Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in a high mileage vehicle?

Has anyone started using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in a high mileage vehicle? I messed Pennzoil and they recommend the Ultra High Mileage

I'll soon be running PUP in my 170k mile 2006 Tacoma. I'm sure it will work just fine.
Nobody can say that an arbitrary odometer reading is truly high mileage for a given engine. There are lots of vehicles well over 200k miles that have never seen HM oil and are still running perfectly. Engines have different designs, performance levels, etc. plus owners drive and maintain their vehicles differently. All these things have an effect on an engine's durability and longevity. The old and tired "75k miles" milestone is not necessarily high mileage. HM oils are designed to treat symptoms of wear such as oil leaks/seepage, oil consumption, loss of fuel economy, some engine noises, etc. If your vehicle has no symptoms of wear then there is no need to use HM oil. Oil makers market HM oils to make more money (e.g. "use HM oils after 75k miles"). Yes the HM formulations definitely have a purpose, but oil makers want people using HM oils long before they are really needed.

I'll soon be running PUP in my 170k mile 2006 Tacoma. I'm sure it will work just fine.
Nobody can say that an arbitrary odometer reading is truly high mileage for a given engine. There are lots of vehicles well over 200k miles that have never seen HM oil and are still running perfectly. Engines have different designs, performance levels, etc. plus owners drive and maintain their vehicles differently. All these things have an effect on an engine's durability and longevity. The old and tired "75k miles" milestone is not necessarily high mileage. HM oils are designed to treat symptoms of wear such as oil leaks/seepage, oil consumption, loss of fuel economy, some engine noises, etc. If your vehicle has no symptoms of wear then there is no need to use HM oil. Oil makers market HM oils to make more money (e.g. "use HM oils after 75k miles"). Yes the HM formulations definitely have a purpose, but oil makers want people using HM oils long before they are really needed.
Amen.

You don't believe the problems HM oils can treat would be prevented by any measure of using the oil before they developed.

I have used PUP on my lexus with 100k miles, now at 138k and just using PP instead. I now barely loose/burn oil over 5k miles. I would say if you plan on doing this run it 3 oci to have the whole system with it and see the affects.

You don't believe the problems HM oils can treat would be prevented by any measure of using the oil before they developed.
Good point. I believe it is possible to avoid some high-mileage wear issues by using HM oil before the issues appear. Personally I am not going to use HM oil when everything is still dry and smooth and quiet. Maybe when I hit 200k, this topic will get more serious consideration. But I do regular inspections and I'm confident that whatever symptom appears first in my vehicle will be addressed by switching to HM oil at that time, perhaps in a slightly higher viscosity as needed. No worries here.

I used it in my car which had around 293,000 miles at that time. I ran it for around 6800 miles and it was good. It used a teeny tiny bit more than usual but my car hardly burns any. So I guess maybe it used a 1/4 qt or so.

this is what I done also as of next week my 77,000 mile Buick will get its first High Mileage Pennzoil oil change I hope those tiny oil drips near the upper manifold stop a drip - with the seal additive in the oil .

Attachments

• IMG_6048.JPG
    IMG_6048.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 67
If it is 5W30 you're using keep in mind PUP is on the "thin" side for a 30 grade oil. That may or may not matter in your application.

Back