Pennzoil Platinum used to be my favorite

I just bought 2 jugs of PP. It was the D1G3 blend. I've been using PUP D1G2 for the last 2 oil changes and have 2 more jugs of it but I couldn't get it easily this time and the price went way up. I'm sure it will be just fine for my uses and for the fact that my average OCI is 2k miles it should be more than adequate. Especially since I am not racing.

I just bought 2 jugs of PP. It was the D1G3 blend. I've been using PUP D1G2 for the last 2 oil changes and have 2 more jugs of it but I couldn't get it easily this time and the price went way up. I'm sure it will be just fine for my uses and for the fact that my average OCI is 2k miles it should be more than adequate. Especially since I am not racing.
Yeah - I have 3 jugs D1G3 PP in stash - way back when Pennzoil bought PAO from CVX - PUP was unique - but after they both went GTL - seemed closer to the same thing …

Yeah - I have 3 jugs D1G3 PP in stash - way back when Pennzoil bought PAO from CVX - PUP was unique - but after they both went GTL - seemed closer to the same thing …
Honestly, I don't know if I would know/see a difference, specificially with this car. This is my '19 Impreza Sport. I bought it ~8-9 months before Covid and was driving more. Then, we got sent home to telework and all my band gigs dried up. Since then, we are gigging more (not as much as before) but I still don't go into the office, so my driving is either pleasure, rehearsal, gigs or random trips here and there. So, I'm around 6 months/2k miles. Due to warranty, I have to do the 6 month changes.

My other cars are using different brands and I haven't noticed a difference with them either. Granted, I am not breaking the engines down and looking at internals. At this point, it is about spending as little as possible while still using a reputable product which has the approvals I need and keeping oil change prices reasonable. With that said, I have HPL in 2 of my other cars as a one off change to clean up anything that "might" be there. And I know I have said this before, but if/when I get my Audi back up and running AND go through my stash of M1, that is a car I think HPL would be beneficial with the upgrades I have and the ones I want to do.

Sorry for the long post. Back to PP. As I have said, I'm sure it is more than fine for my circumstances.

Honestly, I don't know if I would know/see a difference, specificially with this car. This is my '19 Impreza Sport. I bought it ~8-9 months before Covid and was driving more. Then, we got sent home to telework and all my band gigs dried up. Since then, we are gigging more (not as much as before) but I still don't go into the office, so my driving is either pleasure, rehearsal, gigs or random trips here and there. So, I'm around 6 months/2k miles. Due to warranty, I have to do the 6 month changes.

My other cars are using different brands and I haven't noticed a difference with them either. Granted, I am not breaking the engines down and looking at internals. At this point, it is about spending as little as possible while still using a reputable product which has the approvals I need and keeping oil change prices reasonable. With that said, I have HPL in 2 of my other cars as a one off change to clean up anything that "might" be there. And I know I have said this before, but if/when I get my Audi back up and running AND go through my stash of M1, that is a car I think HPL would be beneficial with the upgrades I have and the ones I want to do.

Sorry for the long post. Back to PP. As I have said, I'm sure it is more than fine for my circumstances.
Your Subaru will live a long, happy life if you’re feeding it fresh PP every 6 months.

My mom’s ‘18 Forester just finished up a 12 mo/10k run on Amsoil SS and is 3 months into a 12 mo / unlimited mileage run on HPL PCEO 5w20. Runs great, she usually manages 33mpg without really trying!👍🏻

Your Subaru will live a long, happy life if you’re feeding it fresh PP every 6 months.

My mom’s ‘18 Forester just finished up a 12 mo/10k run on Amsoil SS and is 3 months into a 12 mo / unlimited mileage run on HPL PCEO 5w20. Runs great, she usually manages 33mpg without really trying!👍🏻
I have no doubt. I haven't used Amsoil SS in either of my current Subaru's but I did have a '17 Legacy for just shy of 2 years before I traded for an '18 and I used it for I think 2 oil changes in that car. I would be ok going with shorter mileage intervals with either Amsoil SS or HPL knowing the engines would be cleaner than let's say some other brand (not talking about the 2k intervals, more like 6k or more but not the claimed Amsoil claim of 25k). But with 3 active cars that I do changes in, plus my Audi whenever I get it back up and running, things start to become expensive. Other than the Legacy and CR-V that currently have HPL, I want to try and keep them to the brands they have been using. Kirkland (New for this car, price can't be beat when no rebates) for the CR-V (car has 137k and all changes prior were M1 under dealer, last was Kirkland before HPL and the 2 before that were Amsoil SS), Legacy had 2 dealer changes, then all M1 EP before the HPL and going back to M1 EP and now the Impreza which had 2 dealer changes, maybe 1 or 2 with M1 EP and now Pennzoil. Again, all due to price. By far though, my best price was probably last year with PUP and the rebate. I think $12.50 per 5qt jug after sale and rebate. Add in filter and it was less than $20 for the change. Maybe M1 was better than that a few years ago, maybe... I can't remember.

I run PP/PUP in all my vehicles, been running Pennzoil for the last 55 years of driving, not 1 engine malfunction related to oil, as stated run 5K OCI's and you'll be fine. ;)
5k is child’s play. I know many scream “PUP is not an extended drain oil!”, yet I ran at least 7 OCIs past 12.5k and as far as 17k on it and all the UOAs were stellar. The oil is plenty robust!

So there is no advantage to running an oil that meets specs that has a better looking add pack then running another oil that meets specs with a worse looking add pack?
I wonder because some want more than the bare minimum
Because cost to the manufacturer plays a part in how far into spec they want to go. We can't judge oils apples to apples by add pack due to unknown additives.

PP used to be my go-to oil and it was used extensively in my 2006 2GR-FE Toyota. Sold it to a friend with 115k trouble-free miles. She finally sold it last year with a tad over 200k on the odometer. Never caused her a day of trouble other than a dead battery. Asked her what she used as oil, she shrugged and said whatever the dealer used.
Who knows.. I probably could have used any oil with the low 5k intervals and had the same results.
Don’t use it in any of my current vehicles. I don’t think it’s a bad oil by any means, just feel like it may have been surpassed at that price point.

So there is no advantage to running an oil that meets specs that has a better looking add pack then running another oil that meets specs with a worse looking add pack?
I wonder because some want more than the bare minimum
Because cost to the manufacturer plays a part in how far into spec they want to go. We can't judge oils apples to apples by add pack due to unknown additives.
It doesn’t appear that you’re wondering, it appears that you’re trolling. It’s been said plenty of times that if one is using an oil that “meets the spec” for warranty purposes, there will be no statistical difference in your engine’s results compared to another person’s engine of the same family using another oil that simply “meets the spec”.

Theoretically, that means if the engine has an overall average 300k lifespan, 95% all of the engines will travel such a similar distance that the data cannot predict a “better” oil. However, if one is inclined to choose oils that do not “meet the spec”, depending on the characteristics of the oil, one may extend or shorten the life of said engine by an unknown amount, because these oils likely were not tested the same way.

I'll shout this from a bell tower to anyone that'll listen.
Pour this in, screw that on, your engine will last longer than the rest of the car every **** time..
20220907_220159.jpg

It doesn’t appear that you’re wondering, it appears that you’re trolling. It’s been said plenty of times that if one is using an oil that “meets the spec” for warranty purposes, there will be no statistical difference in your engine’s results compared to another person’s engine of the same family using another oil that simply “meets the spec”.

Theoretically, that means if the engine has an overall average 300k lifespan, 95% all of the engines will travel such a similar distance that the data cannot predict a “better” oil. However, if one is inclined to choose oils that do not “meet the spec”, depending on the characteristics of the oil, one may extend or shorten the life of said engine by an unknown amount, because these oils likely were not tested the same way.
I kind of take offense to the word trolling. It was a legit question. I don't read every single oil related answer here or claim to be an oil expert.

Back