Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 arrived

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: glyuen
How much trust do you guys place on this Jennifer?

None whatsoever.
smile.gif
But even if it's still the old SM, it's good stuff.

Do any of the labs we use test NOACK? Could the PQIA run a sample? I mean that'd solve the issue.

Darn! just used my BOGO stash of (new) GC for an OC on the Ultimate Driving Machine, and have 7 qts of bogo BC left for the next change...and yet, all this talk about Euro Pennz. and the subscribe/save Amazon Prime deal ($37 shipped) have made me weak again. I try to forgive myself by thinking "one has to plan for the future"
smile.gif

(same works for wife when she asks "what! more oil ???")

Just ordered/subscribed on the Euro 5/40 - will update on what version I get on 3rd of Dec.
(wish they came in 7 qt packs, but I know I am being selfish)

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Do any of the labs we use test NOACK? Could the PQIA run a sample? I mean that'd solve the issue.

I don't see why not. It's a standard test. Blackstone can do pretty much anything for an extra fee. Give them a call and ask.

So I got my 6 pack from Amazon
How do I tell if it's SM or SN ?
Does the label on the bottle say SM or SN ?
I can't see it anywhere.

Production date code (I think) says "10OCT13"

Is this oil better then 0w40 M1 ( lets forget about price for a minute )

Originally Posted By: Ndx

Couldn't tell you. My next oil change is M1 0w-40, as I stock that.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Someone should ask Jennifer or SOPUS how many more SM labels they have left.
lol.gif

Ha ha ! We need to find out who this jennifer is...maybe she's on Facebook
lol.gif

BTW, the PART NO on the Box is 550022576

I don't know if that's even possible. Being the recommended oil and mentioned by name for so many performance engine builders and European oem's its pretty tough to beat.
I've got a fellow member sending me jugs of it that he's buying in America.
I'll be using it after I try Belgian castrol on this next interval. I've got 2000 miles to go before I'm due for a change.
I'll be paying special attention to every little thing using both oils.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Haven't seen any with the SN label yet and the stock at my Chrysler dealer is pretty fresh
21.gif

The stuff I bought a couple of weeks ago from AutoZone was dated December 2013. Still SM on the label.

I'm thinking they won't change this label until the brand new "Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40" label comes out later this year.

Just did a OCI and dumped out the PUE540 for a mix of very old stock GC + new bottles of GC (I had 4qts lying around, and finally picked up another 5 from AZ to complete a OCI)

I have to say, there is something about GC in the N54.
It's a tad smoother ....

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I don't know if that's even possible. Being the recommended oil and mentioned by name for so many performance engine builders and European oem's its pretty tough to beat.
I'll be using it after I try Belgian castrol on this next interval. I've got 2000 miles to go before I'm due for a change.

How you mean is it possible? Pennzoil is actually Shell Helix Ultra, which many would argue is much better then M1.
On paper, it looks better too!

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: Clevy

How you mean is it possible? Pennzoil is actually Shell Helix Ultra, which many would argue is much better then M1.
On paper, it looks better too!

On paper royal purple looks like valvoline and after seeing many engines at the track using RP,with synerlec,I can say without a doubt they're only similar on paper.
What paper may I ask. A voa misses everything organic so can one even use that data to compare.
Due to the limited info that can be gleaned by looking at "paper" maybe looking at the engines that use it can help one inform themselves.
Didn't Nissan ask for it by name in they're bad boy sportscar.
Wasn't it the oil for the SRT engines until they got a special oil.

You've gone with Overkills methodology for figuring out what is better, which he uses in the absence of more detailed testing data that none of us will get hold of.

The number of certifications is very similar. There are multiple European flavors of Helix Ultra and an overall trend there of having manufacturer specific oils. Some of these oils could have less certifications than M1 or PU Euro 5w40 but could be better for the intended application. PUE 5w40 could be better for Ferrari. M1 0w40 could be better for the Nissan Skyline as they used it during development. Either Pennzoil or Mobil could tweak their formula and some test results move in favor of one or the other.

One of the best things to read is the VISOM Mobil vs PAO Mobil presentation. You get to see actual test results between the two. Some things are better, some are worse. It still gets the same approvals. Cold starting was worse so for some Canadians, old M1 may have been better than new M1.

This is also why the Amsoil testing is helpful. If you're truly trying to find out the best oil, you need to know what information you seem missing and we are missing a lot!

So my approach is to buy what meets spec and see what my butt dino likes. Even with that Mobil doc, I am no wiser as to whether new Mobil is better or worse than old Mobil. But I'm sure my butt dino could tell me.

Also, we have to stop the references to Belgian Castrol. My Castrol 0w40 is made in Germany. Some have 0w30 that is made in Belgium. Some have product that was made in the opposite country. Let's give out the grade we are talking about and the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back