Pennzoil SN Plus

I have a 2019 Jeep Cherokee with the 2.0 turbo. Calls for SN plus motor oil. Used Pennzoil Platinum before as it has the rating on the bottle. Just did an oil change with Pennzoil Ultra platinum without looking at the ratings thinking it would be better. Appears that Ultra is not rated plus. Should I drain and refill or am I fine keeping the Ultra in there?

I have a 2019 Jeep Cherokee with the 2.0 turbo. Calls for SN plus motor oil. Used Pennzoil Platinum before as it has the rating on the bottle. Just did an oil change with Pennzoil Ultra platinum without looking at the ratings thinking it would be better. Appears that Ultra is not rated plus. Should I drain and refill or am I fine keeping the Ultra in there?
What license does the oil have that you used? All API licenses are backwards compatible.

If its API SP you're fine. As I understand SN+ is formulated for LSPI just like SP but w/out the additional GTDI timing chain wear test of SP.

Last edited:
Welcome Skiman747 to the land of OCD.

Your 2019 owners manual states: "Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 2.0L Engine Mopar API SN PLUS Certified SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic
Engine Oil which meets the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-13340 is recommended for all operating temperatures. This engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy."

2022 manual states: "We recommend using Mopar® API SP/GF-6A Certified SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Engine Oil which meets the requirements of the manufacturer Material Standard MS-13340. Equivalent full synthetic 5W-30 API SP engine oil can be used but must have the API Donut trademark Ú page 255."

It seems that SP supercedes SN+. What is confounding is the MS-13340 standard. Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge list it, Pennzoil does not. Let us know what you find out.

Edit: OP might have an old bottle of SN, that is neither SN+ or SP. Should he use it?
Also, Pennzoil removed the 13340 from the current spec. sheets.

Last edited:
probably ok.. but is probably enough for expensive engine that produces 135hp/liter.

PP is ms-13340, d1g2, and api sp it is what I use in my 2.0 turbo. for 5000mile intervals.

Should be fine. SN+ is a outdated rating anyway.
but the oil he put in is API SN.

Last edited:
Back