Pennzoil Platinum used to be my favorite

I switched from Pennzoil Platium to the High Mileage Valvoline on 2012 Impala and glad I did. Pennzoil always dropped a quart between oil changes so even with PCV replacement still the same. Got Valvoline last time and with life I relied on owner (mother) to let me know at 5k. Well when I thought wow a long time it was 10k and still full. Mother stated lots of running and no time to change with 12% we let it go since full. Fast forward to 8% and 2000 more miles i.e.12k I changed it which was 1/2 quart low. Filled with Valvoline Advance 5w30 as it was Dexo. Oh it was harder on this past oil change as water pump started leaking so coolant was low.

That's not accurate. Group III is Group III, having a higher VI and being produced from methane doesn't give it magical properties. The reality is that, per what @4WD noted, a VOA is limited to showing you metallic additives and does not show you actual compounds or organics.

Within the constraints of the limits imposed by the API, trying to gauge relative performance based on VOA values is like read tea leaves.
Sorry it's true 🙂

I don't think they make oil from methane, don't they heat oil they get from the ground to evaporate and condense back?
The feedstock for Shell's Pearl bases (GTL, produced using the Fischer-Tropsch process) are derived from methane (Natural Gas), used to produce a slack wax product (the same category of feedstock for any other Group III) which is then run through a cracker to be progressively refined into a group of base oils, available in a range of viscosities with very low wax content. Like other high grade Group III products (like Mobil's VISOM), the severity of the treatment is very high, resulting in low volatility, high VI's and very high purity.

The methane-derived FT feedstock is extremely pure, which does provide some advantages on the economic and quality front for producing these high quality base oils over traditional feedstocks, once the initial investment in the FT system has been made (which is considerable).

PAO is another base oil derived from a gas, using an ethylene feedstock to create the identical "building block" molecules for the base oil. This product contains no slack wax, which is why its cold temperature performance is unrivalled.

Several years ago with they came out with PP it was all the rage here and I used it a lot in my vehicles since. I found when they switched to the Pure Plus formulation that consumption had significantly increased and found that others had experienced the same issues after the change but then there were others that didn't notice a change.

For my next change I'm going to use their Euro it's KV is a bit higher and very close to a straight 30w.
I might do the same but I’ve been on Penn regardless. Just to see how the Euro spec handles an EJ motor. Got a jug of Ultra that I’m not gonna use yet. After the Euro.

I might do the same but I’ve been on Penn regardless. Just to see how the Euro spec handles an EJ motor. Got a jug of Ultra that I’m not gonna use yet. After the Euro.
I just found that they dropped the Euro L and they just have the Euro version now which isn't as thick.

Where did you see this? They are different products with different approvals. Both are still listed on the Pennzoil website and both are still for sale.
I'll look around and see if I can find it again, if I'm incorrect I will come back and say that I was wrong, I don't want to be spreading misinformation if it's not true.

Evidently I am mistaken, I did a more thorough search on Walmart's website and found that it's just not currently available in my area but another location 1 hr away does have it. I have two stores somewhat close to me and they are usually my goto stores for oil because they typically keep the best selection but both are showing out of stock for the Euro L.

It is also available on Amazon for those that don't shop at Walmart.

I have 2x Honda Civic's, the one goes through a lot more than the other. I had the one in for other service and I let them replace the PCV but they also replaced the oil filter and didn't top it back off which has skewed my calculations but so far I've been 3600 miles and have added 2x qts so 1800 miles per qt which doesn't seem bad compared to the other posts I've been seeing lately. I probably should go ahead and change it, I last changed it Jan. 2018 and the filter has been replaced but it only has somewhere around 3800 miles.

Last edited:
But how do they do in Project Farm's testing? Just kidding...everyone calm down.... 🤣

But isn't it hard to correlate the oil analysis to actual additive package performance etc....can't just look at the raw numbers and infer "better/worse"?
But Pennzoil did so well on The Libriski test.

I always considered PP a top of the line Syn oil but these oil analysis reports really disappoint me. The add pack appears to be far weaker then it was in the past and not up to par with some other name brand oils.

Do any of you feel the same? Thoughts?
If you were here back in 2012 or so, you’ll remember that between Mobil 1 EP and Pennzoil Platinum you really couldn’t buy better oil for your passenger car. The forum posts of VOAs and UOAs and the constant sales was a thing of beauty.

Even better was the fact that Pennzoil Yellow was 3rd place and was $15.14 at Walmart for a 5 qt jug - all day, every day.

I saw the VOA results for the new formulation and either I’m misreading it or everyone forgot just how good it was to “DIY oil change” 10 years ago. My old stock feels like liquid gold now.

Also I think right now based on the VOAs - clearance and rebates aside - the best oil for your money is probably going to be QS HM Synthetic. At least that’s what I’d buy. Good Boron for quiet operation, nice Calcium hit, and a TBN in the 9s.

Used to be a TBN below 10 was “trash” but times have changed unfortunately. Welcome to the 2020s.

Used to be a TBN below 10 was “trash” but times have changed unfortunately. Welcome to the 2020s.
Sure, with older chemistry TBN >10 was needed…

But with ashless detergents and ULSG fuel, the: 1. TBN Testing gives different results compared to 10 years ago even when real-world performance is identical, and; 2. There’s simply no need since the acid load facing engine oils today is not the same as 10-15 years ago.

Back