VOA - Total Quartz 5w30 INEO Long Life - SN

cptbarkey

$50 site donor 2024
Long life edition. A bit similar to the regular INEO 5w30, linked here.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/voa-total-quartz-5w30-ineo-mc3-sn-plus-2023.373623/

IMG_0035.jpeg

IMG_0036.jpeg

IMG_0037.jpg

Two quarts of this went in a Hemi today along with five quarts of Total 0w20.

The wideman viscosity calculator came out to be 41.3 / 8.79 for the blend.

Thank you for doing the report.

Two quarts of this went in a Hemi today along with five quarts of Total 0w20.

The wideman viscosity calculator came out to be 41.3 / 8.79 for the blend.

Thank you for doing the report.
So… trying to understand the logic here. You made a 5w20. You already had a majority of 20 grade in the mix; all that you did was worsen the cold weather performance of the overall product. What were your goals from mixing these, or was it just using some orphan quarts?

What’s this being used in? Thanks for the VOA!

View attachment 201962View attachment 201963

8 quarts in my Lexus, only about 150 miles on it. not planning on too much crazy towing this time around.

So… trying to understand the logic here. You made a 5w20. You already had a majority of 20 grade in the mix; all that you did was worsen the cold weather performance of the overall product. What were your goals from mixing these, or was it just using some orphan quarts?

If it was also Total Quartz, the 0w20 has a very large amount of moly. interesting. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...tz-0w20-ineo-xtra-dynamics-sn-rc-2023.373624/

The 2016 Hemi 5.7L calls for 5w20, just blending a bit using up quarts from the clearance sale. The total quartz 0w20 is pretty light to begin with, so two quarts of 5w30 made it a little thicker.

Not saying it's wrong what you did or that the oil isn't good, but why not M1 ESP or Pennzoil Platinum Euro L? Those are just as good and likely quite cheaper. Or Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX?

Exactly, I have 21 jugs (5QT) of this particular oil. Results indicate that this oil is lspi friendly. I confirmed this with Total as well.
Not saying Total is a bad oil; but LSPI is a boogeyman that’s never been fully proven to exist in real life. May exist on paper, sure; but that’s where marketing justifies their budget rather than justifying their oil’s position in the market. LSPI is a scare tactic way more than reality.

The 2016 Hemi 5.7L calls for 5w20, just blending a bit using up quarts from the clearance sale. The total quartz 0w20 is pretty light to begin with, so two quarts of 5w30 made it a little thicker.
I've done what you're doing many times with other brands of oil (using oils from the same company). The difference here is the Total Quartz 0w20 is very high in moly IIRC from the VOA on this board...the 5w30 has virtually none...so the formulas are different even though they are from the same manufacturer...

I've done what you're doing many times with other brands of oil (using oils from the same company). The difference here is the Total Quartz 0w20 is very high in moly IIRC from the VOA on this board...the 5w30 has virtually none...so the formulas are different even though they are from the same manufacturer...
One thinks Total would have added moly if it was needed for that particular formulation. Maybe there was a reason they didn't...?

One thinks Total would have added moly if it was needed for that particular formulation. Maybe there was a reason they didn't...?
Maybe there is a reason...IDK....I'm just pointing out that the OPs mix doesn't have the same amount of moly that TQ thought necessary for their 20W oil because he diluted it with 5w30 but still has a 20W oil. Does it matter?...who knows.

Maybe there is a reason...IDK....I'm just pointing out that the OPs mix doesn't have the same amount of moly that TQ thought necessary for their 20W oil because he diluted it with 5w30 but still has a 20W oil. Does it matter?...who knows.
There should be a reason or multiple reasons. Even HPL 5W-30 Euro lacks moly in their formula. I believe moly reacted negatively with with the rest of their additive package.

Not saying Total is a bad oil; but LSPI is a boogeyman that’s never been fully proven to exist in real life. May exist on paper, sure; but that’s where marketing justifies their budget rather than justifying their oil’s position in the market. LSPI is a scare tactic way more than reality.
Being a member of half a dozen groups on Facebook, I have seen hundreds of pictures and posts around this topic, yet, it has never happened to me or the folks that I know. It's something I wish not to experiment with 😁

There's really no way to prove it, but IMO many of the Hyundai/Kia GDI Theta engine issues are (at least somewhat) related-residue builds up on intake valves, flakes off into the combustion chambers, suddenly very bad things start happening, from destroyed rod bearings to outright block ventilation... Or calcium deposits cause LSPI, stressing an already flimsy bottom end, too.

Back