printing A3/B4/C2/C3 and E4 on their cans. It failed cos it turned out the back street
mixer did in fact have all the Acea documentation required.

I don't think you know, or you wouldn't be giving us this rot and derailing this thread with it. ACEA doesn't issue approvals. If I formulate and sell something, it's up to me to test the oil to ACEA standards, if I so choose, and it's up to me to print the label and data sheet claims. It is self-certifying, and the ACEA doesn't collect licensing fees, nor issue approvals. They certainly can do something about inappropriate claims, but that's totally a separate issue here.

If I want to make an A3/B4 oil, I send the ACEA neither an oil sample nor cash.

You might be thinking of the year specific Acea specs, as you can list a 3 spec series with dashes to the last 2 parts of the year concerned. That's format is used by most major brand oil companies for defining Acea specs.

Which "major brand oil companies" do this? Links please?

If you took the time to read and understand the ACEA oil specification document you wouldn't be making such ill-informed statements. In fact, the year suffix is specifically not included in product labelling, as defined by ACEA, who say (my highlighting):

Originally Posted By: ACEA
Where claims are made that oil performance meets the requirements of the ACEA Oil Sequences (e.g. product literature, packaging, labels) they must specify the ACEA Class and Category (see Nomenclature & ACEA Process for definitions).

The YEAR numbers for ACEA Sequence is intended only for industry use and indicates the year of implementation of that severity level for the particular category. A new year number will indicate, for example, that a new test, parameter or limit has been incorporated in the category to meet new / upgraded performance requirements whilst remaining compatible with existing applications. An update must always satisfy the applications of the previous issue. If this is not the case, then a new category is required.

This means that within the industry, the year might be important and used but for sales and marketing purposes, only the class and category letter(s) and number(s) are used, without the year. Hence. "most major brand oil companies" do not include the year suffix, and any that do are usually doing it to show they meet an older version of the spec, which is also forbidden.

I sure know about how Acea approvals are obtained...The clowns at Acea just take the money and sent the certificates. I doubt if they have ever checked a VOA or even looked at the required SAE test reports that are supposed to be filed with the application.

If that is your understanding of the ACEA specifications, then you sure do not know how ACEA approvals [sic] are obtained, because nearly every word of your explanation is wrong. The question is then, where does your belief come from, because it isn't from ACEA and anyone working closely with oils would also not get that wrong, but you have a quite specific and detailed version of what you think happens, which either someone else has told you wrong, or you have simply invented.

Again, let us see what ACEA have to say about it:

Originally Posted By: ACEA
ACEA requires that any claims for Oil performance to meet these Oil Sequences must be based on credible data and controlled tests in accredited test laboratories.
ACEA requires that engine performance testing used to support a claim of compliance with these ACEA Oil Sequences should be generated according to the European Engine Lubricants Quality Management System, EELQMS (available at www.eelqms.eu), but ACEA reserves the right to define alternatives in exceptional cases.
EELQMS addresses product development testing and product performance documentation, and involves the registration of all candidate and reference oil testing and defines the compliance process. Compliance with the ATIEL Code of Practice, which forms part of the EELQMS, is mandatory for any claim to meet the requirements of this issue of the ACEA sequences. Therefore, ACEA requires that claims against the ACEA Oil Sequences can only be made by oil companies or oil distributors who have signed the EELQMS oil marketers’ Letter of Conformance (for details: www.atiel.org).

What this means essentially is that oil companies must use registered test facilities and the running of the tests must be registered, along with their results. Also, to make an ACEA claim, the oil seller must be signed up to the ATIEL code of practice. Note, there is no "money", no "certificates", no "SAE reports" and no "application".

You're just guessing.

There are only 3 main refiners in the western EU, BP in the UK, Fuchs in Germany and some French oil dump.

Another gem.

Which BP refinery is that then, in the UK?
And what about the other German refineries? Gelsenkirchen, Bayernoil, Lingen, Karlsruhe, Schwedt...
And how about that Castellón in Spain?
And where is CEPSA? Repsol? Total? Shell? Nynas? API? ENI? Statoil? Galp? ExxonMobil?
And since when did Fuchs start refining?

Originally Posted By: weasley
Which "major brand oil companies" do this? Links please?

Agreed. I don't "mind it" myself. If an oil company wants to claim an old ACEA specification and does so explicitly, that's fine by me. But, it is against the ACEA rules. The only one that comes to mind that has done it is Royal Purple, which isn't a major, of course.

Originally Posted By: weasley
There are only 3 main refiners in the western EU, BP in the UK, Fuchs in Germany and some French oil dump.

Another gem.

Which BP refinery is that then, in the UK?
And what about the other German refineries? Gelsenkirchen, Bayernoil, Lingen, Karlsruhe, Schwedt...
And how about that Castellón in Spain?
And where is CEPSA? Repsol? Total? Shell? Nynas? API? ENI? Statoil? Galp? ExxonMobil?
And since when did Fuchs start refining?

Do not forget OMV in Vienna that cooks oil for Castrol, XOM has one in Finland and one in France. Numerous in Central Europe, Sellenia (Petronas) in italy etc, etc.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Do not forget OMV in Vienna that cooks oil for Castrol, XOM has one in Finland and one in France. Numerous in Central Europe, Sellenia (Petronas) in italy etc, etc.

Where did you read this about OMV?

OMV got bought by Lukoil in 2013.

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Where did you read this about OMV?

OMV got bought by Lukoil in 2013.

It was some time ago, if not in Auto Bild, before Lukoil bought them.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Not sure if it's a typo, but no oil can be both an A3/B3 and A3/B4, as a B4 is a better spec than B3. For the A40 spec it would have to be an Acea A3/B4 or better spec.

Sure you can. A3/B3 and A3/B4 are not mutually exclusive. A3/B4 is certainly the more rigorous specification, but if an oil passes A3/B4, it already passes A3/B4. It's just like a GF-5 oil is already SN, but an SN oil doesn't have to be GF-5.

Lots of majors list A3/B3 A3/B4 on the same label. Also note that ACEA specifications aren't formal approvals; oil companies are self-certifying.

I should have said there is no point listing an oil as both A3/B3 and A3/B4. You might be thinking of the year specific Acea specs, as you can list a 3 spec series with dashes to the last 2 parts of the year concerned. That's format is used by most major brand oil companies for defining Acea specs.

I sure know about how Acea approvals are obtained, as there was a law suit attempt against a small real bad oil company in the UK for printing A3/B4/C2/C3 and E4 on their cans. It failed cos it turned out the back street
mixer did in fact have all the Acea documentation required.
I was very surprised cos the ash requirements for A3/B4, C2 &3 and E4 are all different, so an oil can't be low, medium and high ash at the same time. The clowns at Acea just take the money and sent the certificates. I doubt if they have ever checked a VOA or even looked at the required SAE test reports that are supposed to be filed with the application.

Castrol Edge

Last edited:
so the local AZ has a lot of this on sale for $2 a qt

I tempted to buy a dozen bottles , any reason not to ?

Any HTHS or NOACK info out there on this oil ?

Originally Posted By: cnatra

so the local AZ has a lot of this on sale for $2 a qt

I tempted to buy a dozen bottles , any reason not to ?

Any HTHS or NOACK info out there on this oil ?

http://pentosin.net/specsheets/Pento_High_Performance_5W-30.pdf I don't think you can go wrong at $2 qt. I bought a lot of it. NOACK has to be below 10% and HTHS above 3.5 to meet 229.5, although PDS doesn't say specifically the exact figures. Buy it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back