Pennzoil Platinum HM 5W30 VOA

Are you not concerned about the lack of Boron? Sure oil analysis does catch all additives and there has been no documents that suggested they are using undetectable elements. Maybe D1G3 bar is still low enough to pass without Boron. But I like Boron for short trips. Am considering switching to Valvoline advanced 0w20 for next oil change.

The boron in a VOA/UOA is coming from a liquid analog of boric acid. It likes heat. Short trips tend to not heat the oil very much. The hotter the oil gets, the better it works. It would be more ideal for someone who puts on a lot of highway miles.

That looks pathetic.
I agree.
I bolted from Pennzoil in 2020. Moved over to Mobil-1 EP Triple Action and now experimenting with Amsoil.
HPL could be in my late 2024 future. A move to HPL would indicate Amsoil's failure to impress me.

I was highly impressed with Mobil-1 EP Triple Action. I had reason to stay-put, but didn't - all because of this rampant BITOG Fever to try something else. There's no cure for this Oil Switching Disease. It's never fatal or physically harmful - other than a possibility to open our wallets wider and wider. Amsoil & HPL purchases require big, fat wallets....lol

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but pertaining to PP. I swore I read on the back of a bottle of PP 5W20 this past summer while in an auto parts store ‘Protects like a 5W30’. Had anyone else seen this? I went to an O’Reilly’s today to confirm and their bottles of PP 5W20 did not have this printed on the back.

Slightly off topic, but pertaining to PP. I swore I read on the back of a bottle of PP 5W20 this past summer while in an auto parts store ‘Protects like a 5W30’. Had anyone else seen this? I went to an O’Reilly’s today to confirm and their bottles of PP 5W20 did not have this printed on the back.
I've seen statements like that before. What the oil companies are doing to get there is to have a higher add pack count and/or base oil. They may be comparing 5w-20 syn blen/syn full to a 5w-30 conventional. There is minor evidence to suggest this is possible BUT it's going to depend on what the oil is going into, driving type, etc. so not a cut & dry straight answer.

I agree.
I bolted from Pennzoil in 2020. Moved over to Mobil-1 EP Triple Action and now experimenting with Amsoil.
HPL could be in my late 2024 future. A move to HPL would indicate Amsoil's failure to impress me.

I was highly impressed with Mobil-1 EP Triple Action. I had reason to stay-put, but didn't - all because of this rampant BITOG Fever to try something else. There's no cure for this Oil Switching Disease. It's never fatal or physically harmful - other than a possibility to open our wallets wider and wider. Amsoil & HPL purchases require big, fat wallets....lol
I did the same. I ran PP in a 2008 Sienna from new, with oil changes at 4,000 miles. There was a fair amount of varnish under the valve covers.

I moved to Mobil 1 as well…it’s available everywhere, they have decent rebates and it has the needed specs.

I did the same. I ran PP in a 2008 Sienna from new, with oil changes at 4,000 miles. There was a fair amount of varnish under the valve covers.

I moved to Mobil 1 as well…it’s available everywhere, they have decent rebates and it has the needed specs.
How many miles did you get up to on PP in the Sienna before making the switch to M1?

Pennzoil used to be my go to oil. But these weak formulations have drove me away.

It has an industry advanced GTL base oil, which capable to protect and keep clean an engine for recommended OCI with no issues. Still my favorite oil, which I am running now in my cx9

If you think you are capable of predicting the future performance of an oil via a $30 spectrographic analysis of decomposed compounds, then perhaps you are on the right track.
Are you saying it doesn't look weak compared to competitors?

Pennzoil used to be my go to oil. But these weak formulations have drove me away.
SP in general has less add packs. The next task you should assign yourself is to understand why. I went through the exercise myself and it makes sense.

If you think you are capable of predicting the future performance of an oil via a $30 spectrographic analysis of decomposed compounds, then perhaps you are on the right track.
I never claimed I could. I said I didn't like how weak it looks now compared to other competitors. We all chose oils for various reasons.

Back