Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 Euro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Pennzoil Ultra Euro is out of stock at Amazon.

When I look it up on their site, it says:
Quote:
Item Under Review

This item is currently unavailable because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

I betcha it's because OVERKILL complained that it was SM instead of the expected SN.
lol.gif

That's the way to do it

I think for summer I will order it. Still sticking during winter with GC, moving to Colorado this summer, sooo, better to have 0W30 in real winter conditions.

moving to Colorado this summer,

Didn't you just move to Cali recently?

Yep, December. Now moving to Colorado in July
smile.gif

CO fits me better since I skii since I was 5, just turned out I got also dream job there:)
Now, get good winter tires, GC and hit Pikes Peak )

Last edited:
Pennzoil Ultra Euro is out of stock at Amazon.

When I look it up on their site, it says:
Quote:
Item Under Review

This item is currently unavailable because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

I betcha it's because OVERKILL complained that it was SM instead of the expected SN.
lol.gif

It's all my fault! LOL!
grin.gif

OVERKILL has single-handedly caused a major PU 5w-40 oil shortage. Next time someone tells you that Canada has no impact on the US, I will point them to this thread.
smile.gif

I'm just glad I got my supply before this happened so that I can hopefully change my oil this weekend.

OVERKILL has single-handedly caused a major PU 5w-40 oil shortage. Next time someone tells you that Canada has no impact on the US, I will point them to this thread.
smile.gif

I'm just glad I got my supply before this happened so that I can hopefully change my oil this weekend.

Amazon seriously needs to work out on their description of products. I ordered rotors for CC, they claimed those fit 2.0T, and they sent me rotors for 3.6 4 Motion.
One thing I know, if they do not change how they sell auto parts, they should stick to things like oil only, but even there they cannot get their act together.

Amazon seriously needs to work out on their description of products. I ordered rotors for CC, they claimed those fit 2.0T, and they sent me rotors for 3.6 4 Motion.
One thing I know, if they do not change how they sell auto parts, they should stick to things like oil only, but even there they cannot get their act together.

Amazon depends on manufactures on part's description, they can't test every part to be sure that it does what it suppose to. If you look at 1 part number on Amazon then go to manufacture website you will see the exact description.

MANN has wrong air filter part number for 2000 MB E430, Amazon and Rockauto have the same wrong MANN part number for that car.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Amazon depends on manufactures on part's description, they can't test every part to be sure that it does what it suppose to. If you look at 1 part number on Amazon then go to manufacture website you will see the exact description.

MANN has wrong air filter part number for 2000 MB E430, Amazon and Rockauto have the same wrong MANN part number for that car.

Actually I tried to do that, could not figure out at ATE web site how to get to part number. Anyway, good thing about Amazon is that you can return it with no problems.

I'm still running it in both GTI's with a 9-10k change interval. I like how this oil performs in the engines so I keep using it. No problems so far in either car.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
5300 miles in 1 yr? wow!

Yeah, I work from home, so I don't drive a whole lot, hence I go by time rather than by miles due to many short trips which with our colder winters don't allow the engine to come up to temp.

Last time I waited 16 months to do an oil change, and the lab flagged the report as 'abnormal' based on TAN exceeding TBN, but overall, it didn't really look too bad. Still, I decided to pull back a little and just stick to 1-year OCI for now. I've refilled it with PU 5w-40 again. Haven't decided what I'll use in it next year. The cheapest LL-01 oil will do in my case, I think.

Link to UOA

edyvw: I bought mine from Amazon and my communication with Pennzoil yielded the conclusion that anything produced since the beginning of the summer last year, despite being labelled SM, is actually the new SN formula with the ultra-low NOACK.

Put this stuff in the M5 this evening. It may be a LITTLE quieter than the M1 0w-40? Hard to tell. It was fresh oil too, so that plays into it.

What WAS surprising was the COLOUR! Whilst the M1 0w-40 is a dark amber with a green-tinge to it, this stuff is almost clear!!!
crazy2.gif

Kinda freaked me out!

Went out and pounded the poo out of the car with it in the sump and the oil temp seemed to track the same as the M1 0w-40, though, as mentioned earlier, it may be a tad quieter with this oil, that is a touch heavier and has a lower VI (and visc-spread, so likely less polymer too).

OK, this oil is definitely quieter. I'm assuming that this may simply be due to it shearing less. And by quieter I mean the distinct VANOS noise that these engines make. It is pretty much silent at this point. That is surprising.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
OK, this oil is definitely quieter. I'm assuming that this may simply be due to it shearing less. And by quieter I mean the distinct VANOS noise that these engines make. It is pretty much silent at this point. That is surprising.

Is this a sign of PU earning some respect or a simple observation?

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Is this a sign of PU earning some respect or a simple observation?

Both
smile.gif

I stopped at a local auto parts store that stocks Penn Ultra Euro 5W-40 yesterday. I wanted to see if they carried the new SN stuff. Another member on here knows where this speakeasy is.
wink.gif

They use to sell it for $5.99 a quart. It looks like they raised the price to $6.99 a quart, still a great price. They had only two quarts on the shelf. Both were SM with a date code of Jan2012. They reduce the whole Ultra section down to just the 5W-20 and 5W-40. I don't think they are going to be stocking it much longer I think. Oh well, I guess I will stick to Mobil 1 0W-40 for $25.97 for the 5 quart jug, or if I can find Castrol 0W-40 before my next OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back