Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 Euro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Funny you should mention that.
I just bought a 6-pack on Amazon for $51.10 w/ free shipping.

Should have done the "Subscribe&Save" thing. It would be $43 then. You can always cancel it later.

I thought of that, but my stash is already 3 oil changes ahead, and I'm running out of room to put auto supplies in the house.

For anyone up in Canada looking for this stuff locally I just saw they put on the shelf next to the PP at my local CT for $10.29/L

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
OK, this oil is definitely quieter. I'm assuming that this may simply be due to it shearing less. And by quieter I mean the distinct VANOS noise that these engines make. It is pretty much silent at this point. That is surprising.

Put this in my SAAB 93 after having Syntec 5-30 in previously and it is definitely making my engine sound a lot smoother, even after 6 months.

I'll be picking up some more. I'm also UOA'ing this fill to see how much it did or didn't shear. I'm betting it sheared less than the previous fill.

I'll be picking up some more. I'm also UOA'ing this fill to see how much it did or didn't shear. I'm betting it sheared less than the previous fill.

Am I wrong or Amazon has it again?

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Am I wrong or Amazon has it again?

It was mentioned today that amazon was restocked,so I assume that his source

Assuming the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 is the same product as Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 Euro then this is my experience:

I put Shell in the Corolla and drove about 8000 kilometres (appr. 5000 miles) and changed the oil. It smelled bad - and I mean really bad. I cannot recall any of my cars having had that bad smell in used oil before. It was a combination of used warm oil and soiled burned gasoline and then some.

Corolla has now jus 75k miles on the clock and especially the last part of the OCI I was driving long distances at work ie. 500 miles a day.

We put new Ultra in but I'm thinking what is wrong here or do they all smell that bad? Oil usage was quite low.

Ideas?

Originally Posted By: Finn
Assuming the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 is the same product as Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 Euro then this is my experience:

I put Shell in the Corolla and drove about 8000 kilometres (appr. 5000 miles) and changed the oil. It smelled bad - and I mean really bad. I cannot recall any of my cars having had that bad smell in used oil before. It was a combination of used warm oil and soiled burned gasoline and then some.

Corolla has now jus 75k miles on the clock and especially the last part of the OCI I was driving long distances at work ie. 500 miles a day.

We put new Ultra in but I'm thinking what is wrong here or do they all smell that bad? Oil usage was quite low.

Ideas?

I can't answer as to the foul odour however ultra is one of the best oils available so I really wouldn't worry about the smell

Ultra brought Overkill over to the sopus camp after using it in his bimmer. If he chose it over M1 0w-40 that alone tells me its something special y

Last edited:
Thanks Clevy.

I thought first if my lambda would be toast and this would cause too rich mixture or somthing but MPG is normal and everything works OK. I'll report how it is next time.

Originally Posted By: Finn
Thanks Clevy.

I thought first if my lambda would be toast and this would cause too rich mixture or somthing but MPG is normal and everything works OK. I'll report how it is next time.

Could be like Overkill said. Due to the cleaning that there is that smell.
See after 2-3 changes what will happen.

I just changed out the oil on the 1.8T GTI and ran a 10,300 mile OCI. The engine is now at 196k and it is still running strong on the original turbo. I do run the larger diesel filter. This is a fantastic oil. It just works, plain and simple.

Yes, gentlemen, that thought of cleaning process going on crossed my mind as well. Works otherwise without a problem so I'll keep using it.

It looks like on Amazon right now for subscribe & save the oil is about $37, but there is a $6.00 coupon you can "click," so that brings it down to about $31 for 6 quarts, pretty good for a world class oil to your door with no rebate to hassle (if you only need 6 quarts). Maybe if your household has two amazon accounts, you could get two deals. Just remember to cancel the subscribe & save right away.

I'm so hesitant to leave Mobil 1 0w40 though. Looking at VOAs, it doesn't seem as rich. What does a product like Ultra use instead of Moly? The other numbers, for detergents and whatnot, are equal or slightly below Mobil 1 0w-40.

However, I know the NOACK is better with this latest Ultra.

Seems like a tough decision.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back