Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 Euro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I agree with that. 5W-30 Euro L is marketed as a Low SAPS oil to meet manuf reqs like VW 504. It still has a HT/HS of 3.68 to meet ACEA A3. I wouldn't use this oil over the 5W-40 unless required by the manufacturer. The 5W-40 has a more robust detergent pack.

I just think it's REALLY weird that the 40 and 30 weight oils have IDENTICAL HTHS to the hundredth of a point!
I can see the 30 meeting the 3.5 min, for both ACEA A3 and VW 504/502 spec, but would have expected SOME difference, especially with the 504 spec 30 oil requiring better fuel economy than the 502 spec 40 oil.

Originally Posted By: OldBaldy
I just think it's REALLY weird that the 40 and 30 weight oils have IDENTICAL HTHS to the hundredth of a point!

Yeah, it does look fishy. And it's not just HT/HS that is identical, but also many other specs: gravity, specific gravity, flash point, pour point, CCS viscosity, and Noack volatility. Looks like somebody hit Ctrl+C Ctrl+V on that spec table and just replaced two values for 40C and 100C viscosity.

Last edited:
Well, Fedex just delivered 7 Qt. to my doorstep - what a pleasant surprise. Now I can run PP in the Buick and PU in the wagon.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Looks like somebody hit Ctrl+C Ctrl+V on that spec table and just replaced two values for 40C and 100C viscosity.

Hey QP, would you mind turning your logic down just a tad? I'm having trouble hearing the conspiracy theories. Thanks so much.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Looks like somebody hit Ctrl+C Ctrl+V on that spec table and just replaced two values for 40C and 100C viscosity.

Hey QP, would you mind turning your logic down just a tad? I'm having trouble hearing the conspiracy theories. Thanks so much.

hehe. My thoughts exactly. I think the PDS are just screwed up on the web. This MIGHT also explain why the PU E 5W-40 is the same as PP according to the spec

Last edited:
I think the PDS are correct, the numbers are just interesting. The first page of the PDS for Platinum is different than that for Ultra. I think what it comes down to is that there are not huge differences between these oils.

That's fine by me as I am running Pennzoil Ultra of various grades in my entire fleet of vehicles now.

Ouch. My first tank of gas with the PU 5W-40 has dropped my average fuel consumption from 19.4 MPG to 17.5 MPG. The worst consumption since the winter slush. While it's early to confirm this, my consumption has seldom varied more than 1 MPG per tank. I guess there's a down side to using a thicker oil than the 5W-30 Castrol SLX OE oil I'd been using.

Yep. I use 30 in winter.

I have my box of oil sitting on the shelf, still hard to believe PZ did such a nice thing.

We are already getting winter gas here in Houston, my mileage has suffered in all cars on this last fillup
frown.gif

Got mine, I'll change the current 10W30 in Honda S2000 to this Ultra 5W40 in few weeks. Honda is recommending either 10W30 or 5W40 for S2000 with 10W30 for warmer climate and 5W40 for colder.

Originally Posted By: akuska
Was it equally hard to find,

Yup. It was never available in stores. I'm not even sure if we've got a single UOA of it.

I posted one awhile back (not mine, but from same car as mine on another our car's forum). There's actually 2 of them back to back...

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-40 Euro UOA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Got mine, I'll change the current 10W30 in Honda S2000 to this Ultra 5W40 in few weeks. Honda is recommending either 10W30 or 5W40 for S2000 with 10W30 for warmer climate and 5W40 for colder.

You're in SoCal. Above +25f or so, 10w-30 is thinner than 5w-40.

I know, we almost never get to below 40F during the day and only a night or two a year we may get down to 37-38F at around 2-3 AM. According to Honda I should use 10W30 in my S2000 all year, but I am anxious to try Ultra Euro in 1 of my cars. I just changed the oil and filter in E430 a month ago, otherwise the Ultra would be in that engine. LS400 had new 5W30 and new filter last week, the only car did not have new oil is S2000.

For SoCal I would definitely opt for the 5W-40 over the 30. I run 5W-40 year round in New England (MA & VT driving) with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back