Pennzoil Ultra vs Mobil 1 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: coachditka
Look at my PU UOA and see for yourself. The last 2 are PU and the others are M1. PU worked better for me, but every engine is different.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2023797#Post2023797

With the seemingly linear increase in silicon, as well as the slightly elevated lead, I'd be more concerned about your air filtration than the couple ppm iron variations between your M1 and PU runs.

Why no TBN on your M1 runs?

Those kind of numbers (Aluminum, Copper..etc are the same, only iron is really different, and by only a few ppm), I'd say both oils were performing admirably.

Remember, UOA's are NOT meant to compare oils. Big article on the subject on the front page of BITOG in case you missed it.

They are meant to monitor oil life, contamination and potential component failures. In your case, the elevated silicon is a perfect example of this: It often means you've got something going on with your air filtration.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Remember, UOA's are NOT meant to compare oils. Big article on the subject on the front page of BITOG in case you missed it.

I do agree to a certain extent, when the numbers are real close like in this case it's more due to weather conditions and driving habits which may determine a few ppm difference here and there. But if you consistently see low numbers with other oils and then you try a different one for a few intervals and the numbers spike up (like in my wife's Honda when I ran RP) then you know something is up (especially when the numbers come back to normal when you switch back to other oils again)

Mobil 1 HM oils r as good as it gets and only $23 for 5 quarts at my local Walmart. Used to be $21, so I am a little sad. LOL. I also use Ultra but either one is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back