Pennzoil Synthetic Platinum LV Multi-Vehicle ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have experience with the Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic ATF? It's available for a good price on jet.com. 12 Qts for $54.46 and I"ll be able to get $20 off from an American Express offer.

Seems like a great price for a name brand full synthetic ATF. I can't find any information on pennzoil's website, but I found this press release and this technical data sheet.

I am planning on using this to do change the ATF of a 2010 Ford Fusion with 60k miles. I plan on doing the recommended way of drain and replace method three consecutive time and letting it run for 10min between each drain and refill. Each drain and fill should take about 5 quarts, so I'll be 3 quart short. I am thinking of buying 3 quarts of Motorcraft Mercon LV for that. I am not huge on the idea of mixing the fluids, but since they're both Mercon LV approved, it should be fine right? What do you guys think?

Assuming that I get a perfect mixture between old and new fluids in between the drain and flushes, I should get the following mix after 3 drain and refills (full capacity is 9 quarts):
84.5% new Pennzoil, 6.5% new Motorcraft, and 9% old ATF.

The other option is to just get 15 quarts of Motorcraft, but that'll cost me about $110 in fluids vs $59 with the 12qt Pennzoil + 3 qt Motorcraft option.

I'm not opposed to spending the extra money, but only if it'll be better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
May as well do a cooler line flush if that's an option on your vehicle. Get nearly 100% fresh fluid that way.

Unfortunately, I believe there is a thermal valve before the fluid goes into the cooler. If the fluid isn't hot enough, the thermal valve causes the fluid to bypass the cooler. So the cooler line method isn't really feasible.

I believe the Pennzoil to be better than the Motorcraft fluid..(just my opinion based on how dark the MC fluid gets so fast).

I'd buy the case and just D&R it twice (rather than 3 X)....you will give it plenty of fresh additives.

I recently spoke to a guy with over 200K on his Fusion who told me he changed the ATF @ 100K and 200K (1 D&R each time). I plan on doing an initial D&R in my Escape at 15K to 20K and then every 40 or 50K after that. I don't plan on doing multiple D&Rs because I don't think it's necessary to get 100% new fluid.

Last few trans services Ive done I was really hoping I could buy the Pennzoil Plat LV multi, but I cant find it reasonably priced anywhere. The Penn Plat Dex VI is pricey too so I had to resort to my go to fluid at walmart, maxlife atf. Maxlife has been fantastic for me but i always wanted to try pennzoil.

Your plan is sound. I'd get a gallon of MaxLife for the make-up. It will be a closer profile to the PP than the MC, I would think. It is also about as cheap as the PP in gallons. Walmart has it cheaply that way and I think Autozone, too.

OTOH, I do agree a bit with pbm, 2x D/Fs would get enough new fluid in, and you have low enough mileage you could be good and then just do a single D/F every 30k going forward.

I have wanted to use the PP atf in some of our vehicles but the lack of availabilty and high cost the single time I've found it has been an issue. But like Slick said, the picture at jet is of the new stuff, but the description is of older non-synthetic Dex III stuff, not new synthetic LV atf. Not the same product.

Last edited:
You all are absolutely right. The description doesn't match the picture. It seems pretty unlikely that I'll get the new platinum one. The price was just too good to be true I guess. I am also convinced that doing 2 drain and fills would be enough and just do the next drain and fill a little sooner.

I'll check out the 711s here in Texas to see if they have it.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
I am running Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic ATF in my Fusion, from my local Pennzoil dealer. All is well so far, I have over 2,000 miles on the fluid now. I did 3 drain/refills. My transmission goes into gear faster & shifts smoother than before. What engine does your Fusion have? If it's a Fusion Sport with the 3.5L V6 then it has the Aisin transmission, which is the same transmission in my Fusion. If it's a 2.5L or 3.0L it will have the 6F35 transmission which I have no experience with.

As annoying as it may be but doing the 3x drain/fill has delivered the best results in my experience when servicing a transmission. If you buy a new vehicle I would say a single drain/fill every 30k miles is perfect. If you buy a used veh over 30k miles I would do the 3x drain/fill with a few hundred miles of driving between drains. After the 3rd drain/fill I would go back to a 30k mile single drain/fill and I would bet that the transmission would last the life of the car unless there is a design flaw or previous damage before you got the veh. I think everyone on this thread has given great advice, for once!

Well I went ahead and ordered it knowing that I most likely will have to return it for being incorrectly listed (wrong picture). I've had good luck returning stuff with jet.com so I'm not too terribly worried.

It's slated to arrive tomorrow since it's just shipping from Waco, TX which is only 100 miles away. I'll let you guys know what I actually receive.

Last edited:
Here's something interesting. Someone on slickdeals said that their order also arrived today. They got six of the Platinum ATF, not the same ones that I got. Still the wrong number of bottles, but at least it's the right kind of ATF.

this is obviously Pennzoil's answer to Valvoline Maxlife synthetic multi-vehicle ATF. I'm sure it's fine. the Valvoline variant is really good in GM transmissions as well as Ford transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back