VOA - Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 SP

This oil seems to have a weak additive package on paper, but it meets Dexos1 Gen3, which has some pretty stringent requirements.

I did an idle fuel economy test comparing this PP 0W-20 D1G3 oil to the older PP 5W-30 D1G2 oil that had a lot more additives. I've added some more testing data since I made that post, and estimate the fuel consumption to be 5.5% lower, and friction 10% lower with the new formula. This is despite the newer oil having 40% less moly friction modifier, and 0 ppm boron vs 280 ppm.

This is an example of why more additive is not always better. Detergents that increase TBN increase friction, and will also compete with anti-wear and friction modifier additives, so adding more detergent than necessary can be detrimental. As I understand it, TBN is not as important as it once was due improvements in fuel standards, as well as emissions standards that reduce the amount of combustion byproducts that increase oil acidity.
Exactly. We shouldn't be judging oils on TBN anymore. It's irrelevant now on it's own.

Referring to the '18 Accent with the 1.6 Ltr. and the G.D.I.. Don't want to give a reason for possibly denial of drivetrain ( engine ) warranty . They are up to their neck with engine issues and are back logged . 💲. Also plan to keep it for many years when out of warranty .

Last edited:
Here's the ULTRA with DEXOS label when it was a S.N. ,GF-5 . PENNZOIL , please put this on your new ULTRA products and site :whistle: . Should also help with more sales of ULTRA .

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2618.JPG
IMG_2621.JPG
IMG_2625.JPG

Last edited:
I have been using PP for over 10 years, 0w20 and 5w30. But I think in the latest formulation PP is falling behind in terms of add packs. I am planning to switch to Valvoline EP for Moly and Boron.

Base Oil technology has improved. ILSAC / GF6A / SP Exxon-Mobil and Pennzoil/Shell brand names in the +/-$30 range for five quart jugs.... well those-2 lead the charge on using less additives.

Referring to the '18 Accent with the 1.6 Ltr. and the G.D.I.. Don't want to give a reason for possibly denial of drivetrain ( engine ) warranty . They are up to their neck with engine issues and are back logged . 💲. Also plan to keep it for many years when out of warranty .
Hyundai requires GM-licensed oil for warranty coverage purposes?

Back