Pennzoil Yellow Bottle Not What It Used To Be ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: gallydif
^ why would you guys choose ms5k over pyb?

I don't have to worry about sludge and varnish with MS5K.
banana2.gif

So you worry with pyb?

They are all good oils.I'd use either,but PYB has some great specs for a plain jane oil,and probably has higher detergency.SOPUS makes a solid product top to bottom.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Yeah, sure - I build engines too. But oils have changed a great deal since I started out doing that ... So it pays to ask questions just in case some new info comes to light
smile.gif

So PYB was supposed to be getting something like a third of it's mix from GTL overstock just a few months back ... But, maybe SOPUS has now streamlined their production process and the GTL is going where it was originally targeted and the PYB is now back to plane jane base chemistry, if anyone knows?

NOAK is a good indicator of possible inclusion of synthetics in the blend (high temp resistance). If the NOAK is going up, the percentage of synthetics is likely going down ...
frown.gif

NOACK is a good indication of synthetic basestock content as are MRV and CCV.
SOPUS may be using GTL GrpIII in many of its products not labeled as synthetic simply because this basestock is probably really cheap given that the cost of the feedstock is zero.
PYB does have a nice add pack and I'd have no problem using it, but I'd use Mobil Super as well. One would work as well as the other.

Dermapaint- you forget the glorious golden yellow bottles
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
There's more to a good oil than just NOACK. I'd use PYB over Mobil 5000 any day of the week.
Why? I have not seen anything that would suggest MS5K is in anyway inferior to PYB. What have you seen?

I didn't say it was inferior, I said there's more to good oil than just NOACK, and that I'd use PYB over Mobil 5000 any day of the week. "I believe" PYB to be a better product that's all. PYB is in use by a lot more people, is easier to get, has been around as long as I can remember, and has some fantastic UOA reports here along with a much larger fan base.

I used Mobil 5000 w/o issue as well.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
smile.gif

Ah yes, easy on the eyes, yet bold and attractive.........

3 big players in LNG/GTL = big 3 in lubes mentioned on this site.
The day I saw the NG to lube stuff - "cost effective" crossed my mind - NG was cheap and plentiful and now folks are able to move by ship (a giant Thermos bottle) ...

I was recently sorely mistaken as well.

I still like PYB, but I wouldn't stock up on it anymore.

Would I buy a jug or 2 during Walmart's famous $9.99 jug sale around boxing day? Maybe...

But I have a lot of good oil in my stash that I need to use before I scrap this car as I doubt my next car would be able to use the spec of 5W20 oils I stocked up on.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
smile.gif

Ah yes, easy on the eyes, yet bold and attractive.........

I like yellow. My Pick-up is Old Caterpillar Yellow
laugh.gif

Any name brand conventional is fine. If PYB makes you anxious, upgrade to a cheap synthetic or semisynthetic so you can sleep at night. I don't understand the overthinking of name brand oils for a "typical car."

I will still buy and use PYB. Its cheap and easy to find. I will admit I been adding syn blends and full syn to my stash recently. Whatever is on for a great price.

Now that the Noack is about the same as other conventional oils, "Noack isn't everything...". But when the Noack was below 8%, it was always used to "confirm" PYB's superiority. Lol.

SOPUS just gave you a great reason to stop shopping based on what YOU believe are the ingredients and should shop based on certs and approvals. All the oil companies switch and alter formulas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51
Yep, amazing what a fancy yellow jug and marketing b.s. Do to a consumer

Yes, it's almost hypnotic.

+1

Originally Posted By: car51
Yep, amazing what a fancy yellow jug and marketing b.s. Do to a consumer

Yes, it's almost hypnotic.

Originally Posted By: Yup
I don't understand the overthinking of name brand oils for a "typical car."

I'm sure you realize that much of BITOG is OCD, opinions unsupported by data, and trolling by multi-level marketers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back